• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Liver disease

anamaria

Warren Scout
Does anyone know anything about liver disease in bunnys? what are the symptoms and what treatment is there?
thanks
zoe

I have found that rabbits with liver problems do mucus poos or really stodgy runny poos, they drink a lot and causing their urine to be clear.

A blood test would give a good indication to liver problems, followed by an ultra sound.

Its a bit hard to give a good reply with out something a bit more specific to go on

Cloud was drinking loads, like Liz says, and his back end was soaked too. He was also more vicious than normal, which indicated he was not feeling good.

When seen by a vet his liver was severely enlarged (although, for reasons unknown to everyone, shrunk back to normal size by 10 days later. he then proceeded to have transient liver problems for the rest of his life- 6 months).

I have found that rabbits with liver problems do mucus poos or really stodgy runny poos, they drink a lot and causing their urine to be clear.

A blood test would give a good indication to liver problems, followed by an ultra sound.

Its a bit hard to give a good reply with out something a bit more specific to go on

my Charlie lost a lot of weight and has been getting a dirty bottom, she has runny/soft poos. she did have a few days when she wasn't eating as much as normal, this was when we took her to the vets but she is eating normally now. the vet ruled out teeth problems and put her on panacur and baytril for a week and we are going back tomorrow to see if there is improvement. he said if there was no improvement then it could be liver disease. i don't think she has gained any weight this week and her poos are still the same. :(

Back