• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Recovery from dental extraction

Chris10

Young Bun
Just wanted some advice really. I dropped Gypsy off at the vets this morning as she needs to have her incisors removed and back teeth filed down. When I got there the vet said that they may keep her overnight if she does not eat after the op- this concerned me for a couple of reasons. Firstly Gypsy is a very fussy eater so the chances are that what they give her to eat wont be of her liking anyway, secondly I think she would recover better with the company of her boyfriend in an environment she is familiar with. Plus I know her favourite fresh foods so I think I stand a better chance of finding something she will eat. I have had experience of syringe feeding bunnies who dont eat either so I want to take her home whether she is eating or not. Does this sound like a sensible idea or do people think I would be silly to go against the vets advice?

Just wanted some advice really. I dropped Gypsy off at the vets this morning as she needs to have her incisors removed and back teeth filed down. When I got there the vet said that they may keep her overnight if she does not eat after the op- this concerned me for a couple of reasons. Firstly Gypsy is a very fussy eater so the chances are that what they give her to eat wont be of her liking anyway, secondly I think she would recover better with the company of her boyfriend in an environment she is familiar with. Plus I know her favourite fresh foods so I think I stand a better chance of finding something she will eat. I have had experience of syringe feeding bunnies who dont eat either so I want to take her home whether she is eating or not. Does this sound like a sensible idea or do people think I would be silly to go against the vets advice?

If you are confident syringe feeding and if her bonded partner is at home then yes I really do agree that she would be better off at home with you, and I would certainly request the same. The only reason she would need stay in is if the owner is not able to syringe feed confidently and/or if bun needs to be on a drip for IV fluids or there are complications post-op, but this shouldn't be necessary routinely. A lot of rabbit owners are not able to care for their bun at home in the way you can and this is why they say they will keep her in, it is the responsible thing for them to do. It also matters whether or not their clinic is staffed 24 hours. If she was to be left all night with no care she would definitely be better at home. I have certainly experienced and heard from many other owners that most buns make a much better recovery back home in familiar surroundings if this is possible.

Personally if it were my bun, I would have insisted the other bun go with her today so that they are not separated and any strange vet smells are transferred to the partner bun too, separation of this kind can break a bond. If they insist she must stay in I would ask to take him along and leave him there overnight beside her. If they wish to monitor her droppings then he can be placed in a carry cage inside her cage if possible so contact can be maintained... esp if they have a dog kennel available. Bonded pairs should be kept together at all times really unless not possible for medical reasons.
I would take him to go and collect her and rub him with a cloth and then rub her with it when you pick her up - put them in the carrier together.

I would also make sure if I was taking bun home that she was fully filled up on sub-cut fluids and analgesia. :)

Thank you so much, that was very helpful. I took a weeks holiday from work so I could make sure she was ok after the op- didnt think they would want to keep her in, but having spoken to you Im very confident in telling them I will be taking her home (providing no complications). I never thought about their bond whilst she was at the vets so Im glad you mentioned it. The vet did say she would be given plenty of analgesia post op to encourage her to eat, but when I ring them this afternoon I will let them know I want to take her home tonight so ask them to arrange any extra painkillers (I have metacam at home anyway though!).

Thank you so much for your help though, she might be eating when I pick her up though, so fingers crossed :)

Thank you so much, that was very helpful. I took a weeks holiday from work so I could make sure she was ok after the op- didnt think they would want to keep her in, but having spoken to you Im very confident in telling them I will be taking her home (providing no complications). I never thought about their bond whilst she was at the vets so Im glad you mentioned it. The vet did say she would be given plenty of analgesia post op to encourage her to eat, but when I ring them this afternoon I will let them know I want to take her home tonight so ask them to arrange any extra painkillers (I have metacam at home anyway though!).

Thank you so much for your help though, she might be eating when I pick her up though, so fingers crossed :)

Fingers and paws crossed here.

When you call just make sure she was given a bolus of fluid during the GA to keep her hydrated. If not, she may need some sub-cuts before you collect her. Hydration and analgesia are the key things for any bun recovering from illnes or post-operatively.

My Herbie recently had the same op. I got him home although he was not eating as the vets knew me and knew that he would get better care at home.

I just shredded up veg and herbs and eventually got him to eat after a while. He was really wobbly for a bit tho!

Just say to the vets that you are confident in syringe feeding and are wanting her home.

Well I have Gypsy home, they didnt need to keep her after all as she began eating at the vets. My poor baby is very sleepy tho :( Hope she perks up soon.

Well I have Gypsy home, they didnt need to keep her after all as she began eating at the vets. My poor baby is very sleepy tho :( Hope she perks up soon.

Hows the bambino today? My Herbie wasn't himself for a couple of days really.

Hope Gypsy is feeling better today?
I remember Blakey being very sleepy and shakey after her inciscor removal, she was sooo not liking the critical care either. The day after though she was nomming pellets like nothing had ever happened.
Lots of healing vibes for your little girl,
X

Thanks for all your posts, she was hoovering up pellets later that night lol and Im so glad I got the extraction done now as she is managing fine, just needs things cut up a little smaller, she hoovers up her spring greens champion when I cut them into strips lol, just like spaghetti, which she couldnt actually do before so Im impressed, now just keeping my fingers crossed the teeth dont grow back!

Thanks for all your posts, she was hoovering up pellets later that night lol and Im so glad I got the extraction done now as she is managing fine, just needs things cut up a little smaller, she hoovers up her spring greens champion when I cut them into strips lol, just like spaghetti, which she couldnt actually do before so Im impressed, now just keeping my fingers crossed the teeth dont grow back!

Thats great, she sounds just like my boy.
Sounds like a wee gannet!

Back