• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could you afford vet treatment?

Could you afford vet treatment in excess of £1000?

• Yes

Votes: 58 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 29 28.2%
  • Only if their insurance covers it

Votes: 16 15.5%

• Total voters

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
......For your rabbits if they suddenly needed an expensive operation, ie in excess of £1000?

I was just wondering, as Steve and I have been having some "discussions" about Elwoods possible treatment.

I know a few bunnies have needed ops to pin their bones in recent months, which haven't been cheap and a few other bunnies have had referral treatment. But their are also members who have mantioned that there is no way they could afford referral treatment.

I am not judging anyone here, just curious as to what peoples situations are regarding expensive treatment.

Just adding a poll

Financially I could just about squeeze it out (I try to keep a certain amount in my bank account at any given time- failing at the moment though :lol: and I recently got given some money from my grandparents which would sort that), however, I know for sure my parents could afford it and would want to help out. I think maybe we could go halves or something on it.

I voted yes, feel very lucky that if needed to we could afford it. Still hope it doesn't happen tho.

Hope Elwood is doing ok. Perhaps a fundraiser for his treatment??

Its great when parents can help you out :D They offered to lend us the money for Theo's referral op as that was £2000 but in the end we decised against it as it was too invasive. But at least we didn't have to worry about finances in our decision :)

I voted yes, feel very lucky that if needed to we could afford it. Still hope it doesn't happen tho.

Hope Elwood is doing ok. Perhaps a fundraiser for his treatment??

We still don;t know what Elwoods options are, but I want to be prepared. Steve is saying that we can;t afford it, and that he also can;t take time off work to go to the referral clinic etc. I am saying I would remortgage the house and sell a kidney for Elwood if it would help him. You can imagine the " friendly discussions" we are having :lol:

I could manage £1000, but not much more than that. I wouldn't have any savings left afterwards either!
I just hope I never have anything so serious wrong with any of my animals, but of course you can never predict...

I voted yes, but I could only afford it once - if it happened and then another bun got sick then no. If I had more than one sick bun at once, I know my dad would lend me the money though so I try not to worry.

When I got buns I had no idea how much vets bills could cost, I'm still shocked now when some people mention figures on here. Can't even imagine how high your vet bills must be Liz :( I hope everything works out for you and Elwood xx

I'm sure we'd come up with the money.. By we, I mean my OH would :lol:

Thinking of Elwood x

Its great when parents can help you out :D They offered to lend us the money for Theo's referral op as that was £2000 but in the end we decised against it as it was too invasive. But at least we didn't have to worry about finances in our decision :)

I am incredibly appreciative of my parents and the fact they can help out financially. I hate taking money from them so don't really do it, but knowing they are there as a 'back up' makes it so much easier.

Hopefully it won't ever be an issue though.

I hope that you and Steve can work out the best way forward for Elwood, a way that you both feel works for all of you.

I said only if the insurance covered it

but....I know if princess did have high vets fees like that and insurance didnt cover it family between them would help me

I could, as I have still got some savings, despite having to fork out £2000 getting the fence, patio and new kennel which I wasn't expecting, on top of paying for a new kitchen which was planned, but which has ended costing me more than expected for varoius reasons). But, I did insure my two buns before and probably will insure the new ones. Would be interested to know how often people have had to claim for expensive treatment. Is that just for one bun? :?

Will get ripped to shreads here and probably evicted from the forum..... but...

I don't think that I could find £1000 plus for a vet treatment. It depends entirely what the procedure was and what the long term outlook would be for the rabbit. I learned a lesson the hard way with my rabbit Pippa. The vet strung us along with operations and teeth removal and absess draining. I wish that we had let her go at the beginning and not dragged her on. IN SOME CASES (not everyone!!) the vets continually offer hope with more and more treatment when I think I would question what is best for the rabbit.

However say one of mine broke a limb and was otherwise ok I hope that I could find the money somehow.

I could only if the insurance covered it, as I've already spent all my savings on my bunnies :oops:

But I'm sure I could work out a repayment plan with my vet if necessary, considering how much I spend there.....

I don't think that I could find £1000 plus for a vet treatment. It depends entirely what the procedure was and what the long term outlook would be for the rabbit. I learned a lesson the hard way with my rabbit Pippa. The vet strung us along with operations and teeth removal and absess draining. I wish that we had let her go at the beginning and not dragged her on. IN SOME CASES (not everyone!!) the vets continually offer hope with more and more treatment when I think I would question what is best for the rabbit.

However say one of mine broke a limb and was otherwise ok I hope that I could find the money somehow.

Well I wont rip you to shreads, I think you have perfectly valid point.

I was thinking more of a one off op with a good prognosis that you have decided would be in the best interest of your rabbit and where the only decision left to make was whteher you could afford it.

There are definately situations where the treatment on offer is not the best way to go.

Once we know what Elwoods options are, we will certainly be thinking very carefully what is in his best interest first before we even consider whether we can afford it :)

I completely agree with Liz too. Expensive procedures are not always in the best interests of the bunnies involved, and that is vitally important when it comes to making the decision, as well as finances.

Say one of mine broke a leg, I would make a different decision based on different bunnies. I would not put Roger through all that because he would never cope with the intensive human involvement, even if I did have the money.

Not really no but I'd put in on a credit card which I've done before. When My little Molly became ill I paid over £900 to try and get her well( It didnt work :cry:)

I can but I have been lucky in that I havent had a lot of sick buns. If I was in your position with a lot of regular vets bills then no way

I know someone that said if her vet bill was above £100 then the vet would have to pts her cat down. She said " I have 3 kids and they come first"
Her husband earns £30k a year and she has just purchased them a trampoline,Swing set and climbing frame over £500 spent there :roll:
I couldn't believe it when she told me that!

My answer would be along the lines of MissMinnies and Blackberry & Co. I definitely could not say yes full stop. but not a no full stop either. And my bunnies arent insured so that one wasnt an option for me.
I woul have to say it would depend of the nature of the treatment, the potential risks, the chance of success, the bunnies nature and tolerance of the treatment, the chance of recurrence and also whether my vet would arrange a payment plan with me, which I think mine would. Oh and also any potential other bunnies I had an what their needs were.
As tbh obviously I wouldnt know definitely until the event arose but my leaning is towards no? :oops: I have 3 kids, potentially still another 11 bunnies to think of, and I'm not sure I could justify spending in excess of £1000 on one when I have responsibility to the others too and what that money could give my kids, or my other buns in terms of treatment etc :oops::oops: I'm a bit afraid now I've said that! :oops:
Soooo... I didnt vote on the poll as I cant give a straight answer!

I completely agree with Liz too. Expensive procedures are not always in the best interests of the bunnies involved, and that is vitally important when it comes to making the decision, as well as finances.

Thank you both. Thought I might be heading to forum eviction!!

:):)

Back