• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice needed on babies

Collielover

Mama Doe
Hi one of my fosters gave birth today to six wee ones

She was rescued about a month ago with 9 others ..Who were all living in mix sex groups. She had just had a litter the night before but all the babies were did when we did the rescue . We dont know how the died if it was the mother or the buck who was still in with her

What I would like to know do I need to do anything all the babies are alive just now .

I have never had baby rabbits before and have been trying to read up on things

I have helped raised puppies and kittens but I know this is different are they anything I should be doing to help these we ones stay alife and have the best start in life

You need to check them everday. Mum shouldn't mind, just make sure your hands don't smell of anything strong (and if she is a stresshead then give her a stroke first).

You need to check there are no dead babies in the nest, that all babies look like they have swallowed a pingpong ball (this means they have been fed- but won't necessarily happen until 24-48 hours after birth), that none have any injuries, all are still in the nest, etc.

Are they in a nest box?

You need to check them everday. Mum shouldn't mind, just make sure your hands don't smell of anything strong (and if she is a stresshead then give her a stroke first).

You need to check there are no dead babies in the nest, that all babies look like they have swallowed a pingpong ball (this means they have been fed- but won't necessarily happen until 24-48 hours after birth), that none have any injuries, all are still in the nest, etc.

Are they in a nest box?

well a sort of next box there in a bottom of a carry case I will move them to a bigger box in a week or so as she always used this for sleeping in and dont want to upset her at the moment

Back