• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I complain?

KTJ

Alpha Buck
I went somewhere today with my boyfriend (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say on here where it was, hence why I've edited it out of the pictures) and we had a really nice afternoon, but as we were leaving, Will pointed out the rabbits that I had failed to notice when we went in... That was because they were basically hidden away under the wooden walkway with no grass, and no hay. Below are some of the photos I took....

ref1.jpg

ref2.jpg

ref3.jpg

Not only was I unimpressed by the fact they had an un-neutered buck and an un-speyed doe in the same "hutch", but to me, the sign about the rabbits almost promotes breeding to anyone who reads it. There is nothing to say where the bunnies go/what happens to them, and this worries me.

Also, none of the rabbits had access to hay, and the only grass I saw was literally half an handful (I do realise that they may have already eaten some, but still, it wasn't enough) They lived completely on uneven concrete, and there were no toys or anything for them to do/interact with.

Finally, the water container was green at the bottom- had algae growing. I have only visited this place once, but I was happy with everything apart from the care given to the rabbits on show. The rabbits were absolutely gorgeous, but the female seemed slightly underweight and the 2 males seemed very lethergic.

I have no idea what action to take, if any. Do I just write and say that I would liked to have seen the rabbit's food and water containers cleaner, and more information on promoting good pet care? Or is it none of my business?
Either way, when I was there, I felt compelled to take photos and my boyfriend even told me to "calm down" and stop being such a "rabbit activist" as I can't save them all.......

Definately complain - try trading standards if you dont get anywhere with the place. It could just be ignorance and they may be grateful of advice

That looks disgusting ! I would certainly say something about that, they surely have a responsibility to educate if they are somewhere visited by the general public.

Definately write a strong letter. It's unbelievable how little they seem to know about rabbits. I love how they seem to think a 'Buck' is a breed, not to mention the unsuitable habitat and green slime for drinking water... :roll::evil::censored:

Did they have a shelter to hide in?

That is not right at all, how irresponsible to leave buns in that state, def needs reporting asap. xxxxxxxx

:evil: that water is disgusting

I would report it personally

I know :cry: The white tube you can see goes directly into the water container, it is the same for the food. It all just seems so insensitive and un-personal. Even my bun Flopsy who doesn't seem to like me touching him loves being around me, and the interaction, but if thats the way the buns at the place get fed, just having food and water chucked down a tube, they must be quite bored and not used to being handled/loved :(

Definately write a strong letter. It's unbelievable how little they seem to know about rabbits. I love how they seem to think a 'Buck' is a breed, not to mention the unsuitable habitat and green slime for drinking water... :roll::evil::censored:

Did they have a shelter to hide in?

Yes the rabbits did have a shelter, it was like a large wooden box full of bedding, but I couldn't see inside. The rabbits just looked so sad and bored :( I can still see their gorgeous little faces in my mind, and it's making me sad. I want to help them live better, happier lives, I'm so glad I have the support of people on here :)

Yes the rabbits did have a shelter, it was like a large wooden box full of bedding, but I couldn't see inside. The rabbits just looked so sad and bored :( I can still see their gorgeous little faces in my mind, and it's making me sad. I want to help them live better, happier lives, I'm so glad I have the support of people on here :)

Try contacting them first and see if anything improves.

If that doesn't work send those pictures to the local paper and get them to send a reporter along - touristy places don't like any bad publicity....

Its hard to know what to do....I was in the same situation not long ago & just phoned the RSPCA helpline......after describing the scene of these rabbits - small accomadation - green bottles & no hay - just muesli mix - they asked me to hold and came back to say they would go and inspect - reason being ot due to space, or lack of hay or muesli mix but THE GREEN WATER!
They said it was because if this fact that they would investigate because fresh water doesnt let algae grow so the water obviously wasnt change doften enough.
They called me back after inspecting & said that the rabbits roam at night in some pens? and the people were still cleaning out the bottles of water....:evil:

I went back to this place & all the bunnnies had been placed ina massive stable - loads of hay & straw & water.....at least now they could hop about - was abit strange seeing giants with minis.....and there was a couple in a hutch - but it was made better for them - before they were in 4ft cages....

So try the RSPCA or just ring them and ask why their condiditon is as you saw it? Perhasp they just need advice......they should know....but it really made me feel better when I saw what the RSPCA had done....it all helps.....good luck!:)

i can't see rspca doing anything as the chickens, ponies, horses are all kept in the same disguise state.
i've not been there for about 2 years but as far as i can remember there was rabbit in the same accomodation then

That looks disgusting ! I would certainly say something about that, they surely have a responsibility to educate if they are somewhere visited by the general public.

I agree with this, the sign is written in such a way that it is directed at kids and they are not showing children how to look after them properly .

Apart from the hideous living conditions, there really is a terrible message being put across here. Personally, i'd contact the RWAF for advice on the best way to complain about this place, they may also log it to look at themselves. The whole thing is outrageously depressing :cry: I think I would be inclined to ask to see who is in charge and also write a strong letter to them to back it up - disgusting!

Apart from the hideous living conditions, there really is a terrible message being put across here. Personally, i'd contact the RWAF for advice on the best way to complain about this place, they may also log it to look at themselves. The whole thing is outrageously depressing :cry: I think I would be inclined to ask to see who is in charge and also write a strong letter to them to back it up - disgusting!

Good idea!;)

Thank you for all the support and advice in regards to the actions I need to take in order to help these buns. I am certainly not going to let it drop, because it's still on my mind today and I am still angry that somewhere which has animals on show for the public to view are in such horrible conditions, and the lack of good information on rabbit care is disgraceful.
I plan to contact the RWAF and seek advice on how best to go about it, and I will definitely be writing a complaint to the actual place.
The care and conditions of all the other animals, like demelza said (if we're on about the same place) was perfectly acceptable, but I don't see why the welfare of the rabbits should be overlooked.
Thanks again for the advice, let's hope something can be done about these buns! :)

ps. Georgeypudding- the place I visited is more of a tourist attraction, I live in a resort where tourists come down and stay, so the majority of their business are holidaymakers, so telling people not to go will hardly make a difference :( but thanks anyway, if I thought it would really threaten them, I'd do it!

no i meant the condition the animals are in is unaccepable especially the shires and shetland. the last time i went it was horrible

Back