• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dental bun owners. Were they accidental litters or a deliberate litter.

Was your dental bun(s) part of a deliberate litter or an accidental one?

• Deliberately bread by a *******

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Accidental litter.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Don't know if bun was intended or not.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Ha ha I don't have a dental bun :P

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

Carrie14

Mama Doe
Just asking as three out of four of my buns need dentals. The only one that doesn't is Sally who was an accidental litter:?

I have a lot of dental bunnies. Some came to me so I have no idea what their history is.

Three of them are related and from a particular breeder, but she was responsible and the dental issues showed when the bunnies were a couple of years old, so I suspect the same happened with their parents and they were bred before realising.

Same with the others actually. The rest of them were bred at mine with the exception of one. The one was a doe I bought in to breed from and she didn't show problems until she was 3, yet I bred her at one, so I couldn't have known and her pedigree was clear. I always intended to keep that particular line going (more in my heart than my head once I got involved in the rescue world), but have now neutered everyone because I won't be breeding from anybunny who could pass anything on like that.

Daphne has dental issues. She now has no front teeth (well, that's not technically true, one snapped at the root during removal so it's steadily growing back).

She came from a pet shop that bred their own rabbits. They're an awful shop, no standards of care what-so-ever. My conti came from there also and he had syphillis after being their breeding buck for six months.

I wish I'd known how rubbish they were sooner. :oops::(

Both mine who had terrible problems were bred intentionally. They were brother and sister from one and the only litter. Neither parents have displayed issues, yet four of the six babies born have. I guess it's a combination from both mum and dad and magnified in babies.
I didn't tick the first column though, because although they were intentional, had good homes not been found for them they all would have stayed where they were. They weren't irresponsibly bred for money.
All of their rabbits have now been spayed and neutered and after learning of my bunnies and the other one with terrible issues, there were no further litters, only ever the one. The friend I got them from bred them to keep and find good homes, not for money and had no idea about the issues and did the completely responsible thing upon learning how bad my babies and one other severe dental bun was.

My first bunny had malocclusion (sp). Her incisors were very badly aligned and she needed her molar spurs burring about 12 weeks apart, gradually getting to about 6 months between dentals.

She was bred by people who showed (she was a gorgeous chocolate lop). I haven't ticked any boxes though because although she was deliberately bred I don't know enough to form an opinion as to whether her parents had bad genes they passed on or if she was just unfortunate.

Fudge Sky Blackie and Gizmo have all had dentals.

Giz is from the first litter and the other 3 from the last.

It was accidental as mum and dad were both "Female"

Mum and dad have had no dentals and havent had many health problems but all babies i kept (2 were given away) have had many health problems all related to dentals and or gut problems :(

Fudge has the worst of all, bad dental disease and is a very colicy bun causing lots of gas and always in stasis. Blackie had dentals regularly and no inscisors, constant watery eyes and died of an impaction in his gut.

SKy and Giz have had one or two dentals, sky lives with 1 watery eye and they havent had any other problems (touch wood)

Marley my first dental bunny was part of a deliberate litter. He was abandoned by the breeder as he wasn't show standard

Bella was a pet shop bun, later rescued off Ebay by the lovely Erin. I am guessing that means she was part of a deliberate litter?

Charlie her son, was an accidental baby. Bella was pregnant when Erin rescued her.

Lily *might* be a dental bun, my vet says that her teeth are v misaligned. I'm not sure whether she was deliberately bred though.

I didn't tick the first column though, because although they were intentional, had good homes not been found for them they all would have stayed where they were. They weren't irresponsibly bred for money.
All of their rabbits have now been spayed and neutered and after learning of my bunnies and the other one with terrible issues, there were no further litters, only ever the one. .

The ** may mean something nice;)

I am so happy to hear they are not being bred any more. I am glad they cared enough.

I just get the feeling Pets@Home are still using the same line Tulip and Tiesto are from and that makes me so mad. But I guess you told the breeder, who would tell P@H:?

Well Leo was from Pets at Home... So I'm not suprised there are problems with his teeth :(

I haven't ticked any boxes though because although she was deliberately bred I don't know enough to form an opinion as to whether her parents had bad genes they passed on or if she was just unfortunate.

Don't worry if you don't know the history or anything. I am just curious, its not necessarily down to deliberate breeding or any one factor, but I just find it odd with my four:)

The ** may mean something nice;)

I am so happy to hear they are not being bred any more. I am glad they cared enough.

I just get the feeling Pets@Home are still using the same line Tulip and Tiesto are from and that makes me so mad. But I guess you told the breeder, who would tell P@H:?

Yes, I'm good friends with who I got the babies from. They had no indication as to any issues and so it never occured that this would happen. So of course, I told them and I am in contact with the other bunny's mummy, so they know how he is too. They were incredibly responsible, they have four bunnies now, all are neutered and happy. :)

Fudge Sky Blackie and Gizmo have all had dentals.

Giz is from the first litter and the other 3 from the last.

It was accidental as mum and dad were both "Female"

Mum and dad have had no dentals and havent had many health problems but all babies i kept (2 were given away) have had many health problems all related to dentals and or gut problems :(

Fudge has the worst of all, bad dental disease and is a very colicy bun causing lots of gas and always in stasis. Blackie had dentals regularly and no inscisors, constant watery eyes and died of an impaction in his gut.

SKy and Giz have had one or two dentals, sky lives with 1 watery eye and they havent had any other problems (touch wood)

Wow you have had a bad time of it:(

Do you know how the other two got on? And were Mum and Dad related?

Binky free Blackie:(

Charlies dental problems were caused by stress of moving, as he has only had issues since moving about 8 weeks ago. Although, it could be that dental problems are setting in later in life, as he is almost four now. He was the result of two P@H bunnies,not sure if they were intentionally bred though.

Frankie 'looks' to be an accidently litter, in that he is a lionhead/nethie cross breed. however he has misaligned front teeth. He came from Kirkby rescue, so could never be sure of his beginnings. he is little under a year old.

Yes, I'm good friends with who I got the babies from. They had no indication as to any issues and so it never occured that this would happen. So of course, I told them and I am in contact with the other bunny's mummy, so they know how he is too. They were incredibly responsible, they have four bunnies now, all are neutered and happy. :)

:D

Daphne has dental issues. She now has no front teeth (well, that's not technically true, one snapped at the root during removal so it's steadily growing back).

She came from a pet shop that bred their own rabbits. They're an awful shop, no standards of care what-so-ever. My conti came from there also and he had syphillis after being their breeding buck for six months.

I wish I'd known how rubbish they were sooner. :oops::(

Good luck getting the front one re-removed. The pet shop sounds evil:evil:

I am glad you didn't know how rubbish they were otherwise who knows where Daphne and your other bun would have ended up:)

Deliberate litter from a well-thought of show rabbit breeder. :roll:

:wave: I remember you in my last poll on dental buns:oops:

I remember looking really closely at a pic of your two trying to spot how they got teeth problems. Now I have two of my own I can really see the dished nose. Beautiful but lethal:(

After all the problems I have had/seen/read with animals, not just buns, that have been bred by breeders who think they know what they are doing I am beginning to get a bit annoyed to say the least.

I put accidental. 3 of my bunnys with dental probs are from when the kids let them out, unneutered. The other was from a planned litter, before i new about rescuing bunnies! My friend wanted a rabbit at the time, so we bred, her rabbit with my rabbit and ended up with 6. I kept 5 and she took one. I wanted to keep them as i grew very attached to them, so i did. The bunnys born afterwards, i felt responsible, as i'd been irresponsible not getting them neutered, and they have been with me ever since. I'm now neutering all my bunnys and once i've sorted out my own bunnies will be taking in some rescues.

Last edited:
I have no idea about the backgrounds of any my dental buns.

Kirkby rescue get quite a few BRC rung pedigree rabbits with dental problems BTW

Last edited:
I have no idea about the backgrounds of any my dental buns.

Kirkby rescue get quite a lot of BRC rung pedigree rabbits with dental problems BTW

:cry: Why do they keep on:evil: I feel like I want to round up all these breeders and give them a few dental problems:censored: And I am a really passive person..

Back