• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit breeds for first time owners

I am planning on owning Rabbits. What Rabbit Breeds do you suggest for first time owners?
I don't want something really big and I love small Rabbits.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the rabbit as much as the breed. I would contact your local rescue they should be able to suggest rabbits suitable for you. Of the breeds I have owned I have found Dutch or Dutch cross to be the most hardy and illness free

I think it depends on the rabbit as much as the breed. I would contact your local rescue they should be able to suggest rabbits suitable for you. Of the breeds I have owned I have found Dutch or Dutch cross to be the most hardy and illness free
My best friend has a Rabbit named Peter(Original, I know). I think he's a Dwarf but I'm really not for sure. He's REALLY cute though.

Are you sure you don't want anything too big?

French Lops are gorgeous, and I've never met a nasty one. :love::love:

Over here Holland Lops are call Minilops.

I think your best bet, as has already been suggested, is to go to a rescue and to meet the bunnies and choose those whose personalities you feel would fit in your home. Far better to choose by personality than breed, I think :)

I'm a netherland dwarf fan, but one of the best bunnies I ever came across was a dwarf lop, so breed preference can mean very little.

I have a Holland lop and he's lovely. But I only got him because at the time there were no suitable males in rescues near me.
Usually at rescues they will be able to tell you something about the rabbit's personality.

We've got dutches and crossbreed lops (and now a crossbreed uppy-eared bun) and to be honest I have found that they all have very individual and unique personalities anyway - depends on their character traits and their experiences I think. But thats just my own view. Ours are all rescue bunnies and we do find out about their personalities/temperament/behaviours from the rescues beforehand to give us the best idea.

Good luck with your search :wave:

I am planning on owning Rabbits. What Rabbit Breeds do you suggest for first time owners?
I don't want something really big and I love small Rabbits.

depends what you want from your rabbit are you wanting a breed that likes to sit on your knee and be snuggled and doesnt do much more if so there is a lovely breed called sables or smoke pearl they just love attention and are very lazy, mini lops and nethies are small breeds mini lops are more laid back than nethies and nethies are much harder to bond with other rabbits it can be done but its difficult
cashmere lops and lionlops are fab but need alot of grooming
polish not a great breed for children they are fiesty and jumpy and bite lol
dutch are quite nice and placid english bunnies are jumpy
it all depends on what you want if you dont want a pedigree go for a cross breed i love cross breeds i have a few they are great fun
ann x

just to say there are different opinions..I agree with most of Jazzywoos above post except for
we have not found nethies hard to bond and they can be very varied in temperament
Dutchies can be full of mischief!:D
My advice would be to visit a decent rescue and meet the rabbits, the rescue should be honest about character and the animals will already have been neutered and vacs and their adult traits showing:D

just to say there are different opinions..I agree with most of Jazzywoos above post except for
we have not found nethies hard to bond and they can be very varied in temperament
Dutchies can be full of mischief!:D
My advice would be to visit a decent rescue and meet the rabbits, the rescue should be honest about character and the animals will already have been neutered and vacs and their adult traits showing:D

well i do have bonded nethies i just found it harder than most the breeds we keep
yes if your not wanting show bunies and dont mind not knowing full back ground etc get a rescue i have a few rescues ones that have been found dumped or dumped on my door step lol but they are fab ok you wont know it family tree and genetic history but they do provide so much love and joy to your lives ;)

This :) Best to go along and you should be able to meet the bunnies :love:

Back