• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

End stage dental disease

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone else currently got a bun with the final stages of dental disease?

I have 2 at the moment with boney growths on their jaw and very few teeth, and every so often I get a bit teary at the knowledge that they aren't going to get any better, and will never be off medication again :cry:

I dunno why it's bothering me particularly today, but feeling a bit down :cry:

Yes, I have 5, 2 worse than the other 3, it's really heartbreaking knowing that there is nothing else I can do for them except give them their medications and keep a very close eye on them

I know just how you feel:cry::cry::cry:

I console myself by remembering the positive side of what we have achieved for them and making them as comforatable as possible

I haven't at the moment, we have been very lucky in that department recently. But we have had many in the past.

I know what you mean, I find dental disease particularly upsetting and distressing :( You are bound to have days like today

I know you are giving them wonderful care, and because of this their lives have already been extended :)

Try to find some time for yourself and indulge yourself a little, you deserve it xx

I have two here, Chrissie and Amy.
It is sad but then as long as they are comfortable and we know when the time is right to let them go, then we've done all we can ..both of our bad ones would have been pts if we hadn't taken them so they have had an extended and hopefully happy life ..as yours have too

I've got several rabbits here like that who the vet says shouldn't be able to eat. But they do, and are happy so on we go. They have been like this for ages too. When Badger arrived last year with a golf ball sized bony abcess under his
chin I never thought I would have him more than a year later, but he is fitter than ever and aside from a penicillin jab every three days and the occasional groom he needs nothing except his grated veg. The toothy buns often outlive apparantly healthy rabbits so try not to dwell on their trouble. They don't.

I had Rowan who had no back or front teeth and a horrible abcess for 4 years, he had no right to keep going, but he did. I eventually lost him last year, but he isn't forgotten, not by me nor by Sage who simply will not accept another partner.

Cheers guys. Knowing that others are going through the same thing doesn't make it better, but it does make you feel like you're not alone.

As has been said, it's amazing how tough rabbits can be. It'll be a year in August since I got Vernon, and he doing great (hope I'm not tempting fate!). His previous owner was going to have him PTS, mainly due to the cost/inconvenience of his dental problems, so I guess that's an extra year of life he's had already.

I'm dealing with this at the moment- i know what you mean. My blazes teeth are terrible. Sunnys dropped out due to being rotten, Shadow has mallocursion. I feel guilty for having fed them a high pellet diet,even though they have had loads of hay also. Patch is a likely dental bunny too.

I know how you feel. I wish that i could do something to make it better, rather than just meds and constant dentals.

*hugs* x

Back