• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Signs of Pain or discomfort

Shellypops

Wise Old Thumper
Hello all was just just haveing a little think, and thought that it would be a good idea to have a thread that tells us the signs that we should look out for if our little friends are in any pain?

can only comment on stasis/gas pain

tummy pressing into the ground, awful sight :cry::cry::cry:

Alvin will also go and hide somewhere dark to die and wont move at all :cry:

Also the shifting between haunched and tummy pressing alot, cant get comfy

sitting in the litter tray with tail up, not eating and jumping out a few mins later having produced nothing

he once even rolled onto his back to try and relieve his tummy ache :(

*having chills down the spine thinking about it*

Teeth grinding, tummy pressed to the floor as Donna described, the hunched up in a corner pose, refusing food, taking food but dropping it again.

When Bubbles first had tooth problems, the first I knew of it was when she refused food and went off down into the run and started flopping on her back, which wasn't like her at all. So, I would say abnormal behaviour 'for them' is always a sign that something could be up, so it's a good idea to get to know your bunnies really well.

Teeth grinding, tummy pressed to the floor as Donna described, the hunched up in a corner pose, refusing food, taking food but dropping it again.

When Bubbles first had tooth problems, the first I knew of it was when she refused food and went off down into the run and started flopping on her back, which wasn't like her at all. So, I would say abnormal behaviour 'for them' is always a sign that something could be up, so it's a good idea to get to know your bunnies really well.

For sure :thumb:

Is rapid breathing a bad sign?

I find that while there are standard pain symptoms for stasis type problems, there are other more individual symptoms for pain when the pain is for different reasons.

For example, When wesley is in pain he breathes really fast, this happened when his castration became infected and when he sprained his leg,

Emmy lou actually stopped using her back legs when she was in severe pain. We thought she had broken them or something similar, but she actually had stomach cancer :(

Another bunny repeatedly lifted up alternate front legs, shifting wait from one to the other continually.

I know there have been other indicators of pain but can't think of them right now

I think working on the idea that any behaviour that is abnormal for your bunny indicates some sort of issue should work.

We've had fast breathing, slow breathing, flopped out, fidgety, pressed down stomach, head down, ears down, cool ears, warm ears, eyes half closed, eyes wide open, not coming when they would normally.

We've had more than that, but those are standard ones, off the top of my head.

I really, really think it comes down to knowing your buns behaviour and anything different being looked at.

I think that you know your bunny and you will notice slight changes in their behavious. Makes you paranoid though :oops: I've trundled down to the vets even when i think i'm being paranoid but i have alway been right to take them in.

Ollie sat in the night box and wouldn't come out or eat when his mouth hurt and when Amber punched him in the eye. The only symptom Amber shows is not even sniffing the food offered.

I have mistaken dirty looks for pain, usually when I have taken something they shouldn't have off them, the glare narrowed eyes looks similar to when Bobby had her spay and needed pain reilef

When Bunnie had Stasis episode coming she would show following signs:

Reduction in hay eating
Eating her raisons

When in Stasis:

Cold
Not eating
Pooping
pressing tummy into floor
grinding teeth
eyes not as bright and fully open
use to get into her dog bed by our feet and not leave our side and just wanted cuddles

and of course we could just tell she was poorly or heading for an episode by her change of ways.

Once I woke up and she was in front room and I could just sense something was not right, walked into front room and there she was in a very poorly state.

When she had impaction which I was unaware of what was happening:

Came home after leaving her for 3 1/2 hours, was perfectly fine when left, pooing and eating food.

Walked into front room saw poos over floor in front off pen (she was litter trained and never done this ever), once again could sense something wrong and found her behind sofa pressing tummy into floor and not looking great.

Happened so fast with no warning signs

My baby died early next morning in vet hospital:cry:

Having buns as house buns is great as know their behaviour inside and out and can spot signs straight away.

When Bunnie had Stasis episode coming she would show following signs:

Reduction in hay eating
Eating her raisons

When in Stasis:

Cold
Not eating
Pooping
pressing tummy into floor
grinding teeth
eyes not as bright and fully open
use to get into her dog bed by our feet and not leave our side and just wanted cuddles

and of course we could just tell she was poorly or heading for an episode by her change of ways.

Once I woke up and she was in front room and I could just sense something was not right, walked into front room and there she was in a very poorly state.

When she had impaction which I was unaware of what was happening:

Came home after leaving her for 3 1/2 hours, was perfectly fine when left, pooing and eating food.

Walked into front room saw poos over floor in front off pen (she was litter trained and never done this ever), once again could sense something wrong and found her behind sofa pressing tummy into floor and not looking great.

Happened so fast with no warning signs

My baby died early next morning in vet hospital:cry:

Having buns as house buns is great as know their behaviour inside and out and can spot signs straight away.

thats really strange getting a feeling... once Alvin darted from the one room into his cage carrier two hours after eating a belly full of dandelion leaves and i KNEW he was ill.. sure enough he was on hunger strike.. like a sixth sense.. very very weird indeed.. never had that feeling since.. hope its still about though i like being connected to Alvin :love::love::love:

I think the best thing is to get to know your bun really well.

Knowing what is fav food, what affection they like/dislike, fav place to sleep/toilet, what times they should be doing all this etc.

That was one of the hardest things with Tulip. She was so ill the moment I got her, I didn't know what was normal and what was a bad sign for her. I had to spend an awful long time with her to get to know her quick. (Was a fantastic excuse with o/h every time he caught me laying on the floor with her too. "I HAVE to do this honey":oops:)

Just had personal experience of this this morning :?

Barnaby was tummy pressing at first and then just sat in the corner resting his belly on his back legs. When you watched him breathe it would be two normal-ish breaths then a really ragged one with tooth grinding. His ears were really cold and his eyes half closed but if he got a big pain they'd open really wide. Poor little lad.

thats really strange getting a feeling... once Alvin darted from the one room into his cage carrier two hours after eating a belly full of dandelion leaves and i KNEW he was ill.. sure enough he was on hunger strike.. like a sixth sense.. very very weird indeed.. never had that feeling since.. hope its still about though i like being connected to Alvin :love::love::love:

I always could feel/sense it before even seeing her, it's strange. I knew she was going to die that night as well. Thats why gave her loads of hugs and kisses at vets told her I love her and said goodbye and see her one day soon as I knew that was it, her time had come.:cry:

Just had personal experience of this this morning :?

Barnaby was tummy pressing at first and then just sat in the corner resting his belly on his back legs. When you watched him breathe it would be two normal-ish breaths then a really ragged one with tooth grinding. His ears were really cold and his eyes half closed but if he got a big pain they'd open really wide. Poor little lad.

ahh bless him, is he ok??

Back