• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can Moulting Affect Their Appetite & Behaviour?

sonnet

Alpha Buck
I was wondering if moulting can affect a buns behaviour & appetite.

Dylan is having a late moult due to the weather fluctuations we've had this year. It is his first proper adult moult as he's one & a half - it has been going on for a few weeks now & in that time he has become a ravaneous beastie! :lol: He has his excel pellets twice daily, various veges/grass aswell as unlimited hay (timothy/orchard) but he always seems hungry!
Also he has started digging out all of his litter from his litter tray every day now for the last few weeks whereas previously he never did that.

Could both of these changes be down to moulting? He isn't de-plummed but I didn't feel it was hormonal as he has been hormonal for a while now (ie humping his football) without doing the above.

Apart from those changes he's still his happy, cheeky, fussy self.

could be weather moult and hormones combined,

increase in appitite could due to the moult to help fur pass through the gut easier, do you brush him at all ??

hormones signs of increased mad dashes circling, grunts noises, chinning, mounting,

from what ive noticed on this forum moulting has been known to make buns a bit blue not more hyper

Im not sure im just assuming :)

Our boy got all moody during his moult. Hiding under the seats, basically been grumpy for few weeks while it went on.
But before his neuter he did get very hyper, it could be that...
Sorry not sure what could be up with your Bun :oops:
Bit of both maybe...:roll:

Straight from a rabbit vet - " Rabbits need to increase their energy by 40% to moult" :shock:
I think that accounts for why your bun is ravenous!!
It's considered to be a significant stress factor too. So we have to be vigilant for signs of gut slow down, when there are other stress factors eg. heat & dehydration around too. (Bunnies don't sweat, but they lose a lot of water from the airways when they breath more quickly to cool down)

Straight from a rabbit vet - " Rabbits need to increase their energy by 40% to moult" :shock:
I think that accounts for why your bun is ravenous!!
It's considered to be a significant stress factor too. So we have to be vigilant for signs of gut slow down, when there are other stress factors eg. heat & dehydration around too. (Bunnies don't sweat, but they lose a lot of water from the airways when they breath more quickly to cool down)

Ah that would make sense then. He's been quite good in the heat so far as his setup helps with keeping him cooler but yes I will keep a look out for any changes in gut movement - thank you.

Ps-areia-yes I brush him everyday to try to help.

My Timmys going through a big moult at the moment aswell, but unlike Dylan hes significantly more irritable and abit quieter than usual.
Brushing and gentle plucking helps alot, and I also stroke Timmy with wet hands which alot of the loose fur sticks to, whilst cooling him down aswell :)

Back