• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

baytril?

breeze

Mama Doe
sorry if i sound abit dumb but is baytril the main antibiotic used by vets?every animal ive taken vets ill they have come away with baytril.my shelf now consists of 4 mini bottles.would it work out cheaper to just buy a large bottle?

It is the most common antibiotic used by vets. I'm afraid you can't buy it without a prescription though. If your rabbit is on long term treatment then it might be worth it, you would have to get a prescription from your vet though and they charge for this.

baytril--antibiotics

sorry if i sound abit dumb but is baytril the main antibiotic used by vets?every animal ive taken vets ill they have come away with baytril.my shelf now consists of 4 mini bottles.would it work out cheaper to just buy a large bottle?
this is a very touchy subject,,you should view my website,as there are many answers already to your questions,..check my profile for the address,..sincerely james waller --:love::wave:you,ll be glad you did...

I don't have experience with other animals but the reason it's always prescribed for rabbits is because it's the only one licensed for use with them.

Vets have a cascade system for choosing appropriate antibiotics which means they have to always use the one which is the lowest risk whilst still being appropriate for the situation, so most often this will be the licensed one ie baytril. In rabbits, the stronger antibiotics can have a negative effect on their digestive systems.

i think Baytrial is absolute rubbish its not the best antibiotic it was just marketed well and i was even told the same by a head vet she also said because its being used so much that germs are building up immunities to it:?

antibiotics

dear breeze,.there is no magic bullet,however if your rabbit is exibiting health problems,,baytril is a common safe antibiotic,,cultures can identify a given bacteria,and proper antibiotics for treatment,,there are stronger meds also available if treatment is ineffective with baytril,,ie.azithromycin,it is a four quadrant antibiotic which is be more effective in fighting bacteria--immunity is a strong possibility--thus azithromycin,//,yes antibotics have been over stated and massively abused--example is the doctor who treats common cold virus-with antibiotics/and this seems to be an epidemic caused by humans-i trust something here will help your understanding,,if not leave me a pm...sincerely james waller:love:

i think Baytrial is absolute rubbish its not the best antibiotic it was just marketed well and i was even told the same by a head vet she also said because its being used so much that germs are building up immunities to it:?

I can't say whether it's the best because I don't have a lot of experience of the other but I've had fishes with very nasty infections causing in particular ulcers and they were going on for weeks without any improvement (not even really slowed down) with the aquatic treatments I was using. The difference in 4 days from 2 Baytril injections was miraculous, so it is very effective, in the right circumstances.

my main problem with it is that bun has syphilis and vet perscribed this.im going back tomorrow and iv told them i want see a diff vet because he is now getting sores on his lips.

Baytril's efficacy is good against gram positive, reduced against gram negative and poor against anaerobic bacteria.

Injectable Depocillin is usually the antibiotic of choice to treat syphilis.

my main problem with it is that bun has syphilis and vet perscribed this.im going back tomorrow and iv told them i want see a diff vet because he is now getting sores on his lips.

I think I saw a thread yesterday that said penicillin injections were the only thing for Syphilis (but ONLY injected...they can't handle oral penicillin.)

sorry if i sound abit dumb but is baytril the main antibiotic used by vets?

Don't know about other animals but the reason it's used a lot in rabbits is because it's pretty much the only systemic antibiotic licenced for use in rabbits. Vets legally have to adhere to something called the 'prescribing cascade' which basically means that if there is a suitable product licensed for that use in that species, that must be used first and you can only move onto products used to treat the same condition in another species, or a different condition in a different species, if the one licensed for that animal is not suitable.

This means that many vets who are not familiar with the range of antibiotics suitable (but not licenced) for use in rabbits, tend to stick with baytril to play it safe, whereas those who are more comfortable knowing through experience that other ones work better, are happier to prescribe other ones. Those that are unlicenced are not necessarily any less safe, it's just that it's an expensive process to get them fully approved so most pharmaceutical companies don't bother.

Baytril is a perfectly good antibiotic in the right circumstances, but personally I think it's important to have a vet who is confident enough with a range of antibiotics to know when other choices are more appropriate.

well went the vets last night and different vet agreed baytril would do nothing.he was worried about giving him penicillin due to the affects so he has given him an injection and iv forgotten what,sure it started with a b?:? hes got to go back for an injection today and another one tomorrow.he said if these dont clear it then he will have to give the penicillin

Interesting, can you find out what it is? I still find it bizarre - penicillin is widely stated as "the" treatment for syphillis in rabbits (including by the exotics vets at the RWA conference only a few weeks ago!); given by injection penicillin seems to give few problems and it's only once a week for its treatment so it's not a 'dangerous' high daily dose either.

The only other thing that I know of to treat syphillis in rabbits in the event that penicillin can't be given for whatever reason is doxycycline; it's usually given orally but maybe your vet has found an injectable version that he has found works well - I'd be interested to hear if this is what it is, or if not, what you are being given and whether it works.

Good luck :)

im going again tomorrow so will make sure i ask him.realy want the syphilis gone.darent give him kisses yet.:oops::lol: the vet said he has treated syphilis with it before?im curious now too

well went the vets last night and different vet agreed baytril would do nothing.he was worried about giving him penicillin due to the affects so he has given him an injection and iv forgotten what,sure it started with a b?:? hes got to go back for an injection today and another one tomorrow.he said if these dont clear it then he will have to give the penicillin

As far as I know, injectable penicillin is the ONLY drug to treat rabbit syphilis. No idea what the "b" drug is, unless he said benzathine/procaine (penicillin)

No reason why you can't kiss your rabbit, rabbit syph isnt zoonotic.

Here's an interesting site:

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/s/00dis/Bacterial/Treponema_Inf_Rabbits.htm

It does say on here that rabbit syphillis is not transmissable to humans, it is an organism specific to rabbits and is not the same as human syphillis.

Right down the bottom it talks about treatments and while it cites penicillin as the main treatment as syphillis is extremely sensitive to it, it does in fact suggest that oxytetracycline (terramycin, engemycin) can sometimes be effective if given aggressively, as well as doxycycline. I wonder if this is what your vet is trying first?

Here's an interesting site:

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/s/00dis/Bacterial/Treponema_Inf_Rabbits.htm

It does say on here that rabbit syphillis is not transmissable to humans, it is an organism specific to rabbits and is not the same as human syphillis.

Right down the bottom it talks about treatments and while it cites penicillin as the main treatment as syphillis is extremely sensitive to it, it does in fact suggest that oxytetracycline (terramycin, engemycin) can sometimes be effective if given aggressively, as well as doxycycline. I wonder if this is what your vet is trying first?

I was given a course of Unicillin for 2 rabbits that had syphillis it was injection and it worked it cleared it up both rabbits have been neutured now so wont know if it is lying dormant or cured.:?

I was given a course of Unicillin for 2 rabbits that had syphillis it was injection and it worked it cleared it up both rabbits have been neutured now so wont know if it is lying dormant or cured.:?

Your rabbit were lucky to even survive treatment with Unicillin. I'm stunned that a vet would prescribe it for rabbits.

Your rabbit were lucky to even survive treatment with Unicillin. I'm stunned that a vet would prescribe it for rabbits.

hes a very very old style vet usually deals with race horses and greyhounds mainly tbh its was 0.01ml everyday for 2 wks it worked on a abcess as well oddly enough but he said not to inject it but to flush the abcess out with it.:) i have nothing but praise for him 3 rabbits ive taken to him all him come home and survived.

hes a very very old style vet usually deals with race horses and greyhounds mainly tbh its was 0.01ml everyday for 2 wks it worked on a abcess as well oddly enough but he said not to inject it but to flush the abcess out with it.:) i have nothing but praise for him 3 rabbits ive taken to him all him come home and survived.

I dont understand why a vet would use a drug that may harm the gut, for a period of two weeks of daily injections, when 3 once weekly injections, of a known cure for the condition, that usually has less effect on the gut, would have done the trick. Anyway, I'm glad they survived.
Not a trick question, but can you tell me if you'd use a rabbit for breeding after it had been treated for Syph?

Back