• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

First trip to the V E T

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and recently adopted a beautiful Lionhead lop rabbit from Pets at home - her old family no longer wanted her. She was quite moody at first and has taken a while to settle in. She is very scared of being picked up so I have stopped carrying her to her run on the grass and have bought a playpen that goes at the front of her cage so that I don;t need to pick her up. She has become much more friendly. I go and sit in the playpen and she allows me to stroke her. I keep trying to pick her up every so often but she is having none of it and I know that it takes time to build up her confidence!
I've had her 4 weeks now and have her booked in at the V E T so that she can be checked over and have her injections. The thing is I am worried about taking her as I know she is going to hate it. I have bought a animal carrier that she has been playing inside this week so that she gets used to it. Have you any more tips on making it as a more positive experience? I feel that she has come a long way since I have got her......

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

Unfortunately buns just HATE travelling and going to the vets. Put a towel on the floor of the carrier to prevent her slipping around and give her grip. If she can see out of the carrier you might want to cover it over with a towel or blanket so that she wont beable to see the other animals at the vets. However if you do this make sure its not too hot in the carrier for her, its important to keep her cool in this hot weather. Other than that just talk gently to her lots so she knows you're there and maybe even take some of her fave veg/herbs, although she more than likely wont eat due to the stress. When I take mine to the vets I cover their eyes with my hand whilst they're being examined (unless he's examining their eyes of course :lol:) to keep them calm.

Its horrible taking an upset bun to the vets I know, but dont worry too much as they usually bounce back pretty quickly. Maybe just hold off handling her again for a week or so, except for lovely strokes and treats of course! :)

We'd love to see pics of your new bun :D Are you planning to have her spayed and get her a compnion?

xxx

Thanks for that! The VET appointment is on Saturday so we'll have to wait and see!

Intending on getting her spayed in the 6 week holidays so not long now!
How do you post pictures? x

To post piccys upload them onto photobucket.com (create an account if you dont already have one, its free) then copy the IMG link underneath and paste it into your post :wave:

4768357273_d97703a68a_b.jpg

Okay so hope this works! Here is Bun X

wow what a gorgeous bun, well done for rehoming, sure she will have great life with you now, take each step as it comes and good luck, my two loved being handled at first now Flopsy hates being picked up but will let me stroke, toto was very pooly early on so handled and syringe fed for over week so he loves the attention Flopsy doesnt and likes to be left alone unless i have my herbs in my hand lol. guess some bunnies just dont like the height of being picked up perhaps let her jump on your knee in the run for a bit x

We survived!

Thank you everyone! We survived our visit to the VET this morning! Everything went smoothly...persuaded Bun into carrier with delicious dandelions, took towel to cover her carrier so that she wasn;t scared of the other animals at the vets. The vet was fantastic and gave her a good check to check she is good health and then gave her the Myxo injection! Going back in a fortnight for the other injection! Bun was pretty miffed when we got back and wouldn't talk to me so left her for a couple of hours and now she is back to her usual self!!!! Very please that it all went well! X

Glad it all went well for you and Bun :)

Its horrible taking them to the vets, but such a relief afterwards :roll: She'll need lots of love and special treats now ;)

Back