• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flopsy - hind leg paralysis

Susan Smith

Young Bun
I am new to this forum but have always found it very informative when I have been looking for general information, but now i need more specific for my poor baby cause i dont know what to do for the best.

I have a 7 year lop who throughout her life has had no health issues until last year when she developed a retrobulbar abscess due to tooth problems. The first vet I spoke to told me to take her home and make her comfortable as we would not have her in a week. (cost me £25 for her to say that!).
I then got in touch with another vet and after doing a bit of research myself I asked if he would drain the abcess and put her on injectable penicillin. That was last August and she has had to have the abcess drained about every 6 weeks or so but she has thrived well throughout this.

Last week i noticed she was limping a little bit and took her to the vet he said that it could be scepticemia due to her abcesses or it could be muscular and to carry on with the antibiotics and also Metecam as either way one of theses would help. He is probably not the most rabbit savvy vet but will listen to any suggestions that I might make and advise me accordingly.

Today her limp has got worse and her leg is buckling under her. She looks a poor thing but is still eating well still tries her best to get to us for cuddles and her droppings are healthy. I am not ready to give up on her despite what others have said to me "that it may be kinder" etc., as to me she doesnt seem unhappy.

Has anyone seen this before and is it possible that infections from abcesses can travel to other parts of her body.

Sorry for this being so long but i have tried to get the whole story so that perhaps someone can help as I love her dearly and just dont know what to do

Thanks to anyone who can give help

Susan xx

Is it her back left leg?

I am wondering if the abscess has worn her down and worn her immune system and she is now developing EC. That is pure, complete speculation.

Abscesses can travel to other areas of the body, yes.

Is it worth maybe asking on here for a different vet in your area and seeing if anyone could recommend someone who could help more?

Hi there

thanks for such a quick reply. I was actually wondering if that is what it was as I have spent all evening yesterday and most of today looking on the internet to see if there are any answers and the one that seems to fit the symptoms are EC.

It is actually her right leg and that is the same side as the abscess.

I have looked in this area for another vet and even phoned animal rescues to see if they had anyone they could recommend and there doesnt seem to be any in this area that are really clued up.

I have read that there are antibiotics that can treat EC and that blood tests are not necessarily conclusive. I am thinking about suggesting this to the vet to see what he says as i am getting really anxious.

I am going on holiday in 4 weeks and want to make sure that she is getting the best attention as I am leaving her with my daughter and I am not so sure that she will be able to cope if anything happens to her.

If it is EC does it necessarily mean that it is life threatening??

I just wish someone could wave a magic wand and help me as I am getting very stressed over this as you can well imagine,,,,,,

If its in the right side then that's not typical presentation of EC.

There is nothing available that treats active EC. The Fenbendazole (Panacur) that is mentioned often has only been proved to eradicate the spore if the rabbit is taking Panacur whilst exposed to it. There is a drug that is being trialed in the US that seems to be showing good results, but I don't know of anyone trying it over here.

Genuine active EC (many case are diagnosed over here that are not actually genuine EC) is a degenerative condition, but it can be slowed down. The hope is in the future it may be beaten with the right meds, but its a case of finding the right meds.

I would be wondering about spinal x-rays, and blood tests too, to see if there is anything obvious coming up.

I would suggest posting a thread on here if you can (with your location in your title) because people on here may know more and have personal recommendations. It may be a bit further away, but it might be worth a try.

I agree - i don't think one leg being paralysed is classic EC. I've had a rabbit with EC and she had back leg paralysis - but it was both legs. We successfully treated her with Panacur. I gave her panacur for weeks and weeks. I didn't get a blood test because she already had massive symptoms (wet back end, paralysis, poor condition of coat, thin) and I didn't do a short course like the vet advised. Short courses don't work. She's fine now! There wouldn't be any harm in worming her anyway with Panacur, but without any other symptoms I don't think its EC either. I don't have any experience with abcesses, sorry :( Good luck in finding out whats wrong.

sometimes when I watched her walking we did think it was both legs but it seems like just the one which is folding under. The other symptoms you describe she does have. She is awful thin compared to what she was like a couple of years back but I just thought that was due to her abscesses and her not being able to eat the same quntity that she used to. Her bottom is wet too but i assumed that was because she wasnt quite so able to get to her litter tray.

I have read that the x rays might be a bit stressful for her and that is why i hadnt asked about that earlier.

i think I am going to phone the vet soon as he has a break from surgeries at 5pm and see what he says as sometimes I feel that I am trying to self analyse her because i am looking for someone to tell me she will be OK.

Will keep you posted,,,,thanks for your comments xx

Have just spoken to my vet and as he understood it that EC only gave head tilt and not so much connected with paralysis at the back end.

I know through all the pages and pages that I have trudged through over the last 24hours that this is not the case. He has however agreed to give me panacur in liquid form to try for her and will have it ready for her tomorrow.

We will see how that goes!!!!!

EC does not cause head tilt- it is a common misconception that it does. EC lowers the immune system which can sometimes lead to a greater likelihood of infections, such as an ear infection. I can't find the article I'm looking for that backs that up, but its a US based one. I've read it several times. There is a bloke on another forum that is doing a lot of research into EC is his knowledge is top notch, so if you want the forum addy, let me know.

yes please, that would be greatly appreciated

I am sitting here in floods of tears hoping I am not puting her through too much, i need some sort of confirmation that this is what it is.

thanks so much xx

I read recently that abscesses can cause blood poisoning which in turn can affect bunnies balance and movement.
My bunny Matilda started dragging her back leg behind her. I put her through the xrays and found out that she has pulled the ligaments and tendons in her ankle joint.
Lameness can be a combination of things, it does sound like EC. my vet prefers Laprizole to panacur. it should be taken for at least 30 days to kill the cycle of the parasite.
another of my bunnies recently went completely floppy. three days later he was up and about again and is great now. we had not idea what it was... floppy rabbit syndrome, ec, spinal truma . we treated him with everything, antibiotocs, laprizole, tomato passata which is very good for bringing potassium levels up in case that was the problem.

Sometimes its a case of nursing them best you can and improvement comes gradually. good luck x

Back