• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunnies and blocked tearducts

biscuitblossom

Warren Veteran
:roll:

I seem to have them coming out of my ears at the moment :lol:

Kevin today(he screamed again when I gave him his meds :roll:) plus Diesel went to have his checked following a tearduct flush a couple of weeks ago and inbetween was poor Jasmine.:(

Last edited:
I am taking mr Carlo to get his tear ducts looked at he always seems to have at least one runny eye bless him :cry: tried drops and hasn't worked:cry:

Some rabbits can have damaged tear ducts and will suffer lifelong with runny or sticky eyes
Always best to get vet to check there is no infection but if not constant flushing can stretch the ducts and make the problem worse
Keeping them clean and a careful watch on them is often the best course.
one of our permanent Honeybunnies Hettie, has damaged ducts..her eyes are often sticky but with bathing about every two weeks she has been fine for over 3 years :D

Last edited:
Some rabbits can have damaged tear ducts and will suffer lifelong with runny or sticky eyes
Always best to get vet to check there is no infection but if not constant flushing can stretch the ducts and make the problem worse
Keeping them clean and a careful watch on them is often the best course.
one of our permanent Honeybunnies Hettie, has damaged ducts..her yes are often sticky but with bathing about every two weeks she has been fine for over 3 years :D

Just wondered how you clean them safely, because Carlo does just seem fine to be honest eating loads and I mean LOTS of hay, so will get it checked but if I can avoid having anything done I would rather, as its not that bad

I use some tissue with cooled boiled water and just gently wipe
, then dry
Hettie has a very bad problem so sometimes she needs a bit of sudocrem applied carefully, but Carlo shouldn't:D

i do clean my bunnies eyes too.....Kevin has scald under his eye from his and Perry has been grooming it and making it worse:?

Always best to get vet to check there is no infection but if not constant flushing can stretch the ducts and make the problem worseKeeping them clean and a careful watch on them is often the best course.
one of our permanent Honeybunnies Hettie, has damaged ducts..her eyes are often sticky but with bathing about every two weeks she has been fine for over 3 years :D

That's so true. My poor Daphne had runny eyes. Both of them. She's been into the vet to have one flushed twice and the other has been flushed four times. One cleared up after she had her insicors out but the other still gets terribly sticky. It looks like snot. :shock: Her eyelid on that side is now a funny shape too so both halves of her eye lids don't meet properly anymore, making the problem even worse. :roll:

I check her eye everyday, wet the goo if need be a gentley pick it off. She gets her eye bathed to get every last bit off once a fortnight (more if it needs it).

I don't mind doing it, it doesn't take long. The really annoying thing is every time she had them flushed, the vet would say 'it didn't work again, the duct's still blocked...' and then proceed to charge me full price. plus a bit extra because it was 'a difficult job' :roll: I swear my vet rubs his hands together when he see's me walk through the door. :lol:

Back