• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Going on holiday - info for the pet sitter

Were off to Turkey on the 17th July, my parents booked it over the weekend so im lucky to find somewhere for all the animals to go!

Anyway, the lady taking my rabbits has never had them before, but intends to when she moves house and gets a garden.

Anyway, i trust her 100% theres no way she would go against what i said and change their food/feed anything other than what ive told her.

Anyway, i have supplied a list which includes what they eat, how much and when. Im going to call the vet and ask them to set up an account, so that if my bunnies get sick while im away i can settle the bill when i come back.

She will also get the details of my vet and i have explained what might need emergancy attention and what can wait. She will not be able to contact me while i am away as i wont be taking my mobile phone.

Have i forgotten anything?

Oh and I highly doubt this is suitable but my mum suggested taking the empty 3ft double tier hutch to her house rather than their 5ft double because we have to carry the hutch to the other end of town (they wont fit in the car! :roll:)

Would this be ok for 2 weeks of should i take their big one.

It sounds like you've covered everything, if you haven't already i would just double check she knows the signs of stasis to look out for and stress how quickly it can get a grip etc and not to worry about going to the vets for a false alarm rather than waiting to see if they perk up etc

I would try and get their existing hutch over to the ladies house if you can do as it will be one less thing for them to stress about, although saying that it's not going to do any long term harm if they're in a smaller hutch for a couple of weeks, it's still probably bigger than what they would get put in at the vets if they were kept in. Don't you know anyone with a van or a trailer that could run it over there for you - how bigs town?! I wouldn't like to walk to walk to the end of the street with a 5 foot double decker hutch :lol:

Lucky thing going to Turkey, we're off camping to the Lakes next week lol :wave:

It sounds like you've covered everything, if you haven't already i would just double check she knows the signs of stasis to look out for and stress how quickly it can get a grip etc and not to worry about going to the vets for a false alarm rather than waiting to see if they perk up etc

I would try and get their existing hutch over to the ladies house if you can do as it will be one less thing for them to stress about, although saying that it's not going to do any long term harm if they're in a smaller hutch for a couple of weeks, it's still probably bigger than what they would get put in at the vets if they were kept in. Don't you know anyone with a van or a trailer that could run it over there for you - how bigs town?! I wouldn't like to walk to walk to the end of the street with a 5 foot double decker hutch :lol:

Lucky thing going to Turkey, we're off camping to the Lakes next week lol :wave:

Yeah im going to explain the signs of stasis and everything. Its about 5/10 minutes walk if im on my own, probably about half an hour if im struggling with a hutch! I hope noone recognises me!!! :lol::oops:

Its not heavy when its all empty, its just aukward.

I love the Lakes!! I cant remember the last time i went, 2002/3 maybe? I really want to go back, but its not really my parents idea of a holiday. Mum likes the sun and dad just wants to be anywhere but England. Its not that far away from us though, couple of hours maybe.

I cant wait until i go away, we havent been since 2006, im pining for the hot weather and that strange gust of hot air when you get off the plane! :D ooo im so excited.

well your more organised than me i usually say well this is what you do watch apple she might try to eat you others are fine oh this is vet this is food people tell the ill pay when i get back have fun ;)
oh and were 4 hours away if you need me :lol:
we usually get friends to pet sit our zoo so never had a problem apart from mark forgot to feed toby gold fish one year and we came back to the fish begging :roll:
loks like you covered everything try not to worry they will be fine just enjoy your holiday
ann xxxx

well your more organised than me i usually say well this is what you do watch apple she might try to eat you others are fine oh this is vet this is food people tell the ill pay when i get back have fun ;)
we usually get friends to pet sit our zoo so never had a problem apart from mark forgot to feed toby gold fish one year and we came back to the fish begging :roll:
loks like you covered everything try not to worry they will be fine just enjoy your holiday
ann xxxx

Well this lady is a friend, our horses are in stables next to each other. With having to see to a horse on a morning and then having to get to work earlyish because shes a primary school teacher it would be too much for her to come into the house twice a day. Plus if they camp out in her yard they will get out more. :D

Shes also trying to persuade her fiance to let her have a rabbit :lol: not sure this is the best way to go about it; he'll either love them or be throwing them back at me when i get home! :lol::love:

ann xxxx

Honestly, the amount of rabbits you have I don't think I'd ever go on holiday. I'm supposed to be going to Scotland in September but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to leave my four.

Honestly, the amount of rabbits you have I don't think I'd ever go on holiday. I'm supposed to be going to Scotland in September but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to leave my four.

lol well we need a holiday too, however i have rules we only go on holiday in the uk and we are never any more than 4 hours away so we can always get back if need be i have good friends who are crazy enough to take on the zoo for the only week we ever go away on
ann x

The only other thing I write on my bunny 'crib sheets' is a brief description of their characteristics so that the bunny sitter can see if they're behaving 'out of character'. For example, Beryl the piggie is very outgoing but Gubbins is shy and hides a lot. If Beryl was constantly hiding, I'd be concerned. Likewise Pea and Pod are complete pigs and eat anything and everything. If they refused to eat or became picky, I'd be worried.

I also include an up to date photograph of each bunny (my bunnies look similar in their pairs), so that if they need veterinary treatment, they know exactly who's who.

Obviously when they're being boarded they may not act normally for the first couple of days but it at least gives the boarder some idea of how they are usually.

The only other thing I write on my bunny 'crib sheets' is a brief description of their characteristics so that the bunny sitter can see if they're behaving 'out of character'. For example, Beryl the piggie is very outgoing but Gubbins is shy and hides a lot. If Beryl was constantly hiding, I'd be concerned. Likewise Pea and Pod are complete pigs and eat anything and everything. If they refused to eat or became picky, I'd be worried.

I also include an up to date photograph of each bunny (my bunnies look similar in their pairs), so that if they need veterinary treatment, they know exactly who's who.

Obviously when they're being boarded they may not act normally for the first couple of days but it at least gives the boarder some idea of how they are usually.

Ive explained their characters including the quirks she will need to look out for! Im going to drop them off a couple of days before i go because i wont have time on the saturday and ive had to change my hours at work to friday. Im sure they will be fine though, they are pretty chilled out buns.

Sounds thorough.....I went away recently and found lettuce in their run when I came back - not something I feed mine as they get runny tums - maybe make sure they stick to whats on your list and nothing else.....

Have a great hols! luck you!

Well, mums just been on the phone to the insurance company and with my medical history and current kidney infection they wont insure me!

Fingers crossed all will be ok by monday and i can get some insurance by saturday!!

I feel terrible, my little brother refuses to go if im not going, i dont want to ruin the holiday for everyone else and if i cant go, at least i wont have to worry about the pets!

Always look on the brightside, eh? :lol:

Back