• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giant sizes?

Jess1

Young Bun
Does anyone with larger bunnies (ours are 1/2 flemish giant 1/2 continental giant) have any idea when they are likely to stop growing (i.e reach full size), or of average / ideal weights at 1 year, 18 months etc? I cant seem to find any information. Male and Female if it makes a difference.

I just want to make sure ours are still as they should be, not to mention curiosity, and I was planning to get another litter tray at some point (being as they all seem to like to sleeping in it) and wondered how big I should go!

They should stop growing around a year, or a bit over.

There is no real standard for what is healthy, what isn't, because cross breeds are different, plus the standards are based on show quality rabbits, so a rabbit can be completely healthy and fine and differ from the 'ideal'.

If your bunnies are healthy, then that's the important thing.

Thanks - I was just curious - we saw both parents when we got ours, and they were both a lot bigger, so Im assuming they still have a ways to go.

They are all happy and healthy either way :)

Not sure about contis or flems but frenchies stop growing around 18months.Usually the buck is bigger with fuller heads,in the french lop breed,but like any species,not always!:D

Our boy is noticably different... we thought we had 3 girls originally, but hes always had a more 'blocky' flatter nose, plus hes much stockier and bigger than his sisters. My mum spotted his face was different even before we realised he had boy bits and had him neutered!

Im guessing they might stop around 18 months then perhaps... might hold off on bigger baskets a while then ;)

ebony is a giant and she's a year old and only 3.2 kg yet we were told she would be huge ? and she's been this weight for 6 months

Depends on the bunny by the sounds of it. Ours are proberbly about 7-8kg at the moment and they are about a year old.

Back