• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Even more bad news - Daisy

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Its never ending :(:(

We knew she had been loosing more weight over the last couple of weeks despite a ferocious appertite, and were very concerned that her cancer had spread. But as there is little the vets can do was waiting for her incisors to be burred in a week or so to get it checked out.

Last night I discovered an abscess at the base of her ear, and thought that the infection might be the reason for her weight loss so rushed her to the vet this morning.

Bad news, the abscess can't be removed due to is position around her ear, she has molar spurs again ( only been a few weeks since last dental) and the vet can feel a thickening in her abdomen that indicates stomach cancer :cry::cry:

She has been booked in for a dental, abscess lancing and x-rays on Thursday, but the vet said if we wanted to do nothing that she would be happy with that as the spurs are tiny and not affecting her eating at the moment, and it is a lot to put an elderly bunny through, especially as it wont solve the main problems.

I am thinking that we should leave it and let her enjoy the week or two that she has left :? Dave and her are so close, either way it is going to be awful :cry::cry:

Emmy-Lou had a thickening in her stomach which was the spread of uterine cancer and she was in agony very quickly. Otto also had the same thickening with his stomach cancer and he deteriorated very quickly, he was only 2 years old.

I have put in a request for the vet to ring me to discuss it further as it was Steve who took her for the appointment. i am really torn as want to give her the best chance, but also want to make her remaining time as comfortable and stress free as possible :cry::cry:

Aww i'm so sorry to hear this, I can't believe what you've been through these past wks or so, I'm sure whatever you do for her will be for the best, hugs xxx

Good grief, how much for one little bunny to deal with :(:shock: Poor Daisy, that's so unfair.

I hope the vet is able to give you information that helps you make that decision. I can only imagine how difficult it must be. Huge vibes for Daisy in the mean time xxx

I have just had a long chat with the vet and we have decided not to put Daisy through a GA and all the procedures this week.

Her teeth will not be causing her any problems with her eating at this point and they can't do a lot extra under GA with the abscess either. So we have decided to continue with antibiotics and lancing of the abscess for the next week, then reassess the situation. We are seeing the same vet next week so she can recheck teeth, tummy area and abscess and know exactly what the changes are. We then might go with the GA or try different meds.

The vet said she was in two minds suggesting the GA in the first place as she doesn;t feel it will acheive anything :( but wanted to offer us the option.

So fingers crossed we can get the abscess under control this week and there is no further deterioration with her other problems for awhile.

I have just had a long chat with the vet and we have decided not to put Daisy through a GA and all the procedures this week.

Her teeth will not be causing her any problems with her eating at this point and they can't do a lot extra under GA with the abscess either. So we have decided to continue with antibiotics and lancing of the abscess for the next week, then reassess the situation. We are seeing the same vet next week so she can recheck teeth, tummy area and abscess and know exactly what the changes are. We then might go with the GA or try different meds.

The vet said she was in two minds suggesting the GA in the first place as she doesn;t feel it will acheive anything :( but wanted to offer us the option.

So fingers crossed we can get the abscess under control this week and there is no further deterioration with her other problems for awhile.

Everything crossed by all of us here...as always :wave:

Everything crossed by all of us here...as always :wave:

Thanks.

Just had to contact her previous owner to break the news to them :( While their care of her was not ideal, they still care for her a lot and knew enough to know they couldn't cope so asked us to look after her

Back