• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Millie is poorly any ides please

sue.elm

New Kit
It started last thursday, she seemed very quiet, I had been away overnight on wednesday for the first time and I just thought she was sulking as she does that when I upset her. Anyway I didnt see her eat or drink that day but she was moving around and running away from me as she does when upset with me. But friday morning I came into the lounge with thier usual greens and zebadee acted normal but millie never moved so I put out thier greens which normally has them both running around my feet. I tried to give her some but not interested. She had her front teeth out in january and has an absess in her jaw at the back which cannot be cured. I took her to the vets and they could not find anything wrong with her so they gave her an antibiotic injection just in case she was going down with something and gave me a pack of recovery to feed her with. They know how fiesty she can be so they know somethings wrong because she didnt bother at all, just let them do what they liked. She hasnt improved at all so took her again today, she was given another antibiotic injection and a painkiller injection to see if her mouth was in pain that was at 2.30pm she came home and hid under the settee until I got her out at 6 tonight. I have fed her some probiotic water by syring and more recovery but its difficult because she keeps burying her head to stop me. She hasnt eaten any hay, pellets or her favourite greens and veg for 3 days now and wont move at all unless I get her. She is a 2 year old french lop white albino and Im scared Im going to lose her and zebadee is fine in himself but seems lonely as she wont lie with him now either. Im at a loss as what to do. If she survives she has another vet appointment on thurs for more antibiotics. She has lost about 70 grams in weight since thursday. Sorry its so long winded but Im at my wits end I have run out of ideas please can anyone help. Sue:cry:

Do you know what the pain killer was today? If it was just metacam it might not be strong enough and she may need more pain relief tonight such as vetergesic also given by injection. Has she really not eaten for 3 days? Passed any droppings? I am very concerned that your rabbit is in quite severe GI stasis due to unmanaged pain and possibly jaw abcess flare up. What antibiotics is she on? Did the vet not suggest admitting her today for intensive treatment?
A bun that hasn't eaten for so many days should be given vast quantities of sub-cut fluids to rehydrate (esp with this heat) or even put on a drip and be admitted for intensive fluid and pain relief therapy and to be syringe fed every few hours.

Do you have an emergency vet you can contact? If it were me and I was unable to syringe the necessary quantities of food and fluids I would be asking for my bun to be admitted tonight - but obviously this is only going to help if the clinic is manned 24hours. If not, then bun needs to see the vet first thing in the morning possibly to be admitted. In the meantime you will just have to try and get something into her if you can, fluids are the most essential at this point in time - brewed and cooled herbal tea such as camomile/spearmint/peppermint makes a very good syringe fluid as buns like the taste, food will help too but only as long as she is not desperately bloated or obstructed. Has she had her abdomen examined by the vet today for impaction or obstruction now that she has been in GI stasis so long? I feel she needs full on intensive care from a suitably experienced rabbit-savy vet and admission i'm afraid. Good luck x

ETA i'm sorry if my post is a bit garbled - i'm half asleep and heading to bed but just couldn't leave your post unanswered. I think your bunny is very poorly indeed and needs urgent attention - my concern is that your vets are not taking her lack of eating and her current state of health seriously enough at all and I would suggest you phone around a few emergency vets tonight to see if someone more clued up on rabbits can help your bunny. My biggest concern for her right now is extreme dehydration and prolonged GI stasis.

Last edited:
Do you know what the pain killer was today? If it was just metacam it might not be strong enough and she may need more pain relief tonight such as vetergesic also given by injection. Has she really not eaten for 3 days? Passed any droppings? I am very concerned that your rabbit is in quite severe GI stasis due to unmanaged pain and possibly jaw abcess flare up. What antibiotics is she on? Did the vet not suggest admitting her today for intensive treatment?
A bun that hasn't eaten for so many days should be given vast quantities of sub-cut fluids to rehydrate (esp with this heat) or even put on a drip and be admitted for intensive fluid and pain relief therapy and to be syringe fed every few hours.

Do you have an emergency vet you can contact? If it were me and I was unable to syringe the necessary quantities of food and fluids I would be asking for my bun to be admitted tonight - but obviously this is only going to help if the clinic is manned 24hours. If not, then bun needs to see the vet first thing in the morning possibly to be admitted. In the meantime you will just have to try and get something into her if you can, fluids are the most essential at this point in time - brewed and cooled herbal tea such as camomile/spearmint/peppermint makes a very good syringe fluid as buns like the taste, food will help too but only as long as she is not desperately bloated or obstructed. Has she had her abdomen examined by the vet today for impaction or obstruction now that she has been in GI stasis so long? I feel she needs full on intensive care from a suitably experienced rabbit-savy vet and admission i'm afraid. Good luck x

ETA i'm sorry if my post is a bit garbled - i'm half asleep and heading to bed but just couldn't leave your post unanswered. I think your bunny is very poorly indeed and needs urgent attention - my concern is that your vets are not taking her lack of eating and her current state of health seriously enough at all and I would suggest you phone around a few emergency vets tonight to see if someone more clued up on rabbits can help your bunny. My biggest concern for her right now is extreme dehydration and prolonged GI stasis.

Excellent post - I hope you can get your bunny the proper vet care x

reply to millie

Hi, sorry I have not replied to your advice. I took her to the vets again next morning. They said she wasnt dehydrated and told me that they thought it was her teeth again and that there wasnt anything more they could do for her. So I had to make the hardest decision of my life to have her put down. :cry: :cry: I really really didnt want to but on the other hand i didnt want her to suffer anymore as she totally refused to eat or drink even off the syring just let it dribble back out of her mouth and kept burying her head in the chair. I brought her home again so that zebadee her mate could see she had gone and he gave her a couple of licks and left her as if saying goodbye. He has become quite quiet now so I am wondering wether I should get him another mate and if so how long I should wait as I dont want him to pine for her too much. I think im doing enough of that for both of us. :(

I'm very sorry for your loss :cry: x

Some buns need time to grieve and some benefit from a new bunny partner more quickly (especially if they become very depressed). Sometimes this can be before us humans are ready ourselves. This is a judgement only you can make.
Perhaps when you do get a new bunny you could find yourself a more rabbit-savy vet for the future. I am not overly confident in the care your bun received, but of course this is up to you. x

I'm really sorry for your loss. Binky Free Millie.

I hope Zebadee bounces back quickly. It could be a good idea to get him another friend, but each bunny needs a new friend at a different time (i.e. some need a friend staright away, some need time to grieve, etc), but having a look around for what else is about is a good idea.

Thank you. Im inclined to agree about vets but the problem is the lack of them. The vets I use do PDSA so I am a little restricted but they had a good rabbit vet but aparently she's away and wont be back until october.

Back