• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Structural plywood vs exterior plywood and chipboard???

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
What is the difference of structural plywood to exterior plywood. They both say for external use but the structural is quite a bit cheaper - I need some to cover an 8 x 6 area so would need 2 pieces (just took up the chipboard I had bought after reading another thread)

I think in B&Q it is just called spruce plywood.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/bin/venda?ex...h=plywood+18mm

Last edited:
Guessing here but could one be just denser and therefore stronger? If both for external use then are they both pressure treated or something? What is it for? flooring or sides or roof?

It will be for the floor. I have a new dog run (for the bunnies of course) and have decided to put a floor in after all :roll:

If memory serves me correctly, structural plywood is stronger and is used where a "non-aesthetic" finish is required whereas exterior plywood is fancier but not as robust.

There was another thread knocking around wrt this issue and I'm sure folks were using ply with no ill-effects. Hopefully someone will chip in with better first hand experience.

Back