• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering and Litter Training - Quick Q

Bitzy

Mama Doe
:wave:

Hiya

Had Rascal neutered on Thursday and since then he hasn't done one poop, not one, outside his litter tray (well, when he was indoors he was using his bed as the loo and the litter tray as his bed .... but they were still all in what he classed as his loo) .... whereas before his neuter, he just randomly pooped anywhere (always pee'd in his tray but just pooped wherever he was eating)!

I've read that neutering can make litter training easier ...... but why?? What is it about neutering that makes them suddenly go - oh I know, I'll poop in there from now on?!!?

(or could it just be coincidence seeing as he was only done last week?)?

Thanks, Jo x

Last edited:
OK ignore everything I said about this ...... he's gone back to just pooping wherever he pleases .........he does the majority in the litter tray but then just does the odd random one whilst out and about!!

So, how do I get him litter trained now or do I need to wait a couple of weeks for his hormones to settle down?? (he was neutered a week ago and is now 14 weeks old).

Cheers, Jo x

Just keep moving all his poos and anything he's peed on into the litter tray :) also don't scrub your litter tray out every time you clean it out, or you'll be starting from scratch every day!

They poo everywhere to mark their territory - usually with neutering and spaying the need to mark everything lessens as their hormones die down. (Unless your name is Nutmeg :roll:)

OK thanks everyone ....... he usually pees in his litter tray anyway its just the odd poopings that he randomly does! lol

I'll keep putting stray poops back in the litter tray .... I won't scrub it every day ........ and I'll be patient and see if his litter tray behaviour improves as his hormones die down.

Back