• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What exactly do the RSPCA do? U/D P50

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
I work for an estate agent and we have a vacant house for sale. Vendors moved away already to another county. My colleague did a viewing on Saturday at the property (we have keys) and when she got there she found a cat and a rabbit!!!

The cat is wandering freely and the rabbit is in a 3ft box of a hutch. It was about 30 degrees on Saturday and there was no food and no water :roll::(

Colleague filled up water bowl and rabbit drank most of it in one go... filled up food bowl. There was a bit of hay.

We rang the vendors on Saturday but they only returned our call today. They said "we have someone going in once a day to feed the animals". Obviously they forgot on Saturday :roll:

I see this as NOT GOOD ENOUGH and called the RSPCA. They are not interested. I dont know what to do :(

I cant take these animals. RSPCA wont do anything. So I have the knowledge they are there and cant do anything about them...

I cant upset the vendors because work will be extremely angry with me.

Last edited:
I suppose they are limited, the people are saying they have made suitable arrangements to feed their animals so unless they are being really ill-treated, emaciated etc I don't think they intervene, it confuses me though because they use the word 'prevention' but, seem to act after the cruelty or suffering has happened, this is possibly because they are limited in terms of the law.

I would suggest that your just going to have to keep an eye on it, take pictures etc - lets hope it doesn't get stolen or maybe that wouldn't be so bad if it was going to a good home - either way a horrible scenario for you. Some people are strange aren't they, they go away and can actually enjoy themselves when their animals are left like that. I don't understand how people can be like it :(

I suppose they are limited, the people are saying they have made suitable arrangements to feed their animals so unless they are being really ill-treated, emaciated etc I don't think they intervene, it confuses me though because they use the word 'prevention' but, seem to act after the cruelty or suffering has happened, this is possibly because they are limited in terms of the law.

I would suggest that your just going to have to keep an eye on it, take pictures etc - lets hope it doesn't get stolen or maybe that wouldn't be so bad if it was going to a good home - either way a horrible scenario for you. Some people are strange aren't they, they go away and can actually enjoy themselves when their animals are left like that. I don't understand how people can be like it :(

Can you or one of the agnets use the keys and keep bunny fed and watered every day until there is a definite answer from someone about what the future of these animals are? Perhaps you could put some shade up or move the hutch to a shadier spot? Not very professional but this is an issue of animal welfare and I would find it hard to do nothing. The stories I hear on here about the RSPCA can be shocking.... they have a lot more legal power since the animal welfare act - I think it depends on location and individual inspectors. good luck x

I wish my colleagues never told me about it... I feel so sad.

I can imagine, unfortunately there are probably hundreds if not thousands like that poor rabbit and cat. I hope they have a horrible holiday. Try not to stress yourself out, you have done what you could do, they won't help - it's up to you whether you do check on it to ensure it's fed and watered. The law needs to change for rabbits, the RSPCA and the 'guidelines' the 5 freedoms etc are all advisory at the moment and reliant on people having common sense and compassion, sadly there are people out there who don't have either, they are selfish :censored:

Can you or one of the agnets use the keys and keep bunny fed and watered every day until there is a definite answer from someone about what the future of these animals are? Perhaps you could put some shade up or move the hutch to a shadier spot? Not very professional but this is an issue of animal welfare and I would find it hard to do nothing. The stories I hear on here about the RSPCA can be shocking.... they have a lot more legal power since the animal welfare act - I think it depends on location and individual inspectors. good luck x

None of my colleagues are that bothered.... and I am not allowed to take house keys and wander off into vendors properties .. no one is allowed to go to a property unless they are on a viewing. My manager wont allow us to use our time when we should be selling houses to be "running around after a rabbit"

They don't where rabbits are concerned, they are in a catch 22 situation most of the time I think.

None of my colleagues are that bothered.... and I am not allowed to take house keys and wander off into vendors properties .. no one is allowed to go to a property unless they are on a viewing. My manager wont allow us to use our time when we should be selling houses to be "running around after a rabbit"

Get your mates to phone up to view the house.;)

I think then I would persist with the RSPCA if these pets have been legitimately abandoned. I think I would also make a bit of a fuss at work - but that's just me and probably why I'd not be very employable! :lol: I'd find it very hard to pretend I didn't know. I understand the difficult situation you are in. Hope you can figure something out.

I can imagine, unfortunately there are probably hundreds if not thousands like that poor rabbit and cat. I hope they have a horrible holiday. Try not to stress yourself out, you have done what you could do, they won't help - it's up to you whether you do check on it to ensure it's fed and watered. The law needs to change for rabbits, the RSPCA and the 'guidelines' the 5 freedoms etc are all advisory at the moment and reliant on people having common sense and compassion, sadly there are people out there who don't have either, they are selfish :censored:

They are NOT on holiday .. they have moved!!! I am not allowed to check on it..

:(

They don't where rabbits are concerned, they are in a catch 22 situation most of the time I think.

They DO for all animals - the animal welfare act doesn't discriminate between species - like I said it is down to individual inspector interpretation.

They DO for all animals - the animal welfare act doesn't discriminate between species - like I said it is down to individual inspector interpretation.

Well if that is the case then they need to have some consistency in the training and way that they operate, you can't have a successful organisation and mission statement unless you are all working to the same guidelines - they are an organisation that is universally recognised, how can you allow individuals to interpret situations - especially if they are 'older' generations who may have for example grown up eating rabbit - no sorry, I think you will find the act has provided some more guidance but, there are no laws in place to protect animals that are enforceable by the RSPCA, they can be refused entry for example and if they attend using the police - they can get into trouble if there is nothing bad enough to warrant entry. They aren't a government department they are a charity. Edited to add, I am speaking from experience aswell.

Last edited:
I've known the rspca where i live to keep rabbits in tiny hutches that wouldn't live up to their own recommended welfare standards- they are just a business at the end of the day. They do make alot of money as a charity,as all charities do. They do some good and they are guilty themselves of cruelty to animals in my view in some cases- where they shoot dogs rather than deal with them because there are too many- this is something that has happened before, because they didn't know if the dogs were aggressive or not. I think that they are there when suffering has occured- to prosecute the owners. They are not so much interested in the prevention as that is apparant, in my own experience with them in the past and several stories i've hear. Even so, they do a good job in certain areas, not so good in others.

The RSPCA are probably just overrun with cases. I have a friend who works for them. Most days the phone is ringing all day long. The other week she was asked to collect and rehome a cat whose owners were moving house later that week. She arrived at a very large, expensive house to find no sign of moving boxes, for sale sign etc. They just didn't want it anymore basically.

I was in PAH today. Two gorgeous rabbits in the adoption centre - 'Our owners haven't time to care for us'. I am not generally an animal lover, and our rabbits were given as presents to the kids from my sister. I wouldn't have chosen to get them because I'm not really a pet person. But now they are here we love them to bits and I can't imagine any circumstances in which we wouldn't feed, interact, exercise, take to vet, etc. etc. Even if I couldn't stand them, I would still look after them because when you get a pet you make that committment.

I can only suggest you ask the owners if they would like you to take the rabbits to a rescue, though it doesn't sound like your boss would go for that much.

The RSPCA are probably just overrun with cases. I have a friend who works for them. Most days the phone is ringing all day long. The other week she was asked to collect and rehome a cat whose owners were moving house later that week. She arrived at a very large, expensive house to find no sign of moving boxes, for sale sign etc. They just didn't want it anymore basically.

I was in PAH today. Two gorgeous rabbits in the adoption centre - 'Our owners haven't time to care for us'. I am not generally an animal lover, and our rabbits were given as presents to the kids from my sister. I wouldn't have chosen to get them because I'm not really a pet person. But now they are here we love them to bits and I can't imagine any circumstances in which we wouldn't feed, interact, exercise, take to vet, etc. etc. Even if I couldn't stand them, I would still look after them because when you get a pet you make that committment.

I can only suggest you ask the owners if they would like you to take the rabbits to a rescue, though it doesn't sound like your boss would go for that much.

Would my local branch accept the rabbit if I got it? I rang the national RSPCA line - I dont want to get the rabbit and then be stuck with it as I cant afford any more.

Well if that is the case then they need to have some consistency in the training and way that they operate, you can't have a successful organisation and mission statement unless you are all working to the same guidelines - they are an organisation that is universally recognised, how can you allow individuals to interpret situations - especially if they are 'older' generations who may have for example grown up eating rabbit - no sorry, I think you will find the act has provided some more guidance but, there are no laws in place to protect animals that are enforceable by the RSPCA, they can be refused entry for example and if they attend using the police - they can get into trouble if there is nothing bad enough to warrant entry. They aren't a government department they are a charity. Edited to add, I am speaking from experience aswell.

Thank you but I am well aware of that fact. I am equally frustrated by their lack of motivation but even more so that legislation is passed and that the government expects enforcement to be carried out on their behalf by a charity. However, that is not what the content of the Animal Welfare Act states - and I have a lot of experience reading legislation ;) I am in no dispute with you that it is not good enough. I was merely stating that a stronger power of enforcement does now exist 'in theory'. Don't shoot the messenger.
I actually agree with tintin in that their services are probably very stretched at the moment and an abandoned pet who has an apparent daily carer is sufficient and of low priority.

I was thinking the same. You could perhaps try to contact the owners again and suggest that they consider handing the pets over to the RSPCA. They may get a different response if they themselves contact them. :? or you act as go between.
I suspect all rescue centres however are full and have waiting lists. There simply is not enough room to go around :cry:

Would my local branch accept the rabbit if I got it? I rang the national RSPCA line - I dont want to get the rabbit and then be stuck with it as I cant afford any more.

I'm not sure that RSPCA centres actually accept rabbits from the general public anymore although I may be wrong.

I read that the national RSPCA helpline gets a call about neglect etc every 18 seconds, it must be so hard to prioritise so many calls with such limited man power :(

I am certainly not saying what is happening here is right, it is terribly sad. I hope someone comes up with an idea to help these animals

Thank you but I am well aware of that fact. I am equally frustrated by their lack of motivation but even more so that legislation is passed and that the government expects enforcement to be carried out on their behalf by a charity. However, that is not what the content of the Animal Welfare Act states - and I have a lot of experience reading legislation ;) I am in no dispute with you that it is not good enough. I was merely stating that a stronger power of enforcement does now exist 'in theory'. Don't shoot the messenger.
I actually agree with tintin in that their services are probably very stretched at the moment and an abandoned pet who has an apparent daily carer is sufficient and of low priority.

No sorry if I have given you the impression I am getting at you, I'm not, I am equally frustrated and disappointed - about the lack of action to prevent cruelty and suffering. The RSPCA are all we have though at the moment and I don't generally feel completely at ease finding fault as I know they are limited for several reasons, lack of public co-operation, lack of resources/funding, lack of credibility/status - all of which combined with increasing poverty because of the credit crunch means that they are probably constantly swimming against the tide - I agree with what your saying and in an ideal world and all that :)

I would just ring the RSPCA and say that people have moved out of a property and left animals behind, that you have provided them with food and water on one occasion but cannot continue to do so. You can make calls anonymously to the cruelty line - if you were a neighbour you could quite legitimately ring with that concern without mentioning whether or not someone else is popping in.

Quite often then they will go along and tape over the keyhole and/or post a note through asking for the person to make contact - that way they have a reasonable idea of whether someone is going to feed any animals or not.

Back