• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The slabs are going down! :o) - U/D They're down!

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
Woop! This is for Paddy & Peaches new pad at the bottom of the garden :D

I'll finally be able to order the shed now! :D :D

Last edited:
Excellent- i really need help and advice on laying slabs- everyone i ask for help is making out it's so complex and difficult, and i dare not lay them on that basis- i have them in the garden waiting to go down though. It must be so rewarding having it completed ready for a shed to go on :) Well done x

Excellent- i really need help and advice on laying slabs- everyone i ask for help is making out it's so complex and difficult, and i dare not lay them on that basis- i have them in the garden waiting to go down though. It must be so rewarding having it completed ready for a shed to go on :) Well done x

Its exciting stuff watching them go down one by one :D

One of the OH's mates is training to be a builder so he's doing them for us

I think theres a leaflet in Wickes which tells you how to lay them. Also, have you checked on YouTube for a tutorial?

I have but every tutorial i watch looks more complex than just digging down abit, levelling it off and putting some sand then slabs on. I wish i could just lay the groundsheet on the grass, then put the slabs directly down or sand on top of the groundsheet. I don't want something pretty just practical, but i guess that there is more too it than that :))

The slabs were finished yesterday! :D

An 8x6 shed will be going on the right hand side, and a 10x8 aviary will go on the yellow slabs on the left! You'll have to excuse the mess, the pic was taken yesterday before all the stuff was cleared away :oops:

It was just the yellow ones that were laid yesterday as the grey ones were already down when we moved in

I cant wait to order the shed! I've found a full ship lap one for £270 - delivered and erected! :D

Oh and the slabs aren't wonky - the rest of the garden is though, including the back fence! :lol:

5393625d.jpg

Lucky bunnies - all that space, look forward to seeing piccies when it is all finished :wave:

Aw I feel your excitement lol! We've just put our shed up...... and the aviary panels came today!! :wave: xx

I have but every tutorial i watch looks more complex than just digging down abit, levelling it off and putting some sand then slabs on. I wish i could just lay the groundsheet on the grass, then put the slabs directly down or sand on top of the groundsheet. I don't want something pretty just practical, but i guess that there is more too it than that :))

As long as your lawn is reasonably level, you don't need to dig down...

1. make a frame out of timber and lay it on the grass
2. lay weed suppressant fabric inside (and running up the sides of the timber frame)
3. fill with sharp sand and level off using a spirit level
4. lay slabs on top, using a spirit level and rubber mallet to knock them level

I followed the above instructions for my new playhouse, but used gravel instead of sand and this is the result:

DSCF2478.jpg

Back