• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning out rabbit runs?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Does anyone have rabbit runs that just get dug up by the bunnys, no grass anymore and rabbits are out in. What do you do to clean them out, or do you just let the earth deal with it? I've got some runs that i'm not moving around anymore and i wondered what i should do with regards to cleaning when they have no kind of base on and are just straight on grass, which becomes mud and hay very quickly, as i cover the floor in hay. I remove and replace the hay, but obviously the earth will have droppings, pee etc on it when they dont go in there litter trays. Does anyone do anything other than returf etc? I can't see any way of cleaning a soiled area so to speak, other than digging the earth over and putting fresh hay down then replacing it regularly. Any suggestions?

Concrete, paving stones etc. All our runs are on paving slabs, so much easier to clean and disinfect, plus help to wear their nails down. Pee just soaks into grass and earth and attracts flies. You can still cover in hay, but we find putting a large litter tray in the run and then tunnels and toys works well and is better for hygiene and infection control.

I personally have runs on grass and concrete, we usually move them around , I borrow a small flame thrower which burns off any bacteria there , also I water any pee spots when the bunnies arn't in the runs. burning the ground kills things like Encephalitozoon cuniculi (E. cuniculi) etc

My boys were in a run that was originally grass and then mainly earth. They loved it because they could dig a nice cool layer of soil out and just sunbathe in there. We buried a layer of C&C cube panels to stop them digging out. However, they never (AFAIK) peed in their run, they always used their litter trays that were in the dark part of the hutch. That said, the site was well draining and I would say if you have problems with drainage this probably wouldn't be a good idea. Just spent all yesterday digging the thing up and it was hard work. The new run/kennel will go on a patio though.

Thanks everyone - great suggestions. I think it will be concrete eventually,but for now perhaps vinyl as a temporary measure would be easiest to cut to size and clean out. Really helpful thankyou all xx

I tend to leave it as they dig a lot and bury poo, and turn the soil in the process. I am considering getting it paved eventually but it is a huge space, going to cost a packet and the run was already £450. I can't do it myself so for the time being it has to do.

interesting thread! Was looking at my run area today & picking up poops to put in the vege patch....did wonder about the wee bits thought....

thanks!:p

Back