• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How old for a spay? anyone know a good rabbit vet in cardiff?

Lil_Luci

Mama Doe
I got Daisy May 15th, when she was approx 9 weeks old. So she's now roughly 16 weeks (3 and a half months) How old should she be before I get her spayed?
And, does anyone know any good bunny vets in Cardiff? When I got Gizmo done, it was at a good vets in Bournemouth, but I live in Cardiff now, so need to find a reliable vets here. I take Gizmo to a vets here for his jabs, but something doesn't seem quite right there. The few times i've asked her to check his teeth etc, she always says next time. So am a little bit reluctant to take daisy there for such a major op.

are there any major differences in care after a spay and a neuter? And, roughly how much should it cost?

I got Daisy May 15th, when she was approx 9 weeks old. So she's now roughly 16 weeks (3 and a half months) How old should she be before I get her spayed?
And, does anyone know any good bunny vets in Cardiff? When I got Gizmo done, it was at a good vets in Bournemouth, but I live in Cardiff now, so need to find a reliable vets here. I take Gizmo to a vets here for his jabs, but something doesn't seem quite right there. The few times i've asked her to check his teeth etc, she always says next time. So am a little bit reluctant to take daisy there for such a major op.

are there any major differences in care after a spay and a neuter? And, roughly how much should it cost?

I know someone who lives in Cardiff who works as a vet receptionist. She has rats as well so hopefully will have a fairly good idea about which vets can be trusted. I'll ask and get back to you.

I have a recommendation. Apparently Companion Care Cardiff http://www.companioncare.co.uk/cardiff.html is good as this is where the lady I asked for advice works and takes her rats. They are apparently very good at Surgery and has suggested you ask for Henning. She says they are expensive but the best vet in Cardiff.

Failing that the second recommendation is Parkvets http://www.merialvetsite.com/sites/parkvetscardiff/home.html , she stopped using them as the good rat vet left but didn't want to say what they would be like with rabbits but overall are a good vetinary practice.

I have a recommendation. Apparently Companion Care Cardiff http://www.companioncare.co.uk/cardiff.html is good as this is where the lady I asked for advice works and takes her rats. They are apparently very good at Surgery and has suggested you ask for Henning. She says they are expensive but the best vet in Cardiff.

Failing that the second recommendation is Parkvets http://www.merialvetsite.com/sites/parkvetscardiff/home.html , she stopped using them as the good rat vet left but didn't want to say what they would be like with rabbits but overall are a good vetinary practice.

Thank you very much :) will give them a ring tomorrow and see what they advise :)
Are there any particular questions I should ask?

Thank you very much :) will give them a ring tomorrow and see what they advise :)
Are there any particular questions I should ask?

Yes, obviously cost and how old they like females to be before they are spayed but also how many rabbit spays per month each of the vets does and their success rates.

Last edited:
have phoned 7 vets so far this morning, all say they have experience of spays, with high success rates. Prices vary from 44.50-98.80!! and the amount of cage rest varies from a day to ten days!
Also, every vet i've spoken to, say pain med is provided via a long lasting injection, so she shouldnt need follow up paid meds. is this right?
on the plus side, found a vets that does vaccs for 12.50 each instead of 30 each!! :D

Also, every vet i've spoken to, say pain med is provided via a long lasting injection, so she shouldnt need follow up paid meds. is this right?

The injection lasts 24hrs. Sometimes females may need additional pain meds for a few days afterwards but the vet will usually sort this with you at the follow up appointment the following day. I've had 3 girls done and only 1 needed additional pain relief, for the other 2 the long lasting injection was sufficient.

Mine get cage rest for as long as I feel necessary. Some need a bit longer whilst I've had some climing the walls the next morning desperate to get out. The important thing is just to make sure they are supervised when exercising and avoid jumping up on things which could pull at the wound.

I pay £60 here in Bristol for a spay.

Back