• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is he REALLY a Netherland Dwarf?? *picture heavy* - Please Add Yours <3

UsagiYojimbo

Alpha Buck
I was always told Leo was a netherland dwarf, but after seeing photos on here and googling he looks nothing like them.

Here is one from GOOGLE, a proper netherland dwarf
neth-dwarf.jpg

Now here is Leo, who has waaay longer ears and a narrow face, kind of like a dutch shaped face. He weighs 1.08kg
IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

Is he a netherland dwarf or a cross?

Last edited:
It's difficult to say really, there are probably very few totally 100% pure netherland dwarves, most of them have probably got some kind of cross genetics. He doesn't look totally like the 'classic' netherland dwarf shape so may well be crossed at some point, but that doesn't necessarily mean that his parents aren't nethies, he may just have some genes from a couple of generations ago which give him a slightly different shape. His ears are bigger than you would 'expect' a nethie to be, but his face looks nethie-ish.

He's lovely either way :love:

he may be pure, but he may not be from show lines, hence the ovesized ears and bigger size.

What ever he is. he is cute! :)

Hes probably a netherland dwarf cross.

ooooh, i wonder if he will grow bigger than a netherland dwarf then? Is there any chance he could be a netherland dwarf from a not so experienced breeder or from in-breeding?

We didn't get him from a breeder so don't know what he is!

It's difficult to say really, there are probably very few totally 100% pure netherland dwarves, most of them have probably got some kind of cross genetics. He doesn't look totally like the 'classic' netherland dwarf shape so may well be crossed at some point, but that doesn't necessarily mean that his parents aren't nethies, he may just have some genes from a couple of generations ago which give him a slightly different shape. His ears are bigger than you would 'expect' a nethie to be, but his face looks nethie-ish.

He's lovely either way :love:

I know he is a sweetheart and very cute :love: thank you :) looking at your siggy for example, your nethie looks different shape to mine!

he looks like my sebastian.

I belive Sebby is a nethie/polish cross. He sits very like a polish does and has the face shape of one :) it doesnt matter what he is, he's cute :love:

he may be pure, but he may not be from show lines, hence the ovesized ears and bigger size.

What ever he is. he is cute! :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you :)

I wonder if he is just a netherland dwarf from an in experienced breeder or something? He himself was from an accidental litter, the parents were netherland dwarfs according to the pet shop

he looks like my sebastian.

I belive Sebby is a nethie/polish cross. He sits very like a polish does and has the face shape of one :) it doesnt matter what he is, he's cute :love:

He is very much like the wild babies you see by the side of the roads/in fields in regards to his stance and ears, so you may well be right! If he was brown instead of grey he would look like a wild bunny

He looks a lot like my Maia proportions wise. She too is supposed to be a Nethie (I found out today after reviewing the care sheet they gave me at the shop), but has a longer face and a more slender body.
Here:
1z1ps.jpg

(she looks so very disapproving in this pic.)

Honestly I like more bunnies like yours, Nethies are a tad too stout and round for my taste. It could be that ours are what a "pet-quality" or not purebred Nethie looks like.

He is very much like the wild babies you see by the side of the roads/in fields in regards to his stance and ears, so you may well be right! If he was brown instead of grey he would look like a wild bunny

my dad often tells me he thinks sebastian is part wildie
33m8t55.jpg

awwww what lovely photos of other nethies! :love::love:

That brown one does look like a wildie! Very like Leo only brown instead of grey!

It could be that ours are what a "pet-quality" or not purebred Nethie looks like.

I did think this, the ones from google are perhaps the show breed quality that breeders try to achieve and then ours are all the ones that go to the pet shops???

I do prefer his shape etc he's so unique and adorable :love: I hope that perhaps he will grow larger than a nethie as I would like to bond him with my Frenchie!

How big are nethies supposed to grow? He is 1.08 kg, I wonder if he is fully grown? He's 5 months old!

I think it depends on who you got him from. If it was a breeder then chances are he is a non showable nethie, but from a pet shop, or rescue, we won't know either way.

All my nethies are purebred nethies but non of them are show quality and most of them don't look anything lie show quality. Most of mine look less nethie than yours.

Back