• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Citronella oil

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
Is it safe?

I've been finding it quite effective in keeping *most* of the flies away, even when I have all my windows open. This time last year we were overcome by them :roll: And as much as i despise flies I dont enjoy going on a fly massacre so Id much rather just keep them out.

But I do worry that its not good for my buns lungs :? Its such a pungent smell and it seems to fill my whole flat even with the windows open :shock:

Ha! I thought to myself- all my other buns run from citronella when I use it to wipe the bins so if Doodee does not STOP eating great big holes in my sofa I will slow her down by wiping it with citronella oil.

She did so I did.

I came in to find her with her usual insane rabbit of Caerbannog behaviour , my sofa ripped to pieces and guess what she was happily nomming the places wiped with the oil. :shock:

Some buns dislike it and run its so pungent but Doodee has had no digestive problems from a mix of hardwood, foam, leather and citronella oil. :roll:

Ha! I thought to myself- all my other buns run from citronella when I use it to wipe the bins so if Doodee does not STOP eating great big holes in my sofa I will slow her down by wiping it with citronella oil.

She did so I did.

I came in to find her with her usual insane rabbit of Caerbannog behaviour , my sofa ripped to pieces and guess what she was happily nomming the places wiped with the oil. :shock:

Some buns dislike it and run its so pungent but Doodee has had no digestive problems from a mix of hardwood, foam, leather and citronella oil. :roll:

:lol: Naughty bun bun! :lol:

Mine dont actually eat any so its more their lungs im worried about from breathing it in. I have all my windows open most of the day at the moment anyway so they're getting lots of fresh air aswell. Im just paranoid because they've been sneezing abit recently and I dont want to make it any worse :? But at the same time Im desperate to keep the flies away from them :roll:

I pinched this idea off a vegan friend of mine. She mixes a couple of drops of citronella in with a desert spoon of pure veggie oil and dips a dry piece of cotton cloth in and rubs it around all her opening windows. Its does not stop every fly but it slows them right down.

Go easy on the stuff with gentle buns though as it is very pungent and most buns have very sensitive noses.

And yes-Doodee has to be the most destructive, aggresive and deranged bunny I have had from a rescue yet. :lol:

I have a pile of chewed and wrecked furniture outside waiting to go to the tip inc what is left of my Dyson vacuum after she decided it needed to be killed. *bad Doodee*:censored:

Back