PDA

View Full Version : Is moulting caused by...

Gemmapookie
04-07-2010, 02:34 PM
The time of the year or the high temperatures??

Around May time we had a really hot spell for a few weeks and Timmy had a short moult. It then got cool again with lots of rain and he stopped moulting. I thought that was it but now the temperatures are soaring here, he's moulting again :shock: Mimi moutled between the 2 and has now completely stopped (I hope!)

I really loathe moult time, it puts such pressure on their little bodies and Timmy gets moody. Not to mention the amount of time I spend grooming and "plucking" him (i.e. gently teasing out the loose fur with my fingers...he loves it and will sit next to me for ages while I do it!) I'm uber paranoid about blockages and there's fur EVERYWHERE!

Got one lodged in my throat at the moment :roll:

beckie20
04-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Mine have been the same. In fact, they changed daily with the temperatures at one point! If it had been warm that day a wall of fur would fly out when I opened the door, but if it had been a bit chilly, there was hardly anything!

So I would be inclined to say it's more affected by the temperature. Makes sense really, as it wouldn't do wild rabbits any good to have their winter coats if we had a particularly late summer or a nice thin summer coat when it sometimes snows in March!

xxx

Gemmapookie
04-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Thats true thanks Beckie :)

I always thought that they would moult at specific times of year but I guess there has to be a trigger, and high temperatures ar the likely suspects.

What a pain though :roll: One moult a year is quite enough thankyou!!

prettylupin
04-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Triggered by temperature - and possibly light levels too :wave:

Gemmapookie
04-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks pretty lupin :wave:

Hope Mimi doesnt start moulting again then as Im sure thats what set off her ear infection last time :shock: Shes alot shorter and lighter furred than Timmy though so hopefully shes all done for the summer!

SarahP
04-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Temperatures definitely play a big part, as house bunnies are affected by central heating, and therefore never grow the big winter coats that outdoor bunnies do.

Jemma&Theo
04-07-2010, 07:16 PM
My Earl Moults all through the year the little blighter....

It can be triggered by a change in diet or a diet with too much protein.....

We swapped from SS to Excel which has slightly less protein and not sure if its in my head but it seems less..............

happybun
04-07-2010, 07:37 PM
my bunkins did a big moult in february and a couple of minor ones since. no idea why.

Cornishlass
04-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Mine has been in a constant moult for ages now - LOADS of fluff everywhere - plucking him every day!

thumps_
08-07-2010, 04:27 AM
I agree with Pretty lupin - temp/light/ adequate nutrition.

Light - When I used a day lightlamp although it was at very low intesity at ground level, my bun started to moult on day 12, & just didn't stop!! When he reached the rear end he started again at the neck.:shock:
It took a year to get him in the same coat all over.

Nutrition - When my bun has had severe "caecal stasis" he's stopped moulting mid moult for months. I understand that buns need to increase their energy intake by 40% to moult!!!