• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is moulting caused by...

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
The time of the year or the high temperatures??

Around May time we had a really hot spell for a few weeks and Timmy had a short moult. It then got cool again with lots of rain and he stopped moulting. I thought that was it but now the temperatures are soaring here, he's moulting again :shock: Mimi moutled between the 2 and has now completely stopped (I hope!)

I really loathe moult time, it puts such pressure on their little bodies and Timmy gets moody. Not to mention the amount of time I spend grooming and "plucking" him (i.e. gently teasing out the loose fur with my fingers...he loves it and will sit next to me for ages while I do it!) I'm uber paranoid about blockages and there's fur EVERYWHERE!

Got one lodged in my throat at the moment :roll:

Mine have been the same. In fact, they changed daily with the temperatures at one point! If it had been warm that day a wall of fur would fly out when I opened the door, but if it had been a bit chilly, there was hardly anything!

So I would be inclined to say it's more affected by the temperature. Makes sense really, as it wouldn't do wild rabbits any good to have their winter coats if we had a particularly late summer or a nice thin summer coat when it sometimes snows in March!

xxx

Thats true thanks Beckie :)

I always thought that they would moult at specific times of year but I guess there has to be a trigger, and high temperatures ar the likely suspects.

What a pain though :roll: One moult a year is quite enough thankyou!!

Thanks pretty lupin :wave:

Hope Mimi doesnt start moulting again then as Im sure thats what set off her ear infection last time :shock: Shes alot shorter and lighter furred than Timmy though so hopefully shes all done for the summer!

Temperatures definitely play a big part, as house bunnies are affected by central heating, and therefore never grow the big winter coats that outdoor bunnies do.

My Earl Moults all through the year the little blighter....

It can be triggered by a change in diet or a diet with too much protein.....

We swapped from SS to Excel which has slightly less protein and not sure if its in my head but it seems less..............

I agree with Pretty lupin - temp/light/ adequate nutrition.

Light - When I used a day lightlamp although it was at very low intesity at ground level, my bun started to moult on day 12, & just didn't stop!! When he reached the rear end he started again at the neck.:shock:
It took a year to get him in the same coat all over.

Nutrition - When my bun has had severe "caecal stasis" he's stopped moulting mid moult for months. I understand that buns need to increase their energy intake by 40% to moult!!!

Back