• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've just been told off

mystic.kitty

Mama Doe
Shopping has just been delivered and hubby has told me off for buying ready prepared cleaned veg for the bunnies. He says they should get the cheapest possible veg not the stuff in little packets. My arguement is that the packed stuff is in perfect portion sizes for my buns so all I have to do is open the packet and give it to them, and everything is right, plus the prepacked stuff always seems to be fresher and nicer than the cheap stuff.

haha caught :lol::lol:

my mom cant beleive i give the buns fresh romaine lettuce and i have the stuff that didnt get eaten the week before on my sandwiches :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, I agree with hubby. Pre-packaged stuff is what supermarkets called 'added value' meaning that they take a cheap product, chop it up, re-package and then triple the price. If you don't mind paying the extra, fair enough, but I would think it wasteful and I am sure the bunnies don't give a stuff as long as the stuff arrives in some shape or form. :lol::lol:

Spring greens mine go mad for too.

Can rabbits eat romaine lettuce? May have to give mine a try if they can, I never know if its all lettuce they can't or only some?

Spring greens mine go mad for too.

Can rabbits eat romaine lettuce? May have to give mine a try if they can, I never know if its all lettuce they can't or only some?

i think its iceberg thats a no. romaine has a little star next to it to say its got vitamin A in which is supposed to be good i think. i only give one leaf a day between the two, i like to keep Alvins water intake up :D

http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html

Mine go nuts for herbs like coriander...the cheeks bulge and if they could use their paws to shovel more in, the better it would be as far as they are concerned!!

Charlee loves romaine lettuce. She pretty much has what the guinea pigs have - which amongst a whole range of things includes a variety of 'gourmet' lettuces and endive (type of lettuce). She is not a big veggie eater and prefers to leave them and come back later. Not sure if this will all change when she gets her husbun though.

Iceberg lettuce is the one that is a no-no. It has very little nutritional value and is basically water - so often results in runny poops. I never feed this to either Charlee or the guinea pigs.

I am also with your husband though. The prepacked stuff is a lot more expensive (because you have to pay for packaging) and you can't always see the quality throughout the whole packet. Often the produce isn't as fresh as well. When I go to the fruit and veg markets to get the weeks produce, I get fresh veggies (and for cheap). Then when I get home, I wash and cut it up to fit into 2L plastic containers. When it comes time for their veggies, I pull out a couple of containers and they are all ready to go. Takes a bit more effort, but you save yourself money, you get quality veggies and all the veggies are pre-prepared and ready to go.

Saying all of that, I often get told off for spending too much on veggies. I have to stick to a budget of no more than $20!!

Mine go mad for Kale....they're straight into it! :)

What is Kale and where do I get it from? I keep reading about it on here but haven't seen any :oops:

Another fan of the 50p spring greens from asda here!

I have to agree with your hubby about buying them prepackaged stuff. I don't necessarily think that they should have to be bought the cheapest stuff but buying it pre-chopped just seems really lazy to me. It only takes a matter of seconds to chop up a carrot into four bits. I love sitting and hand feeding them :love: Plus the added price etc. Could be better spent on bunny toys :lol::lol:

Bella goes mad for anything:lol: She is a very good eater and not fussy at all. Eats LOADS of hay as well! Kale is probably one of her favs, and broccoli too. Her favourite treats are strawberries!
Archie is new to the veggie world, and i am just introducing him slowly to many different ones. Rocket seems to be a hit with him so far:)

That's brilliant, HOneys not a big water drinking so I always try to find veggies and a little fruit that can get it up.

Spinach is lucky's fave. I only give him a bit As I know it should be limited to buns but he goes nuts for it! Lucky has the fresh bagged stuff while we make do with the frozen stuff. I go nuts when hubby dares use it in a salad! Lol!

That's brilliant, HOneys not a big water drinking so I always try to find veggies and a little fruit that can get it up.

ive given cucumber too when Alvin has had stasis, my vet did say be careful not to give too much but thought the extra water was a good idea... havent bought non in ages cus they just keep upping the price :evil::evil:

:shock: I feed mine on edible weeds and wild herbage from my garden. I do not wash it and I don't cut it into bite size portions. If they ever get to hear of this mythical prepped stuff they may down paws and go on strike.

{Mine are on a high hay/wild rabbit nosh with a few pellets diet but I do have a large garden and easy access to the countryside and hedgerows.}

Spinach is lucky's fave. I only give him a bit As I know it should be limited to buns but he goes nuts for it! Lucky has the fresh bagged stuff while we make do with the frozen stuff. I go nuts when hubby dares use it in a salad! Lol!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ive eaten frozen veg too while the buns get fresh... we aint right us lot :shock::shock:

Back