PDA

View Full Version : I've just been told off

mystic.kitty
04-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Shopping has just been delivered and hubby has told me off for buying ready prepared cleaned veg for the bunnies. He says they should get the cheapest possible veg not the stuff in little packets. My arguement is that the packed stuff is in perfect portion sizes for my buns so all I have to do is open the packet and give it to them, and everything is right, plus the prepacked stuff always seems to be fresher and nicer than the cheap stuff.

donnamt
04-07-2010, 01:33 PM
haha caught :lol::lol:

my mom cant beleive i give the buns fresh romaine lettuce and i have the stuff that didnt get eaten the week before on my sandwiches :lol::lol::lol::lol:

NickieM
04-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Sorry, I agree with hubby. Pre-packaged stuff is what supermarkets called 'added value' meaning that they take a cheap product, chop it up, re-package and then triple the price. If you don't mind paying the extra, fair enough, but I would think it wasteful and I am sure the bunnies don't give a stuff as long as the stuff arrives in some shape or form. :lol::lol:

theresa
04-07-2010, 01:34 PM
mines have just had some lovely fresh spring greens,,they go mad for it,,50p at asda:wave:

NickieM
04-07-2010, 01:38 PM
mines have just had some lovely fresh spring greens,,they go mad for it,,50p at asda:wave:

Mine love those too! :

Rachel89
04-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Spring greens mine go mad for too.

Can rabbits eat romaine lettuce? May have to give mine a try if they can, I never know if its all lettuce they can't or only some?

donnamt
04-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Spring greens mine go mad for too.

Can rabbits eat romaine lettuce? May have to give mine a try if they can, I never know if its all lettuce they can't or only some?

i think its iceberg thats a no. romaine has a little star next to it to say its got vitamin A in which is supposed to be good i think. i only give one leaf a day between the two, i like to keep Alvins water intake up :D

http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html

Lspacehopper
04-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Mine go mad for Kale....they're straight into it! :)

yvette
04-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Mine go nuts for herbs like coriander...the cheeks bulge and if they could use their paws to shovel more in, the better it would be as far as they are concerned!!

pigsforlife
04-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Charlee loves romaine lettuce. She pretty much has what the guinea pigs have - which amongst a whole range of things includes a variety of 'gourmet' lettuces and endive (type of lettuce). She is not a big veggie eater and prefers to leave them and come back later. Not sure if this will all change when she gets her husbun though.

Iceberg lettuce is the one that is a no-no. It has very little nutritional value and is basically water - so often results in runny poops. I never feed this to either Charlee or the guinea pigs.

I am also with your husband though. The prepacked stuff is a lot more expensive (because you have to pay for packaging) and you can't always see the quality throughout the whole packet. Often the produce isn't as fresh as well. When I go to the fruit and veg markets to get the weeks produce, I get fresh veggies (and for cheap). Then when I get home, I wash and cut it up to fit into 2L plastic containers. When it comes time for their veggies, I pull out a couple of containers and they are all ready to go. Takes a bit more effort, but you save yourself money, you get quality veggies and all the veggies are pre-prepared and ready to go.

Saying all of that, I often get told off for spending too much on veggies. I have to stick to a budget of no more than $20!!

Rachie
04-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Mine go mad for Kale....they're straight into it! :)

What is Kale and where do I get it from? I keep reading about it on here but haven't seen any :oops:

Another fan of the 50p spring greens from asda here!

I have to agree with your hubby about buying them prepackaged stuff. I don't necessarily think that they should have to be bought the cheapest stuff but buying it pre-chopped just seems really lazy to me. It only takes a matter of seconds to chop up a carrot into four bits. I love sitting and hand feeding them :love: Plus the added price etc. Could be better spent on bunny toys :lol::lol:

Letichia
04-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Bella goes mad for anything:lol: She is a very good eater and not fussy at all. Eats LOADS of hay as well! Kale is probably one of her favs, and broccoli too. Her favourite treats are strawberries!
Archie is new to the veggie world, and i am just introducing him slowly to many different ones. Rocket seems to be a hit with him so far:)

yvette
04-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Must admit, I find carrots pricey cos I buy them with the tops on...:roll:

Rachel89
04-07-2010, 02:00 PM
That's brilliant, HOneys not a big water drinking so I always try to find veggies and a little fruit that can get it up.

Grin
04-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Spinach is lucky's fave. I only give him a bit As I know it should be limited to buns but he goes nuts for it! Lucky has the fresh bagged stuff while we make do with the frozen stuff. I go nuts when hubby dares use it in a salad! Lol!

Rachie

Orangic ones too? :oops: I buy these and a bag of normal carrots. We eat the normal carrots and the buns get the posh ones :oops:

donnamt
That's brilliant, HOneys not a big water drinking so I always try to find veggies and a little fruit that can get it up.

ive given cucumber too when Alvin has had stasis, my vet did say be careful not to give too much but thought the extra water was a good idea... havent bought non in ages cus they just keep upping the price :evil::evil:

Tracybeakerisland
04-07-2010, 02:02 PM
:shock: I feed mine on edible weeds and wild herbage from my garden. I do not wash it and I don't cut it into bite size portions. If they ever get to hear of this mythical prepped stuff they may down paws and go on strike.

{Mine are on a high hay/wild rabbit nosh with a few pellets diet but I do have a large garden and easy access to the countryside and hedgerows.}

donnamt
04-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Spinach is lucky's fave. I only give him a bit As I know it should be limited to buns but he goes nuts for it! Lucky has the fresh bagged stuff while we make do with the frozen stuff. I go nuts when hubby dares use it in a salad! Lol!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ive eaten frozen veg too while the buns get fresh... we aint right us lot :shock::shock:

weeble
04-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Got to be honest I agree with hubby - my lot get 50p spring greens from asda at the moment

pigsforlife
04-07-2010, 02:03 PM

Yes I argee. I tend to skip the carrots with tops now. Poor neglected animals! :roll: I do get things like celery (they can have the leaves) and corn (they can have the husks & silks) though. Capsicums are the other thing that can get pricey - particularly red ones. Sometimes I just get the green caps due to the price, plus red caps are higher in sugar.

Lspacehopper
04-07-2010, 02:04 PM
What is Kale and where do I get it from? I keep reading about it on here but haven't seen any :oops:

Another fan of the 50p spring greens from asda here!

I have to agree with your hubby about buying them prepackaged stuff. I don't necessarily think that they should have to be bought the cheapest stuff but buying it pre-chopped just seems really lazy to me. It only takes a matter of seconds to chop up a carrot into four bits. I love sitting and hand feeding them :love: Plus the added price etc. Could be better spent on bunny toys :lol::lol:

I get mine from Sainsburys. It is pre-packed and called curly kale. About a 1 a bag I think. Lasts well too :)

yvette
04-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Mind you...here we are all saying curly kale, spinach but am I right in thinking high calcium in both????:oops:

pigsforlife
04-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Spinach is high in oxalic acid which can bind with calcium to form oxalate stones. Not sure about Kale.

Gemmapookie
04-07-2010, 02:16 PM
My buns have organic veg/herbs and me and OH get the cheap stuff :oops::roll:

Mostly I prefer to feed them freshly picked long stems of meadow grass (from across the road from where i live) weeds and dandy leaves, all washed really well :)

TermiteFrank
04-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Sorry, I agree with hubby. Pre-packaged stuff is what supermarkets called 'added value' meaning that they take a cheap product, chop it up, re-package and then triple the price. If you don't mind paying the extra, fair enough, but I would think it wasteful and I am sure the bunnies don't give a stuff as long as the stuff arrives in some shape or form. :lol::lol:

Not to mention the chemicals they wash and package it with to keep it 'fresh' longer. Mine only get pre packaged food very occasionally when we share a bag of spinach, rocket and watercress salad. Most of the time mine get spring greens, broccoli, parsley, carrots and I've even been known to ask one of the staff in Morrisons can I take all the cauliflower leaves the other customers have ripped off and dumped in the bottom of the shelf, to which I always get a bemused yes and to take them for free. :)

areia
04-07-2010, 02:22 PM

just bought huge bunch today 75 % off they looked fine, my buns were like " WHAT TOPS AS WELL " :shock: they looked a lil confused which end do we eat first :lol:

I avoid bagged stuff for my buns to be honest, I dont care what they say there is a gas to keep it fresh and its not just oxegen

happybun
04-07-2010, 02:44 PM
i get my kale from asda but they [the rabbits] only have it once a week because its too high in something - calcium? builds up in some poor little organ - kidneys? they have spring greens, the outer leaves of savoy cabbage, sweetheart cabbage and we're going to try a green cabbage, which looks tasty (but not all at once). they have green beans as treats with a small piece of carrot once a week, and apple once a week. they haven't ever had banana - they were most suspicious of it when i offered a bit. i have a 'garden' (laughs bitterly) full of dandelions so they have dandelion leaves too. and parsley, mint, basil. they don't like coriander. but i get bored, and they must too. they have pak choi if i'm in m+s that day. they have spinach once a week at the most, too.
aha, i see someone's posting about the calcium as i write...

Bluesmum
04-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Going to go with Hubby too....I never trust pre packaged stuff.
Mine go nuts for anything veggy :lol:
I think Elve lost some piggies because there was something wrong with a bagged salad. I wouldn't risk it.

Blackberry & Co
04-07-2010, 03:16 PM
:shock: I feed mine on edible weeds and wild herbage from my garden. I do not wash it and I don't cut it into bite size portions. If they ever get to hear of this mythical prepped stuff they may down paws and go on strike.

{Mine are on a high hay/wild rabbit nosh with a few pellets diet but I do have a large garden and easy access to the countryside and hedgerows.}

I feed mine this way too - the only thing I buy now for them is the carrots (cos mine never grow :roll:) which are their treat, and pots of herbs if they've eaten all the ones that are growing. It seems to suit Clos tummy better to have a seasonal diet of 'wild' foods.

RainyMonday
04-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Mine do get pre packaged occasionally!

Like today, my mum had packaged spinach left over from making a curry so the bunnies got some spinach leaves. They went mad for it!

Char-x
04-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Not to mention the chemicals they wash and package it with to keep it 'fresh' longer. Mine only get pre packaged food very occasionally when we share a bag of spinach, rocket and watercress salad. Most of the time mine get spring greens, broccoli, parsley, carrots and I've even been known to ask one of the staff in Morrisons can I take all the cauliflower leaves the other customers have ripped off and dumped in the bottom of the shelf, to which I always get a bemused yes and to take them for free. :)

Agreed. I dont feed my guinea pigs anything that pre packaged other than baby tomatoes...

martlou
04-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Don't give mine anything pre-prepared either. Spring greens are favourite, closely followed by carrot. I buy the ones with tops on from time to time cos they love them. If I buy non-topped ones I always cut off both ends before cutting them up :lol::lol::lol: cos I always think they're the nasty bits :lol::lol::lol:

gil
04-07-2010, 05:44 PM
the spring greens in asda are 50p just now so that's good value when u have 7 buns to feed! but the pre-packed chopped carrots in asda are sometimes 50p too so i will buy that then.
can't get kale in my asda but have a great local fruitshop that gets kale in for me. they sell me the previous day's parsley for 10p a bag which is great!

abbymarysmokey
04-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Mine only get value veg too...50p spring greens, 60p lettuce, 60p celery and economy bags of funny shaped carrots...bargain!

I personally can't see the point in buying expensive veg...and I definitely wouldn't buy pre-chopped veg because it goes off quicker.

Snowberry
04-07-2010, 06:36 PM
I always buy carrot battons ready cut and ready sliced spring greens. Its so much easier and since I dont buy veg for myself I dont like preparing it.

donnamt
04-07-2010, 06:43 PM
kale only comes prepared, ive never seen what it looks like uncut :lol::lol:

i havent given spring greens since Judy's thread about a possible stasis link, no carrots either :cry::cry:.

i only give human veg now because in the winter when theres no brambles, roses, hawthorn or dandelions Alvin and Hollys tummies would need to get used to human veg again and i dont like that idea much so im keeping it in the diet just incase of future upsets :shock::shock:

Blackberry & Co
04-07-2010, 06:45 PM
kale only comes prepared, ive never seen what it looks like uncut :lol::lol:

i havent given spring greens since Judy's thread about a possible stasis link, no carrots either :cry::cry:.

i only give human veg now because in the winter when theres no brambles, roses, hawthorn or dandelions Alvin and Hollys tummies would need to get used to human veg again and i dont like that idea much so im keeping it in the diet just incase of future upsets :shock::shock:

Am drying a very large store of bramble leaves etc ready for winter so that the boys don't have to have too much human veg.

donnamt
04-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Am drying a very large store of bramble leaves etc ready for winter so that the boys don't have to have too much human veg.

i started but because ste came home ive used up my stocks.. theres no way im going to get them through winter the amount they currently have as treats or scattered in hay... a bit worried tbh, Alvin is doing so good and im scared itll all get undone by human veg :(

Blackberry & Co
04-07-2010, 06:48 PM
i started but because ste came home ive used up my stocks.. theres no way im going to get them through winter the amount they currently have as treats or scattered in hay... a bit worried tbh, Alvin is doing so good and im scared itll all get undone by human veg :(

Do you use herbs? I give those rather than veg, and you can buy pots of those all year round :)

donnamt
04-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Do you use herbs? I give those rather than veg, and you can buy pots of those all year round :)

basil at the mo :D parsley dies as soon as i look at it :roll:... i may add the others when winter comes. i just cant imagine life without fresh brambles, its already harder to find dandelions :shock::shock:

we need rain :lol::lol::lol:

need to shift my ass and get drying nettles theres millions about right now

Blackberry & Co
04-07-2010, 06:52 PM
basil at the mo :D parsley dies as soon as i look at it :roll:... i may add the others when winter comes. i just cant imagine life without fresh brambles, its already harder to find dandelions :shock::shock:

Dandelions are sparse around here too, but when we get rain they'll pick up. Have you tried rose leaves and petals? My boys love them, and they are so easy to collect and dry.

donnamt
04-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Dandelions are sparse around here too, but when we get rain they'll pick up. Have you tried rose leaves and petals? My boys love them, and they are so easy to collect and dry.

petals were frowned upon. leaves are going down well.. altho my mom isnt impressed at her shrinking plants :lol::lol::lol:

abbymarysmokey
04-07-2010, 06:54 PM

Apple tree leaves are great too.

I'm lucky that I have a couple of apple trees in my gardens, but the council often plant them in parks or nature reserves

Blackberry & Co
04-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Apple tree leaves are great too.

I'm lucky that I have a couple of apple trees in my gardens, but the council often plant them in parks or nature reserves

I drove out to a common near where I used to live last autumn specially to get apple branches and leaves to find all of the trees had very inconsiderately died :shock:

I need an apple tree of my own........I don't know anyone who has one any more....

Grin
04-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Are blackberries and blackberry twigs ok for bunnies?

happysaz133
04-07-2010, 09:01 PM

Yep, I agree! Mine get leftovers, I very rarely buy them something.

Although the day I adopted them, when we were travelling 2.5hours home, on the train and car, I did pop into Marks and Spencers and bought them a bag. But that's all they ever got!

clutterydrawer
05-07-2010, 07:45 AM
I agree with your husband I'm afraid...but then I would never countenance buying pre-prepared veg for humans either :lol: There's usually more packaging on it, it's phenomenally expensive and the more you chop up their food for them, the less work they have to do themselves - I like to give them a big sprout stalk and they're occupied for hours :) What's the point of providing toys and environmental enrichment for our pets if we then chew their food for them? It doesn't make sense :lol:

pigsforlife
05-07-2010, 07:58 AM
I am jealous of all of you and your herbs. I can get big bunches of parsley for $2 - but basil & mint come in tiny packets for about $3. It is a rip off cause the amount in the packets wouldn't even please Charlee (and she isn't overly fussed with veggies). Corriander is the other herb that I can get - but I refuse because the smell makes me gag, and the guinea pigs turn up their noses at it.

clutterydrawer
10-07-2010, 10:48 PM

Nettles aren't suitable for human consumption after june - I don't know if the same applies to rabbits but it might be worth checking out. :)