• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can wind scare rabbits?

ash&crystal

Alpha Buck
Well the weather is terrible and there is like gail force winds out side and its been going on through the night

well i came out this morning and ash was running into walls and only stopped when i picked her up and brought her inside.

does she sound scared
or
is she excitable

any advice appreciated
ash&crystal

Yep, some bunnies are scared. George spent the whole of last night stamping his feet because of the wind :( Its still really bad today too.

xXx

I think strong wind robs them of everything they rely on as a rabbit. They cannot hear above the wind. Smells and scents are harder to detect. The wind makes everything move, so it's harder to tell if something is approaching. Plus they have smaller, fragile little bodies that I know are closer to the ground and so more protected from strongers winds, but it still must buffet them a little.

Wind excites my bunnies, maybe not gale force wind, but when a breeze ruffles their fur they always binky haha

The only one who doesn't like the wind is Mr Bingley, he sits well away from the wind. The other three actively sit facing the wind, little faces up, letting it ruffle their manes ... they might like it but their mummeh doesn't as it means a lot of fur detangling :roll:
I can see why it might spook a lot of buns though, especially of it's gusty.

It's gusty here today, and although Dan and Clo have been quite happily sitting in the wind in the run on the lawn I've put them back in the aviary as I don't like how strong the wind is (especially as there are so many trees blowing near the run).

The wind frightens Bramble if he is outside in it. I think it's because he can't see it.....it sneaks up on him!

Back