• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice for New Bunnies Please (regarding bonding) Poll Added

What is the best bonding option??

• Bond the seperatley, 1+1 at rescue, I do 2+2

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Bond all together straight away, I do 1+1+2

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

wally4eva

Mama Doe
Well I haven't got any new bunnies but we are looking at some.

Ok so I have my two.
The rescue has 1 male and 1 female that are not bonded that we are interested in. The rescue has offered to bond them for us.
The question is:
1. Do I say yes to the rescue bonding them and then bond those 2 and my 2 myself (the rescue don't do bonding)??
2. Or 2 do I adopt the two from the rescue while still seperate and then bond my self to make a 4?? (meaning there would be 2+1+1)

What would you do?

Also one more question.
My male is quite feisty, do you think to bond him with another male (both neutered) would be a good idea??

Thank you:D

Last edited:
Im not very experienced with bonding but i would say it *might* be a good idea to let the recue bond the 2 at the rescue then it would be like bonding to people who are very hapy with each other to other people who are happy with each other so it also wouldnt meen doing ractically 2 bndings if you get what im saying but as i say i am *very* inexperienced with bonding !!!!

Im not very experienced with bonding but i would say it *might* be a good idea to let the recue bond the 2 at the rescue then it would be like bonding to people who are very hapy with each other to other people who are happy with each other so it also wouldnt meen doing ractically 2 bndings if you get what im saying but as i say i am *very* inexperienced with bonding !!!!

Thank you. I had that thought to.:D It makes sense:p

What would happen if the bonding didn't work out? Normally I would say just get on with bonding all four at the same time rather than stress the buns out twice with two bondings, but it really depends on what you'd do if the bonding didn't work out.

If you could keep two pairs in suitable accommodation if they didn't bond, then I would let the rescue bond the other two first, because at least that way you know that you have 2 pairs if it doesn't work. But if you would need to return them if the bonding into a 4 doesn't work, I would just take them as two singles because that avoids the need for two separate bondings and means that it would be easier for the rescue to find them homes again afterwards.

Does that make sense?

What would happen if the bonding didn't work out? Normally I would say just get on with bonding all four at the same time rather than stress the buns out twice with two bondings, but it really depends on what you'd do if the bonding didn't work out.

If you could keep two pairs in suitable accommodation if they didn't bond, then I would let the rescue bond the other two first, because at least that way you know that you have 2 pairs if it doesn't work. But if you would need to return them if the bonding into a 4 doesn't work, I would just take them as two singles because that avoids the need for two separate bondings and means that it would be easier for the rescue to find them homes again afterwards.

Does that make sense?

Yes it makes sense, thank you.
If the bonding didn't work then I would probably although it woudl break my heart, have to return them.
The singles seems the best option then if I can't keep them seperately.
thank you very much:D

Forgive me if this comes across rude but it doesnt seem fair to adopt two single rabbits in the hope to make a foursome and then to return them if it doesn't work out! Is there no way you would be able to bond the two singles first and then if the foursome doesn't work at least you would have another bonded pair as opposed to 2 single rabbits that have to go back to rescue.

Forgive me if this comes across rude but it doesnt seem fair to adopt two single rabbits in the hope to make a foursome and then to return them if it doesn't work out! Is there no way you would be able to bond the two singles first and then if the foursome doesn't work at least you would have another bonded pair as opposed to 2 single rabbits that have to go back to rescue.

I think I won't be able to keep them, however with a bit of pushing from me and if my parents fall in love with them it may be possible to keep 2 pairs. What I said is not set in stone. I would hate to have to return them to the rescue but in the begginning I want to help as many rabbits as I can and its worth trying because it might work. Sorry if I sound rude too. Thank you for your opinion, I will consider it.

I think I won't be able to keep them, however with a bit of pushing from me and if my parents fall in love with them it may be possible to keep 2 pairs. What I said is not set in stone. I would hate to have to return them to the rescue but in the begginning I want to help as many rabbits as I can and its worth trying because it might work. Sorry if I sound rude too. Thank you for your opinion, I will consider it.

I am by far no expert in bonding so wasn't criticising at all just thought it would be quite sad to send them back, so hopefully you mum and dad will love them and you could have 2 pairs and I dont know but perhaps they would eventually become a foursome!! :):):)

Forgive me if this comes across rude but it doesnt seem fair to adopt two single rabbits in the hope to make a foursome and then to return them if it doesn't work out!

It's not unusual; if the rescue doesn't do the bonding it's sort of an occupational hazard I guess, as you can never accurately predict whether it's going to work or not. I've had to return a bun to a rescue before where I tried the bonding and it didn't work - is it more unfair on the bun to have at least tried and known that it would have had a great home, or to not even try just in case it doesn't work?

In an ideal world of course it would be great if everyone could keep the buns they try and bond, but then there are additional space requirements and if they then need a partner the cycle could go on forever. Sometimes it's just not possible if space etc means that they can't be kept in accommodation suitable to their needs and the best option overall, sadly, is to return them to the rescue. With buns in a rescue being bonded elsewhere, it's always going to be a pretty unavoidable possibility.

It's not unusual; if the rescue doesn't do the bonding it's sort of an occupational hazard I guess, as you can never accurately predict whether it's going to work or not. I've had to return a bun to a rescue before where I tried the bonding and it didn't work - is it more unfair on the bun to have at least tried and known that it would have had a great home, or to not even try just in case it doesn't work?

In an ideal world of course it would be great if everyone could keep the buns they try and bond, but then there are additional space requirements and if they then need a partner the cycle could go on forever. Sometimes it's just not possible if space etc means that they can't be kept in accommodation suitable to their needs and the best option overall, sadly, is to return them to the rescue. With buns in a rescue being bonded elsewhere, it's always going to be a pretty unavoidable possibility.

Yes I understand what your saying, I would hate to have to return bunnies, but i wouldn't want to keep them with unsuitable space and accomodation. Thanks:D

I am by far no expert in bonding so wasn't criticising at all just thought it would be quite sad to send them back, so hopefully you mum and dad will love them and you could have 2 pairs and I dont know but perhaps they would eventually become a foursome!! :):):)

It would be sad I know what you mean. Fingers crossed:D Thanks:D:D

It was more the case of 2 singles than 1. It just seemed a hefty challenge to me to bond 2 unbonded buns with a bonded pair. But as I said I am no bonding expert so wasnt picking fault at all, I just wondered if it may be better to bond the singles and then try bond to foursome that was all!

It was more the case of 2 singles than 1. It just seemed a hefty challenge to me to bond 2 unbonded buns with a bonded pair. But as I said I am no bonding expert so wasnt picking fault at all, I just wondered if it may be better to bond the singles and then try bond to foursome that was all!

I thought it would be quite hard too, and thats exactly what I want to find out.:)

I don't think it makes the slightest bit of difference whether they're a 2+1+1 or a 2+2 before the bonding. The dynamics change so much when you put them together in a neutral space and it's often surprising who does what! The other issue with doing a 2+2 is that bonding in itself is quite stressful so ideally I would say it's better to do it once and get it over and done with rather than bond the two singles into a pair, let them get over the stress and confusion of that, and then go through the whole thing all over again with another pair.

I don't think it makes the slightest bit of difference whether they're a 2+1+1 or a 2+2 before the bonding. The dynamics change so much when you put them together in a neutral space and it's often surprising who does what! The other issue with doing a 2+2 is that bonding in itself is quite stressful so ideally I would say it's better to do it once and get it over and done with rather than bond the two singles into a pair, let them get over the stress and confusion of that, and then go through the whole thing all over again with another pair.

That makes sense, I think all together would be the best option then. thank you very much:D:D

I agree with this. When bonding, even if its 2 pairs, as soon as you put them into a bonding pen they realistically go in as 4 singles - if that makes sense? If you arent experienced with bonding, i would suggest you get a rescue that will help - you will need a few pairs of hands!!

Good luck :) x

I agree with this. When bonding, even if its 2 pairs, as soon as you put them into a bonding pen they realistically go in as 4 singles - if that makes sense? If you arent experienced with bonding, i would suggest you get a rescue that will help - you will need a few pairs of hands!!

Good luck :) x

I see what you mean.
Yes I was thinking about doing that, I think I will need some help!! Thanks:D

Totally agree with this, I would not go down the route of slowly adding another as this is often very stressful in buns, it is better to subject them to one stressful episode than lots.

Back