• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Potential 2nd bun

I got a bun yesterday from pets at home, a baby boy called Ralph. However I feel quite bad on taking him away from other rabbits and want to buy another one. Would I be best getting another baby rabbit from pets at home or getting one from a foster home or rspca etc. Although she would then be older than the baby would this affect anything?

Also how old do you get the buns sprayed and neutered?

Male rabbits can be castrated from between 12 - 16 weeks depending on when their testicles descend. They then need a period of at least 4 weeks to allow their hormones to drop and any sperm to become inactive.

I would suggest then getting a partner from a rescue as some pet shops / breeders are not always accurate in their ability to sex rabbits. It will be a lot easier to bond a female in with your male.

hello:wave:
i would think getting a bun from a rescue would be good as you would be helping a needy rabbit and he/she would be neutered/spayed(idont know wheather sprayed what a typo or not) although you would have to bond them
you can usually get a bun neutered between 3-6 months and spayed between 5-6 months

Welcome to RU :wave:

does anyone know of any rescue centres in or around the Manchester/Salford area. Also I have no transport which makes rescue centres a hard choice.

LottieLouise might be able to recommend one if you PM her.

Also if you look on Rabbit Rehome (click on the link at the bottom right hand of your page), they will often help out with a bunny run to get a rabbit to you.

Last edited:
would it be best to wait about 5-6 months and get the bun neutered and then get a girl bun for him once he is neutered so that there is no chance of them breeding. I dont want to go to the pet shop tomorrow buy a rabbit and then 2 months later see that female bun is pregnant.

How big is the cage? There are plenty of people on here who can help advise of their minimum requirements.

I think the general standard is 6' x 2' x 2' for two bunnies.

I have one bunny in a temporary 4' x 2' x 2' double hutch as we have taken her in from a friend. To have 2 bunnies in just one level would be a tight squeeze. If you are thinking of getting another bunny, I would recommend that you do consider upgrading to a larger hutch (or shed - there are lots of ideas on here and sheds are a reasonable price).

There are plenty of people on here who do homechecks so will be able to advise you better than me.

Is taking the hutch back to P@H and option, you could tell them that you now know that the recommended size is 6'.

Back