• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anybun live in a warren?

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
I can't remember where I saw it, but I know I've heard of domestics being kept in a really natural situation. Like, it's an enclosed garden, with a man-made warren for them to retreat to?

Does anyone know what I mean, and is it one of you lot who keeps their buns like this?

yes i know what you mean- I do let mine dig alot, and fill it in after several days, i'm not sure how far the warrens go- but i think pretty deep. I heard of a man who did it all properly though.

There is someone on here I believe who has tubes which go underground in an earth mound. The only problem is keeping it clean and dry. You need to ensure that water does not colelct in a dip and that you can clear out any poo.

there was a chap who posted a pic of his bunny garden which is a warren - or someone posted it for him. and someone else has a tunnel from their conservatory to a run, i think. don't know any names though.

I have a warren built out in my run for my group its done with tubes and concreat ....the only problem we have with it they dig there own holes too in it also they have a habit off bringing the dirt inside the shed too at the moment so we are now going to build a outsside wall around the hatch they go out in so there a box area they need to go through first before they get outside

I used to have undergraound runs and pipes and group areas, until the foxes started to arrive - now they are all safe and sound in aviary runs . . but not so natural:(

Thanks for the replies everyone! Mudgy, that was certainly the style of warren I'm talking about, but not the exact one.

Does anyone have any piccies of their warrens? How do you get the buns out if they don't come when called?

That was the problem . . . and once the foxes were around we couldn't risk a rabbit staying down there overnight (in case the nipped up top and were nabbed by the fox).

They also used to go down when ill and we would have to dig them out to get them to the vet.

My rabbits have dug as i have had them out for several nights in a run without mesh- they have dug a warren, but it is just a mud one that is under my garden, they have done all the good work- i filled it in yesterday, but they unfilled it by this morning. I don't want them to get stuck in it, but they do come out when i come near as they think i'm going to feed them, which i usually am. My bunnys love there feed.

In a perfect world I would love my bunnies to livve more naturally, unfortunatley stasis dogs cats and foxes prevents it:cry:

However my two are big softies so used to their indoor palace:love:

Back