• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Continental Giant rescued bun with sore feet

Louise G

Warren Scout
We have rescued a continental Giant who is about 4 and has been kept on wire covered floor for four years. He is on grass and lots of soft hay at the moment but his back feet in particular are really sore. They have wounds about the size of a 20p peice which are red scabbed and one looks ulcerated. The vets is not open until monday and it is clear he is uncomfortable walking around as he tests his feet before moving. I have cleaned them with warm salt water but I dont know if this is the right thing to do? Please help

ps- he is not overweight and about half the size he should be (weighs about a stone) Thanks x

Hiya :wave:
Poor boy :( Do you have any sudocrem? This might soothe it abit. A bandage would be good aswell, Im sure someone who knows how to do this properly will post soon.
And definatly a vets visit on Monday xxxxx

thankyou for your advice, I have cleansed his feet and applied sudocrem. Unfortuatley I have noticed on closer inspection, one of his back feet has a lump/abscess that moves and clicks a bit if you touch it. It is quite large. I am really worried now :( I wish the vets was open today x

does anyone know if this is serious? Ive read up a bit about it and somewhere said amputation might be the only cure :O

Vets are open 24/7. Call your normal number and there should be a message telling you how to contact them out of hours. I'm sure amputation would be an absolute last resort given the information you've presented in this thread.

Hi how is he today? Did you manage to get him to a vet?
The abcess doesnt sound good atall (my first thought was that it could even be bone poking through :shock:) and hes probably in alot of pain which could lead to him not eating eventually.
Vibes for the poor fella xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have managed to get him an appointment at the vets tomorrow morning. He is hopping around the garden at the moment. I have been watching him and he has been exploring most of the time and his feet don't seem to be bothering him as much today as he is standing up putting his weight on them. I will clean them again later and hopefully tomorrow the vet will be able to sort him out. I feel so sorry for him. His wounds must have been years in the making and he is such a lovely soft boy. thanks so much for your advice xxx

Poor man, Im so glad he's with a caring owner now and will be looked after so well :love:

Let us know how he gets on at the vets and maybe some piccys are in order ;)

There are lots of threads on here about sore hocks, i've done a quick search with my name attached to them as i've posted quite a bit about it on different threads:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search.php?searchid=5163423 I would have a read through so you know what you are dealing with and what sort of treatment you want to be asking the vet about.
There are also a few members on here with a great deal more practical experience of sore hocks than I so look for their posts too - Jack's Jane and Hugo's There.
A full foot examination is essential - checking bones and tendons and for infection. Any infection will need antibiotic treatment and if it is abcessated then probably quite strong antibiotics. The use of NSAID's is IMO essential to reduce inflammation and skin thickening.
I personally do not like creams being applied unless you are prepared to bandage the feet to prevent infection - creams soften the skin and flatten the surrounding fur that is doing a good job of preventing the hocks getting worse. There are also lots of underlying risk factors which need to be ruled out.
I suspect being a giant - weight is going to be one of these.

This is also a good basic article:
http://www.vet2pet.co.uk/pethealth/rabbithealth/sorehocks_rabbit.asp

awww thankyou so much for all your advice. I have taken him to the vets today and he has had a full check over. He has had two injections, one antibiotic, one steroid and has also given me some ointment for a scratch on his eyelid. He said the lump is actually just a healed injury from a broken/fractured foot/leg that has healed on its own. The poor mite :( he also said that i need to continue cleaning his foot wounds with cold tea/ salt water and patting them dry and continue changing his bedding regularly and watch for flies. Hopefully they will heal on their own but Im taking him back for another two injections on thursday to make sure. Apart from that he seems healthy and happy in his new home. He has started to avoid me though because he knows I am the one who puts ointment in his eye and cleans his feet. Earlier I went outside to find him snuggled under the tiny guinepig tunnel which only covered the back of his head and his front half of body... the rest was sticking out either end. He looked so content though. hes such a funny chap xxx

Back