• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding links?

pigsforlife

Mama Doe
Made a thread awhile ago asking for a bit of advice about housing and bonding amongst other things but got little response. Well it is now nearing to d-day so I need some more advice. Noah is being nuetered on Wednesday. Once he has recovered, we will be organising a meet and greet. I expect this will be either later this coming week or the week after. The whole meet and greet thing is the rescue's policy and enables us to get some idea as to how they will get on. Charlee and Noah will be put together in a nuetral area.

That is as far as I have got. So is there any links to bonding articles or websites that are helpful? Or do you have some suggestions? I am not sure whether they will then be able to go home in the same carrier and then into Charlee's pen (scrubbed down, new litter tray, new bedding throughout, new hay). Her pen is 6ftx3ft, is this too big? Or do I confine them to something smaller? And are they to be confined to the pen (no free range) until they are truly "bonded"?

Bonding guinea pigs usually involves putting them into a nuetral area. Watching for signs of aggression, chucking in some distracting veggies, leaving for a couple of hours whilst they settle out their hierachy, and then once you are comfortable they get along - into a freshly cleaned cage. I have a feeling bonding bunnies isn't so simple.

A good tip when putting up a thread to get a response from people is to give enough information for what you are requiring but not too much - avoid the padding. Don't ask too many questions in the one thread, you can always add further questions as you go and people have responded. Many people dont have the time to sit down and respond to a complicated thread whereas if it the thread requires reading through a number of times before you understand what is happening you end up switching off. Also ensure that it is written in 'good English' which you have, as many people will not respond to text written threads.

Noah is being nuetered on Wednesday. Once he has recovered, we will be organising a meet and greet. I expect this will be either later this coming week or the week after. Not sure if you are planning the meet and greet within a week or two after your boy is neutered, if you are please leave it longer as the boy will still be very hormonal and may well end up humping his new partner and she may get fed up and retaliate and they end up fighting. Is the partner to be neutered, if she is not you will need to wait longer as he will still be fertile for a while after.

The whole meet and greet thing is the rescue's policy and enables us to get some idea as to how they will get on. Charlee and Noah will be put together in a nuetral area. I am not sure whether they will then be able to go home in the same carrier and then into Charlee's pen (scrubbed down, new litter tray, new bedding throughout, new hay). Once you have started keep going, therefore only go to collect them from the rescue if you have at least 48 hours afterwards off so that you can supervise them. Chasing, nipping and humping are normal. Circling and fighting is not, pull them away using a broom count to 10 slowy and then release them. Don't separate.

Her pen is 6ftx3ft, is this too big? Yes

Or do I confine them to something smaller? Ideally about 4 x 2 foot until at least 48 hours after they have properly settled.

And are they to be confined to the pen (no free range) until they are truly "bonded"? Yes - defiantely no free range until they are settled. Space will be required to be very slowly increased that is if they are happy in that area for at least 48 horus. Please do remember that anywhere after introducing the rabbits go that this must be totally neutral. You dont mention if they are indoor buns, if they are you will need to neutralise all of the areas that your current bun goes.

Bonding guinea pigs usually involves putting them into a nuetral area. Watching for signs of aggression, chucking in some distracting veggies, leaving for a couple of hours whilst they settle out their hierachy, and then once you are comfortable they get along - into a freshly cleaned cage. I have a feeling bonding bunnies isn't so simple. Same theory but rabbits are usually a touch more tricky. Some are straight forward, others not.

Completely agree with everything Janice has said, be careful not to give them too much space too soon, you need to judge when the time is right, some are really easy to bond, some take slightly longer in a smaller space. The trick is not to let them fight, if it looks like things are esculating then intervene, i personally use a light spray of water, but i know lots of people hav brooms on stand by... i found it just irritated my buns and they went for the broom where as water settled them but then some people on here say water doesnt work with theirs :lol: . Depends on the bunnies :wave:

Thanks for the tips! I tend to ramble a bit. I am not very direct.

1) Charlee is spayed, Noah is being nuetered. We were planning it within the week or two as I can easily get some time off then - but we may have to work something else out.
2) Good to know. I can easily put a divider in to restrict their space.
3) Charlee is indoors. She has a pen and then the run of my room. They can't go anywhere else due to the dogs. I planning on using vinegar on absolutely everything and will try to be as thorough as possible.

More questions;
1) How long would you recommend I wait before the meet and greet?
2) What are signs they are bonded?
3) Noah is on different food to Charlee. Do I mix their foods 50/50 and then slowly wean back onto Charlee's?

Thanks for the tips! I tend to ramble a bit. I am not very direct.

1) Charlee is spayed, Noah is being nuetered. We were planning it within the week or two as I can easily get some time off then - but we may have to work something else out.
2) Good to know. I can easily put a divider in to restrict their space.
3) Charlee is indoors. She has a pen and then the run of my room. They can't go anywhere else due to the dogs. I planning on using vinegar on absolutely everything and will try to be as thorough as possible.

More questions;

I think boys can remain hormonal for about a month after being neutered.

Licking/Grooming, Snuggling and laying down together.

3) Noah is on different food to Charlee. Do I mix their foods 50/50 and then slowly wean back onto Charlee's?

I would feed them in seperate bowls, a lot of bunnies can actually become quite aggresive at feed time so probably best to feed in seperate bowls, that way you can keep Charlee on her normal food and start weening Noah on to the same food.

More questions;
Id give 6 weeks for hormones to settle, set aside a weekend to bond and supervise them
Once they stop showing defensive behaviour, the groom eachother, lie together and are generally settled
If you are going to feed them the same food then yes slowly start weaning the one you arent going to use out... then scatter feed them to start with rather than using bowls

Thanks for the help!

4-6 weeks puts off our plans just a little. And setting aside a weekend isn't so easy as I work Saturdays - which is why in the next 2 weeks it would be ideal as I can easily get time off work. I will talk to his foster carer, and the rescue coordinator and see if we can work something out. He is 5 months old and with his intact brother, and very placid so maybe hormones won't be a problem for him. We will see.

Not sure on some of these suppose, everything does depend on the rabbits :roll:
We have bamboo tunnels as well and we didn't neutralise them.

Our bonding was a love at first sight one though so made our lives very easy :D
After about 3 dates ours were grooming and happily bonded.
Obviously we watched them very carefully but after a few chases they were good to go. :love:

Not sure about carrier as we bonded ours at home but I think you do, they don't like cars so they should huddle together for support... but like I said we didn't do this so not fully sure.:oops:

Vinegar was strong enough for ours because of this. I guess you'll know after the first few dates... :wave:

Back