• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit shows

brutalbaby

Warren Scout
Hi there,

I was just thinking about rabbit shows the other day and i dont have a clue about them. I have an Opal mini Lop Doe and she is beautiful and i would love to show her off just as a bit off fun for the rabbit and I. I wouldnt want to upset her in any way.

I dont know much about these shows and what the rabbit needs to do...

Could some one help me and also if any one knows when the shows are in Kent?

Thank you

Hiya! :wave:

Most of us on here are opposed to rabbit shows. Tiny cramped cages, overwhelming heat, nowhere to hide, the stress of travel, being manhandled (often ungently) by the judge, crowds of noisy people around...

Basically, while they sound like fun, rabbit shows are really a stressful experience, with nothing to be gained for the rabbit.

I'd advise getting her neutered (80% unneutered does develop uterine cancer) and bonding her with a husbun from a rescue centre. You can have plenty of fun with them at home.

Welcome to RU anyway, hope you stick around! :wave:

Last edited:
Hiya! :wave:

Most of us on here are opposed to rabbit shows. Tiny cramped cages, overwhelming heat, nowhere to hide, the stress of travel, being manhandled (often ungently) by the judge, crowds of noisy people around...

Basically, while they sound like fun, rabbit shows are really a stressful experience, with nothing to be gained for the rabbit.

I'd advise getting her neutered (80% unneutered does develop uterine cancer) and bonding her with a husbun from a rescue centre. You can have plenty of fun with them at home.

Welcome to RU anyway, hope you stick around! :wave:

I agree, there are no regulations for vaccinations either so I would be careful there, not sure why - maybe because some of the showers/breeders eat their stock :? :evil:

omg that actually sounds awful!!

i thought it would be a nice thing to do... i'll skip that idea then lol.

My lil girl has a play mate, another doe (lion head cross) they are very bonded and love running about the graden together now that the weather is warmer... normaly they are house buns.

but thank you for the advice :)

Hi there,

I was just thinking about rabbit shows the other day and i dont have a clue about them. I have an Opal mini Lop Doe and she is beautiful and i would love to show her off just as a bit off fun for the rabbit and I. I wouldnt want to upset her in any way.

I dont know much about these shows and what the rabbit needs to do...

Could some one help me and also if any one knows when the shows are in Kent?

Thank you

http://www.secure-website.com/thebrc/index.htm

I agree with what has been said. I am also against shows. I believe that they are for the entertainment of humans only and do not benefit the buns (they get nothing out of it). Honestly, which bun really cares what they look like or if they are a certain colour/breed/shape? Which bun really cares if they win an award?

omg that actually sounds awful!!

i thought it would be a nice thing to do... i'll skip that idea then lol.

My lil girl has a play mate, another doe (lion head cross) they are very bonded and love running about the graden together now that the weather is warmer... normaly they are house buns.

but thank you for the advice :)

No problem! They sound really happy, which is great! They're defiantely both girls then? I thought one was a boy (sorry, I get confused easily!) just so long as they're both neutered as soon as possible, they'll stay living together happily. It's just important you get them done to prevent fighting, which may cause them to fall out permanetly!

sorry i didnt explain myself properly... we dont know for sure if the lion head is male or female... but the lil doe mini lop is neutured, so she is pretty safe. but they get on fine and always kissing each other. i did take the lion head to a vet and he said that it was a boy, but the rabbit was too young to know for sure. but tbh i think he a is a girl... she hes behaviour is very similar to the min lop, :S

:wave:Welcome!

Agree with the others - just enjoy your buns for yourself, and you can always 'show' them here!!!!

We'd love to see pictures of them :love:

Everyone has different ideas on shows, my advice is to go along to one yourself and see what you think

I went to Honley a few weeks ago. I'm not sure I would go again. Some of the rabbits looked fine and happy, others didn't. I was interested to see the rabbit jumping but I ended up getting upset at the way some people where handling the rabbits- particularly some of the teen ones. I always used to find this at horse shows as well though.. I think the organisers should have a duty to step in when there is mistreatment and it doesn't excactly set a good example to the spectators, which included lots of children. Also I think the ring could have been set up better- people where able to get far to close and where even sticking their fingers through the bars of the cages. It would have been much better if the animals had been at least a meter from the spectators to prevent this- they could have still had a good look from there. I also think its disgusting that you can't show a neutered rabbit, why should pet owners who wish to show but not breed be forced to choose between showing or responsible neutering -although there is no choice as far as I'm concerned. I could have have/ and was going to have Toby BRC rung but after considering all this and going to see for myself I have decided he will be happier bonded with treacle minus his bits!

(PS you can't show a pedigree if it isn't BRC rung- although you can enter it in a general 'best pet rabbit' class or rabbit jumping)

Have you ever been to one yourself? :)

yes demi has been to many shows like me she shows rabbits
my advice is the same go to a show and see what you think make up your own mind ;) i have been showing for years and it is alot of fun
you can show any rabbit in pet classesbut have to have a brc rung rabbits in the propper show, no you can show a neutered brc rung rabbit in main show as with dogs it effects the rabbit weight gain and coat change,but neutered rabbits can be shown in pet classes
ann x

to be honest it all sounds a bit too much for my lil rabbit to go to a big show like a BRC.... and how do u get a ring? and where does the rabbit have to wear it and do they have to wear it all the time, i think my lil bunny would get really frustrated wearing one of those, i dont think i could do it to her.

i wouldnt mind going to a small pet show though, they seem more friendly and more fun.... i dont know of any around this area though :?

Chaz x

She cant wear a ring, she is too old for it to be put on.

She cant enter the breed classes as she does not have a ring, and she cannot get one as it is too late for her.

She can enter the pet classes (which are judged on friendliness, health cleanliness) as she dosent need a ring for that.

oh i see they are put on the bunnies when they are very young then?

yeh i think pet shows will be more suited for her any ways... at the end of the day i brought her to be a pet and a friend for my Autumn... not just for showing :)

yes, they are little metal rings that are slipped on the leg when they are young/ still at breeders. Kindof like pigeons.

Thats another thing I don't like about shows - the rings on buns. They put clips on the ears of guinea pigs. I think it is cruel just personally.

I didnt realise they had RINGS put on their legs :shock:
I wouldnt be atall comfortable with that to be honest.

As you'll see brutalbaby, there is some conflicting opinions on this matter on this forum, but you will make the best one for your bun ;)

Back