• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Verity very ill after spay.

Wiserabbit

Young Bun
Verity went in for her spay yesterday and although she came round from the aneasthetic fine, she's refusing to eat or drink and hasn't passed anything since either. She is still being nursed at the vets now, which I suppose is the best place for her, but I am ever so worried about the little sausage!

I know the vets will know the best thing, but I'm starting to worry that she won't be coming home.

Girls do tend to take a bit longer to get over their spey.. I hope she starts to eat and poop soon... you are right - she is in the best place.

Hope she gets better soon. My girl was in for a spay on Friday and is exactly the same, so hope that makes you feel better. We have had her home and are just tempting her with greens/hay etc and just giving her tlc.

She seems a lot better. She bit the husband last night when we were feeding her the recovery stuff in a syringe and today took the hint and ate all by herself.

Now we just have to try and reintroduce! She was the protagonist before so maybe she will have calmed down!

5 days post op spay

hi everyone, was wondering if anyone has noticed that after ur buns spay they dont reconize there water bottle or other fimiliar items? Snickz was fixed last week and had a hard time snapping back-she is doing better(eating,playing) but she refuses to use her water btle! its like she doesnt remember it. i have now given her a bowl of water that she drinks fro, but cant help but wonder? also tonite i noticed her laying flopped out, almost panting. is this normal? im sooo worried , im afraid more went on in the surgery then vet told me. Any advice would be appreciated-thanks:wave:

hi everyone, was wondering if anyone has noticed that after ur buns spay they dont reconize there water bottle or other fimiliar items? Snickz was fixed last week and had a hard time snapping back-she is doing better(eating,playing) but she refuses to use her water btle! its like she doesnt remember it. i have now given her a bowl of water that she drinks fro, but cant help but wonder? also tonite i noticed her laying flopped out, almost panting. is this normal? im sooo worried , im afraid more went on in the surgery then vet told me. Any advice would be appreciated-thanks:wave:

Hi, Has she had a post op check at the Vets, the panting is a concern she could still be in some pain, how often has this been happening? Has she been pooping normally? Has she had any pain relief (ie metacam) since coming home? If you're worried I would take her back.

Hope everything is ok.

Hiya,

My two were the same. They were done end of last month and neither wanted to use their water bottle.
So I had to give them water by putting the water bottle in front of them and gently squeezing so they would get used to it.

They are fine now! :) drinking away happily on their own, took almost a week for them to get used to it. :)

I did have a bowl down for a few of the days, but they like to kick everything into it. :p

Back