• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New Bunny problems

johnpeten

New Kit
Six months ago I bought 2 baby does and a baby buck. They lived together in one of my aviaries which contained a couple of open hutches and assorted junk for them to play with. About two months ago I noticed the Buck trying to have sex with the brown doe, The next day I found him dead. So I now had a white and a brown doe, A week ago I found that the brown doe had made a nest with hay and fur in one of the hutches. I then noticed that the white doe tried to mount the brown doe. We caught the white one and found that it was a Buck. So we removed him and put him in his own aviary. We examined the brown doe and she does not appear to be pregnant. But what about the nest she built.?

Six months ago I bought 2 baby does and a baby buck. They lived together in one of my aviaries which contained a couple of open hutches and assorted junk for them to play with. About two months ago I noticed the Buck trying to have sex with the brown doe, The next day I found him dead. So I now had a white and a brown doe, A week ago I found that the brown doe had made a nest with hay and fur in one of the hutches. I then noticed that the white doe tried to mount the brown doe. We caught the white one and found that it was a Buck. So we removed him and put him in his own aviary. We examined the brown doe and she does not appear to be pregnant. But what about the nest she built.?

How have you decided she is not pregnant? You say she doesnt appear to be pregnant?

I suspect she will be.

I understood that the Doe builds her nest a short time before she gives birth, a matter of days in fact. (Reading what the experts say)
Feeling her tummy it is perfectly soft.
This is my first experience with Rabbits. I had a thought that perhaps she had given birth and being the first time may have eaten the babies.

Hello and welcome.

Unfortunatly if you keep unneutered male and female rabbits together the result is baby bunnies.

A doe usually gives birth approx 30-32 days after mating so until more than 30 days have passed since you separated the rabbits you will not know if your rabbit is pregnant. As they are prey animals there are no outward signs of pregnancy and it is unwise for anyone other than a vet who is familiar with rabbit anatomy to feel for kits. I believe rabbits vary in the time they build the nest and of course will do so even when not pregnant (fantom pregnancy) and even males have been known to build!

So really its a waiting game, fingers crossed for no babies :wave:

Oh dear what a mess :(

How old are they? You need to keep them seperate and makesure shes not pregnant. Were there any marks on the buck that died?

I suggest you get your buck castrated and wait until you know whether your doe is pregnant, if she isnt have her spayed and bond them properly.

Thanks everybody.
The Buck that died had no marks he appeared to have died in his sleep.
I have no problem about the Doe having babies. I live in a remote part of Guatemala and do not have vet facilities available. I have plenty of accomodation. My principal occupation is research on the fish of our large local Lake. I also have Budgies and I am also raising baby parrots at the moment which are very mischievious and have to be hand fed 3 times a day. The two bunnies we have, have completely different personalities. The White Buck we called nervous nelly because he would go hide when we went into the Aviary. The brown Doe was usually waiting at the door and would hop around our feet with no fear,
So I guess it is now a waiting game. I will wait until the end of the month and if nothing happens then I will introduce the Doe to the Buck for a brief romance. I was hoping that they would live together naturally but I suppose that is not possible as they would "breed like rabbits":lol:

So I guess it is now a waiting game. I will wait until the end of the month and if nothing happens then I will introduce the Doe to the Buck for a brief romance.
they will almost certainly get pregnant if you do that. is it your intention to have kits? because, with no vet around, that could prove very dangerous and possibly fatal for your doe.

I was hoping that they would live together naturally but I suppose that is not possible as they would "breed like rabbits":lol:
quite. you'll also find it very difficult to get 2 does to get on without them being spayed, I think 2 bucks is more likely but still very difficult.

they will almost certainly get pregnant if you do that. is it your intention to have kits? because, with no vet around, that could prove very dangerous and possibly fatal for your doe.

quite. you'll also find it very difficult to get 2 does to get on without them being spayed, I think 2 bucks is more likely but still very difficult.

Actually its more likely unspayed does will get on (although i doubt it), two entire bucks will never get on.

I really dont think its a good idea to just let your buns breed like that with no vet around, slightly irresponsible dont you think? :?

Last edited:
I was hoping that they would live together naturally but I suppose that is not possible as they would "breed like rabbits":lol:

And inbreed too which would cause all sorts of health problems. If you have babies they will probably all have to be separated before they reach sexual maturity. Sadly, you'll probably have no end of problems even keeping the sexes together as rabbits are hormone fuelled little devils and they will fight amongst themselves in same sex groups. Not to mention if you got it wrong when sexing and put a male in with all the females. Doesn't bear thinking about - population explosion! Most of us here that have pairs of rabbits only manage it without fighting or overpopulation because they have been neutered.

Sounds like you live an interesting life full of animals. :wave:

Actually its more likely unspayed does will get on, two entire bucks will never get on.
learn something new every day! I always thought it was does who are more territorial.
OP, if you don't have a vet around maybe rabbits aren't the best pet for you.

learn something new every day! I always thought it was does who are more territorial.
OP, if you don't have a vet around maybe rabbits aren't the best pet for you.

If they are litter sisters they quite often will get on, when i was younger we had two unspayed dutch does who lived very happily together in a hige avairy (we didnt know any about having to spay them), bucks never will unless they are neutered, they will always fight once hormones kick in. I wouldnt advise ever keeping un-neutered buns together though :wave:

Actually its more likely unspayed does will get on (although i doubt it), two entire bucks will never get on.

Never say never! Recently two entire males were surrendered to a rescue over east! They get on like best buddies. It may not be common, but there are always exceptions to the rule. Wouldn't recommend it though - I have read of the damage two entire bucks can do to each other.

I had two buck who lived together for over a year with no problems it was only when I got other rabbits the problems started they are all now neautered or spayed so no problems

Really!!!! Wow ive never heard of two adult entire bucks living happily together, i guess if theres no other buns around, no does its possible.

Thank you everybody. This is all a bit of a shock.
For the last 16 years I have lived without most modern services. Only recently have I had access to a supermarket 20 miles away in the nearby town. Chickens, dogs, horses and pigs roam the streets and reproduce naturally. The people reproduce in a similar fashion although we do have a primitive Hospital in the town where you have a 50/50 chance of survival. If you don’t have money to buy medicines the Hospital only has basic antibiotics.
Some people keep rabbits but they only have a fenced enclosure to keep out dogs and the bunnies build their own warren and control their own affairs. We don’t have wild rabbits here. I am one of the few people in the village that keeps cats. They live outside and patrol the grounds surrounding the house, keeping it clear of vermin and reptiles. I am unable to have them fixed and they do what comes naturally, although not amongst themselves. Only an occasional visiting Tom causes me to yell at them for having loose morals. My own boys often go exploring and sometimes they do not return.
I suppose therefore that my concept of having a pet animal is very different to yours. I think that the animal should lead a natural life as far as it is possible. I realize the limitations that have to be imposed by people living in a modern society in a limited space.
With regard to the Bunnies I will have to have a serious ponder. I would like to have the experience of seeing a Doe raise her young. After that I will have to have another think.
I am still trying to determine which breed I have. To me they look like a regular bunny with big erect ears, one is albino and the other a blend of darkish brown fur with no unusual features. I have photos but can't find a way to post them. They weigh about 8 lbs. At first I thought American Sable but later pictures didn’t match but I will soon sort this out.
Once again many thanks for your input.

Here is a photo of my bunnies when young.
bunnies.jpg

Back