• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which wood for buns - mdf toxic??

kaths101

Warren Veteran
:wave: im going to take advantage of B&Qs free delivery weekend and get some wood for the inside of my bunny shed - I know there is one that is toxic to buns - what is it??

mdf?? Ive got the choice of plywood, mdf, chipboard, hardboard and OSB - No idea what to get :oops: whats best???

You don't want MDF (has glue in it, plus it gets soggy when wet), hardboard (same but thinner!), chipboard (also has glue in it and bunnies can tear it apart). Not sure about OSB but it looks like MDF and Chipboard so I wouldn't use that either.

Plywood is what you want! Exterior grade is probably best even though it's going inside your shed you still might have damp etc. Paint it with some animal safe paint to protect it.

If you want a significant amount then timber merchants are usually cheaper, B&Q are quite expensive.

Definately exterior grade plywood.

I had several sheets a few weeks ago - 8ft x 4ft were £19 each incl vat, so that'll give you an idea how B&Q prices compare - got mine from the local timber merchant

Defo exterior plywood. I have found wood to be much cheaper at timber merchants than Wickes/B and Q. Chipboard and mdf are not good due to basically being sawdust bonded together with glue. You need to wear a mask when you cut them too as the dust can get in your lungs.

I would only ever use plywood and pine as they can chew it without causing problems.

:wave: Ply - OH did our buns 6x4 shed with some from Wickes £22 a sheet today he bought 3 sheets but needs one more, you need a van though they are big sheets. Mind you he is doing the whole shed roof aswell, he is a chippy so cut round the cat flap even :roll::lol:

ooo Vicki, can I borrow your OH :lol:
I havent got a van, I will probably have to get it delivered... :roll:

ooo Vicki, can I borrow your OH :lol:
I havent got a van, I will probably have to get it delivered... :roll:

:lol: He is handy I must admit, he has done a cracking job today - yes it does pay to have a van sometimes, although tax and MOT due this month on the car and van - bad times :(

Check on the delivery though Kath, it might pay to hire a van at short notice or something for a half day - you have to barter for things like that - credit crunch and all that! If you were nearer I would get him to help :(

:lol: He is handy I must admit, he has done a cracking job today - yes it does pay to have a van sometimes, although tax and MOT due this month on the car and van - bad times :(

Check on the delivery though Kath, it might pay to hire a van at short notice or something for a half day - you have to barter for things like that - credit crunch and all that! If you were nearer I would get him to help :(

Yes I will go down to my local timber merchants tomorrow and ask about delivery..

- Last time I went I had quite a low cut top on and got a whole sheet of Polystene insulation for free and he cut it all for size for me ;)
Might try that again :lol:

Yes I will go down to my local timber merchants tomorrow and ask about delivery..

- Last time I went I had quite a low cut top on and got a whole sheet of Polystene insulation for free and he cut it all for size for me ;)
Might try that again :lol:

:lol: Why not - go girl! Afterall it's for the bunnies anyway not you really ;)

Back