• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rearguard??

Do you use Rearguard?

• Yes, it's never had a bad effect on my buns

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Yes, but they react badly to it

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • No, I use other ways to keep the flies off them (explain please :))

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • No, it just isn't necessary

Votes: 19 43.2%

• Total voters

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
Do people use rearguard? I'm sure I've read about some buns having a bad reaction to it? I'm doing a poll hang fire...

don't use rear guard, just make sure they have clean bedding and regularly check them
do have something called fly free though from beaphar

Yep, I do. Flystrike can kill a bun within hours - IMO it's just not worth the risk. Mine have never had a bad reaction to it, though they certainly aren't impressed when that lil bottle appears!

I have used it for the first time this year, they were only baby buns last summer. I found it very difficult to apply but they haven't had any reaction to it. I also do plenty of bum checks, change litter often and sweep up any stray poops daily!

I just keep mine clean and make sure bottoms aren't dirty. Nothing earthshattering I'm afraid. A vet suggested that I keep the rabbits apart for 12 - 14 hours before I put them together after using it. Not sure if that's necessary but it does indicate that there might be a chance of some kind of reaction if a bun licked it doesn't it?:?

I got some last year I think but haven't used it

They're clean buns, not over weight or have reduced mobility or anything so are at a low risk. I clean their box out 1-2 times a day in the summer/when its warmer and do regular bum checks

If a rabbit it healthy, not overweight, has a good diet and housing is kept clean I don't feel the need to use extra chemicals on them as long as they are checked regularly. A partner helps too with grooming etc.

I was 'given' some by the vets a few years ago for a bunny. When I read 'not for use for rabbits intended for human consumption' (or similar wording) it got me thinking ... it's poison. It kills the eggs when they are on your bunny - what the hell is it doing to your bunny at the same time? I always worry about neurological damage etc with poisons of this type. I returned it to the vets for a refund and I just check and keep them and living space clean. If they day comes I have an elderly/severely disabled bunny that can't keep itself clean then I would consider it, but otherwise I don't want to put poison on my bunnies!!

Hmm, I always thought I would be fine, Jas and Daphne don't get sticky bums anymore, but there are always flies in their litter tray :shock: and it's started to worry me. Never seen anything on the rabbits though and I check them often, and keep them and their bedding clean. I think with there being the three of them all pooing and weeing in one place it seems very concentrated very fast.

Hmm, I always thought I would be fine, Jas and Daphne don't get sticky bums anymore, but there are always flies in their litter tray :shock: and it's started to worry me. Never seen anything on the rabbits though and I check them often, and keep them and their bedding clean. I think with there being the three of them all pooing and weeing in one place it seems very concentrated very fast.

What about using megazorb in the tray? Or maybe you use that anyway. Would you have time to clean out twice per day? Extra litter tray? I dunno!!!! I DUNNO!!!! :shock: How's the nailless wonder?

I used it once when Feegal was on his own. But watching him licking it off, when a human cant eat a bun who has had it, made me freak.

The litter trays are cleaned out once a day and I have not seen any flies.

I hope to god I don't live to regret not using it though:?

What about using megazorb in the tray? Or maybe you use that anyway. Would you have time to clean out twice per day? Extra litter tray? I dunno!!!! I DUNNO!!!! :shock: How's the nailless wonder?

I do use Megazorb, they have two trays but don't really use the other one (Calm down dear :lol:)

She is ok, it seems to be growing back already, I need to trim her other nails but can't find my nail clippers. OH had them last and he never puts anything away :evil:

I used it once when Feegal was on his own. But watching him licking it off, when a human cant eat a bun who has had it, made me freak.

The litter trays are cleaned out once a day and I have not seen any flies.

I hope to god I don't live to regret not using it though:?

Yeah, that was my concern with using it. Especially as mine reopened their spay wounds :shock: they definitely wouldn't tolerate Rearguard. I've stuck some fly paper on the outside of their hutch (where they can't reach it). I hope that should help

Ive always used rearguard when i had daisy and truffle, i got some for charlie and gracie on advice from the vets but havent used it yet as everyone on here has scared me after reading side effects of it :shock:

Ive got some of the beaphar fly stuff too but havent used that either, i suppse you could say im prepared :) xxx

Seems to be one of those 50/50 split things :)

I know Julie, I was scared off by the stories on here too :shock::lol:

I used it on Kermit when i first read about fly strike and got freaked out. I only used it once.

I haven't bothered since.

I check my bunsters bums.....i have to clean Inca's twice a day anyways!

Seems to be one of those 50/50 split things :)

I know Julie, I was scared off by the stories on here too :shock::lol:

Well i used it on both my girls and had no problems whatsoever, one particular year we had flies galore and didnt want to risk them getting fly strike so i used it :) xx

Well i used it on both my girls and had no problems whatsoever, one particular year we had flies galore and didnt want to risk them getting fly strike so i used it :) xx

There do seem to be a lot more flies this summer than last. And I guess if vets recommend it... hmm... xxx

There do seem to be a lot more flies this summer than last. And I guess if vets recommend it... hmm... xxx

If your buns get even the slightest mucky bum go for it!
try the beaphar one i think you get 5 buns bums done with one bottle.

If charlie or gracie get the slightest mucky bum im def going to be using mine, the reason i havent used it yet is because they are both post neuter so i thought id wait until 6 weeks has passed. xxxxxxxxx

Back