• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please - amputee's

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Hi,

Noodle recently underwent a hind leg amputation. (2 weeks ago)

She keeps trying to scratch her ear but obviously cant-and just wiggles the stump - and she cant clean her ear.............

So i have been scratching her ear and face for her - but today she was going mad trying to shake her head and bash it on something- i ran to her and looked in her ear ?(the one she cant reach) and she pushed her head onto my finger, further and further down her ear - just like she did shen she used to clean inside them- then she stopped- and licked the wax off my finger ( was more like an oily sheen)

It was a bit gross but i feel so sorry for her- it was so odd to watch- she was using my finger and nail like her own foot.

Is this ok? I didnt want to push my finger in her ear to far but she did it herself- moving her ear how she wanted!

I feel strange..............but happy that it hade her feel better

Any advice from amputee bunny mummys on how to combat these itches? I cant do her any harm can I?

You will need to clean the ear for her for the rest of her life :)

Sometimes a wee bit of olive oil will help clear the wax or ask your Vet for a suitable ear cleaner. You will also need to groom the side of her face, around her whiskers, that she cant get at. Otherwise the whisker follicles can get scabby.

You will need to clean the ear for her for the rest of her life :)

Sometimes a wee bit of olive oil will help clear the wax or ask your Vet for a suitable ear cleaner. You will also need to groom the side of her face, around her whiskers, that she cant get at. Otherwise the whisker follicles can get scabby.

yeah the whiskers are a bit stuck together- she is such a cuddle bun but wont let me near them? how do you suggest I clean then? water or a shampoo or some sort?

Its really stuck on from where a bit of her meds missed her mouth...

If its dried meds then just use a cosmetic cotton wool pad diped in cooled boiled water. Dont use any shampoo on her :)

Back