• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocks advice please

lildebs

Mama Doe
Just watching Oscar jump off his shelf I noticed a pink mark on his back paw, so went and picked him up and his right back paw is pink (towards the heel) no fur on it, not bleeding or red that I could see just pink.
So I'm panicking :( what's caused it and how to treat it, can I change anyting in their set up.

Wondering if it's the run area of the kennel as their hay baskets are mainly there and they like to sit on the stool, or inside shavings on 1st level and 2nd level is carpeted, could it be the carpet (friction), there is also a litter tray in run area one on ground floor shed area, one on 1st shelf, 2nd shelf which is carpeted they sleep on.
Shall I move the hay inside so they're not on the hard surface all the time?

My poor boy, they've both been healthy and this is a first of any probs, I feel like I've done something wrong.

Any advice please?

Yes sore hocks need a soft natural surface, ideally grass for the majority of the day, if thats not possible lots and lots of hay, keeping nails short, there are few threads on sore hocks already with lots of tips from other people.

Thankyou! I have looked at a few old threads and one by PL, I haven't applied anything to the sore area, think dry is best. I'm about to go out and change their environment and have a closer look at Oscar's paw.
I've booked him in the vet at 9am tomorrow to have it looked at in any case.
Would straw be softer than hay for their levels? I have bales of hay so it's not very soft? I have no grassed area at all, what should I put in the run area of kennel do you think?

my old rosie has sore hocks, vet gave us bactroban ointment to apply to affected areas, her left leg is worse then the right, last week i actually padded her feet and bandaged them, and she didn't mind, if the legs get bad, ive heard some people using baby socks

if your bunny is indoors vetbed is best to use, they say

I've adjusted their accomodation, with areas of fleece, thick blanket and area stacked with hay...I'm thinking the run area may be the cause...concrete so there's only one hay basket now and their water and stool, thick blanket on the floor.
Looked again at Oscars paw and surrounding fur which seems to help cover the area but when you move it there's a bald patch

Angel one of my bridge bunnies had sore hocks.In her run i used rubber stable matting.It was really good and easy to clean etc

Back