• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to check for flystrike with a struggling bunny

HI,

I have just got a new rabbit - a friend for my existing bunny Honey. As I have had Honey for over 3 years he is easy to handle and pick up. The new rabbit is only 6 months old and still getting used to her surroundings etc. She does not like being picked up. I can pick her up but she struggles and absolutely hates it. The question is - that normally I check Honey for flystrike and put him on my lap and also turn him over on his back to check. Does anyone have any suggestions how to check my new rabbit while she is still unsure of being handled and picked up - as obviously it makes it difficult to check underneath etc. Should I just be firm with her or is there another way of doing this as I do not want to scare her as she is getting more friendly now.

I lost one of my rabbits to flystrike this summer and do not want this to happen again. She did have problems keeping her self clean and I was checking her everyday but still managed to miss the signs until it was too late.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Linda

Hi and welcome :D :wave:

I've got a couple of buns who hate being handled. I usually feed them something tasty and while they're busy eating and preferably tugging (it seems to distract them more!) I have a good feel around the bum area, underneath.

Anyone else got any advice?? :wave:

i hope someone else will give you better advice than me, but i have been known to lie on my belly and gently lift their tail, if it looks and smells clean then i take some comfort from that. if they are hungry and enjoying it they will get used to this little intrusion into thier privacy:oops:

Prevention is key. Fly screens to stop flies getting into her hutch where (I'm guessing) she spends the majority of her day will keep her safe for a large part of the day. Likewise on the run if that is possible. If she free ranges or has a run that would be difficult to put a fly screen on, try to make sure she's only out in the later part of the evening, when there are less flies around.

A clean toilet area/litter tray goes without saying.

And when giving her new things to eat, make sure it really is a little bit at a time, so that it minimises the chances of upsetting her tummy so that she doesn't get a dirty bum.

This is what I do with my two, and we're doing ok so far :D. Well, they are doing ok. I'm feeling pretty anxious most of the time, but they're are happier not being checked, and we all remain uninjured!!

A healthy bun with no weight issues is relatively low risk. Not NO risk, but low risk.

Stinky herby plants are supposed to repel flies too, like lavendar, lemon balm, sage etc, so it might be good to have some of those around her hutch/run. Citronella oil is supposed to be good too. Soak cotton wall balls in citronella oil, wrap them in muslim material and hang them/pin them to her hutch.

xxx

Last edited:
i hope someone else will give you better advice than me, but i have been known to lie on my belly and gently lift their tail, if it looks and smells clean then i take some comfort from that. if they are hungry and enjoying it they will get used to this little intrusion into thier privacy:oops:
thats excactly the same as wot i do :oops::oops::oops:

Princess was terrible at first and someone advised a mirror underneath her, that worked while she was still :roll:

now shes better though and lets me lay her back in her arms, only for a lil while though

Princess was terrible at first and someone advised a mirror underneath her, that worked while she was still :roll:

now shes better though and lets me lay her back in her arms, only for a lil while though

A mirror what a good idea. I will try that.:D
But what if someone sees me flat on the floor with a mirror sliding it under my bunnys bum,:oops: do you think they would be entitled to think i was a bit odd:oops: and god forbid, a bit pervy:lol::lol::lol:

A mirror what a good idea. I will try that.:D
But what if someone sees me flat on the floor with a mirror sliding it under my bunnys bum,:oops: do you think they would be entitled to think i was a bit odd:oops: and god forbid, a bit pervy:lol::lol::lol:

:lol: when I was first doing it the oh asked me why on earth I wanted to look at a rabbits bum, and was I that way inclined :lol:

Sorry, that was not a helpful post for checking a struggling bunny bum, its not easy, put it that way:roll: but you are not the only one wrestling with your bun.
I am very sad you had the upset of loosing a bunny friend to the dreaded flystrike. Its not a laughing matter.
Sometimes we joke about the things we fear the most:(

Hey,

Thanks for all the advice. Honey is such a cutie he just like a little dog he lets me do anything - and the rabbit I lost - she didn't like being handled but would tolerate it and got much better as time went on. I think the fly nets are a good idea - I bought a whole roll of it on ebay and you can cut it to size. It was actually the one year I didn't use netting that Jazz got flystrike. I had actually turned her upside down and checked her but she was just a bit wet underneath and I did not relate this to flystrike - so just to warn others. If your rabbit seems moist underneath this can be the start of it. Even on the day she was diagnosed with it I still had not seen any maggots and had her on my lap checking her - so you really do have to pull all the crevices etc open by their tail etc as this is where they hide. But as I say she had had a problem keeping her self clean - just before I had cleaned her again and also sprayed her with flyguard. There was also a horrible smell so this is another sign to look out for. I was so upset to lose her like this as she was like one of the family. Thanks for all your tips and I am glad I am not the only one struggling!! I tried to pick the new rabbit up today but the legs went flying again!! Another tip is to use a magnifying glass as you can apparently see the lava before they form into maggots. Honey was with Jazz all the time but he was lucky that he did not get anything - I think she could have had an underlying problem that made them pick on her. It happens so quick that you really do have to be on your guard but the netting is a must - I would advise this to anyone - you can buy rolls of it on ebay. I felt so guilty about Jazz as it was the one thing I always dreaded and did everything I could to prevent it. I thought she had a urine infection as she was wet and smelly and I had actually booked a vets appointment for that morning not knowing it was fly strike - but when I went to check her around 10.00 a.m. I noticed a couple of maggots on her and rushed her to the vet - but it was too late. The vet showed me all the places they hide so you really do have to check quite thoroughly. I don't want to scare anyone - and I do think she had underlying health problems - but if you have any doubts go straight to the vets and also if they have recurring problems with keeping themselves clean. Thanks again for the tips!!!

Hey,

Thanks for all the advice. Honey is such a cutie he just like a little dog he lets me do anything - and the rabbit I lost - she didn't like being handled but would tolerate it and got much better as time went on. I think the fly nets are a good idea - I bought a whole roll of it on ebay and you can cut it to size. It was actually the one year I didn't use netting that Jazz got flystrike. I had actually turned her upside down and checked her but she was just a bit wet underneath and I did not relate this to flystrike - so just to warn others. If your rabbit seems moist underneath this can be the start of it. Even on the day she was diagnosed with it I still had not seen any maggots and had her on my lap checking her - so you really do have to pull all the crevices etc open by their tail etc as this is where they hide. But as I say she had had a problem keeping her self clean - just before I had cleaned her again and also sprayed her with flyguard. There was also a horrible smell so this is another sign to look out for. I was so upset to lose her like this as she was like one of the family. Thanks for all your tips and I am glad I am not the only one struggling!! I tried to pick the new rabbit up today but the legs went flying again!! Another tip is to use a magnifying glass as you can apparently see the lava before they form into maggots. Honey was with Jazz all the time but he was lucky that he did not get anything - I think she could have had an underlying problem that made them pick on her. It happens so quick that you really do have to be on your guard but the netting is a must - I would advise this to anyone - you can buy rolls of it on ebay. I felt so guilty about Jazz as it was the one thing I always dreaded and did everything I could to prevent it. I thought she had a urine infection as she was wet and smelly and I had actually booked a vets appointment for that morning not knowing it was fly strike - but when I went to check her around 10.00 a.m. I noticed a couple of maggots on her and rushed her to the vet - but it was too late. The vet showed me all the places they hide so you really do have to check quite thoroughly. I don't want to scare anyone - and I do think she had underlying health problems - but if you have any doubts go straight to the vets and also if they have recurring problems with keeping themselves clean. Thanks again for the tips!!!

Sorry, that was not a helpful post for checking a struggling bunny bum, its not easy, put it that way:roll: but you are not the only one wrestling with your bun.
I am very sad you had the upset of loosing a bunny friend to the dreaded flystrike. Its not a laughing matter.
Sometimes we joke about the things we fear the most:(

Laughter and smiling is always the best way to deal things in my opinion ;)

xxx

Back