• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How old is too old to go lop?

Rue

Warren Scout
A couple of months ago, I adopted lovely rabbit "Pierre" (although he didn't answer to that, and it didn't seem to be his name at all, so he now prefers to be called Jeremy :roll::D), and was told he was between a year and a half, and two years, I think.

A few days ago, one of his ears has gone all lop. Is he perhaps younger than the vet thought, or can their ears drop at this age? Or is it something else like ear mites, in which case, how do I check for this?

Thanks!

Hi :D

I think that one of the ways bunnys cool themselves is that a lot of blood goes to their ears as they have large surface areas. This makes the ears heavier than normal so any ears with a bit of a lean are more likely in the really hot weather to head towards a helicopter effect (which you sound like you have with Jeremy - love the name!) or at a push a full lop!

Have a look inside the ear anyway and make sure it's nice and clean - if you see any sign of anything untoward, heads for the vets!

Thanks!

His ear is still flopped, i've looked inside to see if there is anything unusual, but it all looks fine. He does seem to be shaking his head, and scratching at that ear from time to time, so it looks like I will have to see a vet.

Back