• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How is youngest to be spayed/neutered?

pinkyblare

Alpha Buck
Right i have been to vets 3 diff times and asked them to sex Toto and Flopsy breeder seemed to think were both girls, but they are 4 months now and started humping and i am getting urgent now to get them sorted, i have just phoned vets stating my disappointment that they havent been able to sex my bunnies and how i was considering changing vets lady on phone says bring them down asap and i wilk make sure we can find a vet that will sex them (they have loads vets at main branch) i also asked about Lapinject she said they could order it but would have to order in batch on 10? as the only use Cylap and not had any reports of reactions.

Now if firstly if we discover Flopsy is in fact a boy do i get an emergency spay for Toto (incase of preg already?) or get Flopsy (boy done) as matter of urgency obviously i will have to separate them on return home if they are diff sex i just dont know how we will do that though as will need go out a buy a new hutch something i just cant afford right now :( i am such a pickle over this i dont want suprise babies but just how can i keep them separate and i dont want them lose that bond they love each other so much aswell it will be horrible to split them, i do hope they are both girls for all our sakes. i realise girls hump but i just worried case they not girls

my previous appt said they would give Flopsy GA then see if balls descend whilst relaxed and do spay then otherwise wake and send home:shock: (to me that is unecessary GA just sex them for g*ds sake :roll::shock:

i do have an old dog crate that i kept toto in house with when she/he as pooly at 8 weeks old do i keep one in house till can get them done? what about the bond? they were fine after a week apart but i kept putting flopsy in to comfort toto when she was pooly but wont be able to that if got keep one in house?:(

oh what a mess i dont have time to wait for new vets next week i need them looking at today and how will i tell if one already preg they only 4 months she couldnt feel any bumps if boys so is the risk small

oh what a mess i am work now and cant wait to finish to go take them! they not ha their VHD so will they spay/neuter as matter of urgency too? if one a boy and one a girl?

:(:(:(

Last edited:
oh well no replies sulk sulk lol :(:?

i am pleased to say Toto and Flopsy are of same sex but not girls as told by breeder he wanted me book them in for neuter next week i prefer to wait till they had their VHD week on wed and to let them recover from that before putting them under more stress. Feel its all a little too much in one go what do you guys reckon?

Toto and Flopsy were both very accommodating with this rabbits savvy vet and i am pleased to of seen someone who knows what they talking about will def be asking for him with future appointments he assured me he has had no reactions with Cylap or would not be using it! made me feel much better about whole thing still slightly worried about a reaction but guess i am for any injection given to my boys (hee hee seems weird saying boys )

so would you get them done next wed then following wed get VHD jabs or wait couple weeks for neuter? they were very quiet when got home think its so hot for them and they were panting and Toto not talking to me or coming for a cuddle (says that naughty master messed with his bits):lol:

I would be worried the two boys will start fighting, so would feel the neutering is urgent otherwise if they start to fight, the bond might be harder to get back on track, but then... I would also worry about the vaccination... hmmmmm

Hope someone else can give their opinion, as I would be in same predicament as you.

I would make neuter priority seeing as they are both boys and the quicker the hormones die down the better

ok thanks for replies:wave: i will stick with what they said at vets get them done next wed then have VHD week after, what sort of price range does it vary from for you guys to have them done doh i forgot to ask after all the questions to vet about other things lol

Back