• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes and help needed for Fletcher please/hes gone

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
Little Fletcher was my foster bun, he went to live with Liz (Hugo's there) 2 weeks ago and has been poorly all this week.

He has been 'off' all week first they thought it was just the heat as he had such a high temp but the vets are now at a loss.

Liz said he looks like a different bunny to last week, really sad and not good at all, still really hot, won't eat etc. He has had all the usual meds, blood tests etc revealed nothing.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Liz is devestated, she has several poorly bunnies at the moment so vibes for all of them would be appreciated x

Last edited:
I have no ideas i'm afraid but sending vibes for Fletcher x Hope they can figure it out soon xx

So sorry to hear Fletcher is poorly:cry:
Sending mega vibes and i hope he can pull through and make a good recovery. xxx

Poor Fletcher.

We had a bunny in last week at work with a temperature and it was treated as an infection Katie. But I guess if blood tests don't show anything that is unlikely to be the cause here. I can't think of anything else from my own experience.

Hope he can recover soon.

Oh bless poor lad :cry:

I suppose the obvious has been ruled out- ie his teeth ?

Is he having SQ fluids ? I really think these make such a difference to poorly Buns, especially in this heat.

I really hope that he will feel better soon xx

Lots of vibes for Fletcher (and all of Liz's other poorly buns), I hope the vet can find the problem xx

Poor Fletcher and poor Liz :cry:
What else could possibly cause a fever? I must admit with my limited health knowledge of my kids :oops: I always thought a fever was a symptom of the body fighting an infection, so I've no clue of what else it could be if the bloods show no infection :cry:
I really hope there is some sort of breakthrough soon, sending lots of vibes x

Thanks Katie. I am at a loss and so are the vets, Fletcher is in a very bad way and we are all worried sick. :(

This is what has happened so far, its a bit long, sorry.

Sunday night first seemed a bit off, not moving around as much and only nibbling food. Put it down to heat as lots of other buns the same.

Monday morning, got up early and was completely off food and hunched in corner. Rang vet at 8 got appoint for 11 but by 9.10 rushed him up as emergency as had sudden head tilt, very shakey and was unable to use left front leg.
He was admitted with a temperature of 41.3 :shock: Was put on drip, given usual meds, antibiotics and panacur. Later in the day had perked up and was taking syringe meds well. Ate overnight, temperature down and was allowed home Tuesday morning.

Tuesday morning, looked dreadful from the minute we opened the carry box. Ate nothing all day, took syringe feed ok and put up a fight which I thought was good. Rang vets during day for advice and continued with meds. Nibbled a bit of food if put under nose but generally unresponsive to me and looking terrrible. Checked on him through the night and didn't expect him to make it through.

Wednesday morning, straight to vet once opened, temp 40.2 admitted put on drip etc again. Bloods taken, came back clear. By evening vet said he was eating like a horse but woould keep in overnight as kennel air conditioned.

Thursday morning, not as bright but allowed home at lunchtime with different antibiotics plus usual stuff. Again looked terrible. Didn't eat his tea, still not using left front paw and shakey. Put on ice pod to see if it helped, didn't, but temp normal. Rang vet in evening, they are at a complete loss and said their is nothing else we can try. Every inch of him has been checked repeatedly and nothing is showing up.

This morning has eaten a little over night but not enough. Still doesn;t acknowledge our existence but temp still normal. Isn't moving and looks so awful I am in tears:( We are collecting some more metaclop injections in an hour.

To me is seems like a severe neurological problem :? the paw thing and shaking is definately neurological. When he took some food this morning from me he waved it about in his mouth and then dropped it, it was very odd.

Can a very high temp cause permanent neurological damage to an already neurologically compromised bunny? This is the only thing I can think of.

before this Fletcher was the most wonderful friendly, lively bunny. I can hardly bear to watch him now :cry::cry:

Sorry for the long post but i am desperate for ideas. Plus this week Frank and Prudence have both been diagnosed with tumours ( devastated), Maggie was admitted at the vets and Leela had a huge bleed, as well as trying to keep the other poorly buns cool and breathing Ok :(

So sorry to hear you're having such a bad week :(

Hope all of your poorly buns are comfortable, and that you can find out what's wrong with Fletcher so that it can be treated. x

i was thinking neuro, didnt his brother suddenly pass away ?? I cant rem why

hooooge vibes for the weee lil lad :(

Thanks Katie. I am at a loss and so are the vets, Fletcher is in a very bad way and we are all worried sick. :(

This is what has happened so far, its a bit long, sorry.

Sunday night first seemed a bit off, not moving around as much and only nibbling food. Put it down to heat as lots of other buns the same.

Monday morning, got up early and was completely off food and hunched in corner. Rang vet at 8 got appoint for 11 but by 9.10 rushed him up as emergency as had sudden head tilt, very shakey and was unable to use left front leg.
He was admitted with a temperature of 41.3 :shock: Was put on drip, given usual meds, antibiotics and panacur. Later in the day had perked up and was taking syringe meds well. Ate overnight, temperature down and was allowed home Tuesday morning.

Tuesday morning, looked dreadful from the minute we opened the carry box. Ate nothing all day, took syringe feed ok and put up a fight which I thought was good. Rang vets during day for advice and continued with meds. Nibbled a bit of food if put under nose but generally unresponsive to me and looking terrrible. Checked on him through the night and didn't expect him to make it through.

Wednesday morning, straight to vet once opened, temp 40.2 admitted put on drip etc again. Bloods taken, came back clear. By evening vet said he was eating like a horse but woould keep in overnight as kennel air conditioned.

Thursday morning, not as bright but allowed home at lunchtime with different antibiotics plus usual stuff. Again looked terrible. Didn't eat his tea, still not using left front paw and shakey. Put on ice pod to see if it helped, didn't, but temp normal. Rang vet in evening, they are at a complete loss and said their is nothing else we can try. Every inch of him has been checked repeatedly and nothing is showing up.

This morning has eaten a little over night but not enough. Still doesn;t acknowledge our existence but temp still normal. Isn't moving and looks so awful I am in tears:( We are collecting some more metaclop injections in an hour.

To me is seems like a severe neurological problem :? the paw thing and shaking is definately neurological. When he took some food this morning from me he waved it about in his mouth and then dropped it, it was very odd.

Can a very high temp cause permanent neurological damage to an already neurologically compromised bunny? This is the only thing I can think of.

before this Fletcher was the most wonderful friendly, lively bunny. I can hardly bear to watch him now :cry::cry:

Sorry for the long post but i am desperate for ideas. Plus this week Frank and Prudence have both been diagnosed with tumours ( devastated), Maggie was admitted at the vets and Leela had a huge bleed, as well as trying to keep the other poorly buns cool and breathing Ok :(

Is he on Panacur ?
Also, is he having all medication by injection ? I find that giving oral meds to a very poorly Bun just doesn't work :?

With the bloods, was it just LFTs and U+Es ?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to think of something helpful for Fletcher.

Oh, has he had a urinalysis ?

I'm so sorry, poor Fletcher :cry:

Sending millions of vibes for poorly Fletcher, as well as poor Frank and Prudence, Maggie and Leela.

Big hugs Liz. x

Is he on Panacur ?
Also, is he having all medication by injection ? I find that giving oral meds to a very poorly Bun just doesn't work :?

With the bloods, was it just LFTs and U+Es ?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to think of something helpful for Fletcher.

Oh, has he had a urinalysis ?

Yes he's on panacur, started it on monday morning as soon as we found out he hadn't had a course recently. He is having oral meds except the metaclopromide but I don't even have to pick him up to pop them in. he just sits there for me, doesn't seem to bother him.

Not sure about which bloods, just said everything came back completely spot on normal. No urinalysis to my knowledge.

And yes his brother did pass away suddenly, it was thought it could be liver related but don't think a PM was done.

To me it screams neurological but don't know if there is anything we can do to find out or treat it :? Or what has caused it :(

I'm so sorry, poor Fletcher :cry:

Sending millions of vibes for poorly Fletcher, as well as poor Frank and Prudence, Maggie and Leela.

Big hugs Liz. x

thanks Abbie

Maggie seems on the mend now, Leela is Ok for now, but it could happen again. Prudence is having x-rays on Mondya to see the extent of the spread and with Frank we can only keep him comfortable. So unfair after all he has been through :(

Only just saw this (sorry - book deadlines and faulty internet GRRR!). our Blackberry has had three seizure sthis week all involving ging off food, then head tilt, and paw lifting up (left) and then lethargy and not eating and high temp.

In his case we are 99.9% sure it is neurological as he is already EC brain damaged from a baby (he is now 3). Also they saw a new lesion in his other eye (he is already blind in one eye from EC).

The vets say they are seeing more neurological/EC related stuff because of the heat and poss dehydration.

He is now on lapizole, metacam and subcuts and has not had a seizure since that we know of (we are not with him 24 hrs a day) and is eating much better though still lethargic. They did not take his temperature but I know his ears are hot.

PS I did start a thread with his symptoms at the time . . will try and find but internet still wobbly

Thanks Twigs, that very interesting. I do think the heat is affecting his neurological symptoms, we have had no let up in hot weather for 2 weeks now :( although Fletcher is in the coolest room in the house.

I would consider fits if there was some let up in his behaviour but while he is here at least he is the same, dull and uninterested in life :( On a good note he has just nibbled some green and a shredded wheat but I had to open the cage and physically put it in his mouth a few times before he registered they were there. Normally he is trying to leap out the door for food or begs in his cage for it as you walk passed just on the of chance there is something for him.

Back