• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Female rabbit spay tomorrow

Laura Jo

New Kit
Hi

I am getting my 5 month old mini lop spayed tomorrow :(

At least we think she is a girl?! The breeder told us she was but she has been honking and spraying urine. We have had a look though and there is nothing there to suggest she is male (compared her to our male who we are planning to bond her to)

Really worried, please can I have some good luck vibes for little Poppy:love:

I had my 2 girls done last year at the same age, and both were perfectly fine :D

You can read some scary stories on here, but ops don't always have problems.

Mine came home the same evening, were eating/pooping fine, never touched their wounds and didn't need any aftercare - other than the standard post-op check up, at which they got the all clear!

Good luck, I'm sure she'll be fine :D

xxx

Awwww she is young isn't she, hope it goes well for her, she will need lots and lots of TLC make sure you get her favourite things, ask the vet for pain relief and critical care and some fibreplex aswell, make sure she drinks and eats before you leave her tomorrow night aswell, I made sure mine pooped and wee'd aswell.

Good luck for tomorrow, sending loads of positive vibes:love:
I'm sure she will be fine, my Bella was:)
Please let us know how she is xx

Tinker is female and honked and sprayed a good 2 ft up the walls!

have faith in your vet, all will be well :wave:

Thanks for all the good luck vibes, felt terrible leaving her this morning. Where do I get Fibreplex from and is it necessary if she is eating?
The vet said they don't give me any meds to take home, but they give her it after to make sure she's ok (they said she is best not to have too much medication?)
Will let you know how she is :cry:

Well, Poppy is definately a she which is good!
We picked her up from the vets about 2 hours ago. They said to bring her back tomorrow as she is quite young and she was shaking/shocked:cry:
They have given her painkillers etc and may need to give her more. They said she has eaten dandelions/some of her pellets at the vets today. She has given me a syringe and a sachet to feed her with if she hasn't eaten by 8ish. We keep trying to tempt her with dandelions etc but she just seems to want to slepp it off:(
Hope she eats something soon, any suggestions?

Many Thanks

keep her somewhere quiet, surround her with food and put some water in a bowl. Nic has more experience with spays, sure she'll pop on with advice and when to syringe feed xxx

Still not eating anythin, have tried tempting her with her favourite treats (mint/dandelion) but she just turns her head. We have managed to syringe feed her something with the sachet we got from the vets, will try again later.
Also, no poos or wees either and not interested in water bowl. Should I be concerned, or is it still early on? Am taking her back tomorrow morning, so hopefully she should improve a bit before then (they said she may need more medication tomorrow):(

every bun seems to be different coming round from a GA, Pye took just over 24 hours to get over a sedation this week :roll:

If you are getting food and fluids into her then that is great, every 2-4 hours I think is about normal.

Really do hope she picks up soon xxx

Thanks for the reply. Just got back from the vets. She has drank and eaten some dandelions, mint and dried apple treats. I noticed one poop before I took her to the vets and she did a few when she was there on the table:D
Unfortunately, it wasn't my normal vet on this morning and didn't think he was very knowledgeable. He gave her painkiller, gut stimulant and I asked him to syringe feed her there as my OH is at work all day and you probably know how difficult it is. Since comin home she has nibbled some hay, which is also a good sign. Just nursing her today and tempting her with food (am sure she is very sick of me by now!
So hopefully she will just keep on improving over the day :)

Back