• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam - what would you do? P6 Another Question Please re Mites!

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Twinkle had two weeks off the metacam and her weight was stable. She was eating and pooing and drinking. She seemed happy most of the time.

Only after eating did I see her looking a bit uncomfortable... eyes half shut, mouth chattering every now and then (not grinding - like she was chewing something she had found in her mouth for a few seconds at a time). Do your bunnies half shut their eyes when eating/just after eating?

Now I do not know if it is my imagination, or whether I am reading too much into it. I am one to always think negatively.

So question is, is she in pain or not at times? Does she need a daily dose of metacam?

My vet is happy for me to give her oral metacam when I feel its necessary - he said once a day if I wanted to - but am I being too paranoid and giving metacam unnecessarily?

What would you do?

Last edited:
Before she was ill she was 2kg. She went down to 1.59kg, and on metacam and zantac and gut stimulant she got up to 1.75kg. She weighed 1.73kg after two weeks off all meds.

The eyes half shut chattering teeth thing sounds a little like what Mischa does when he dreams.

AARRGGHHH! Just been outside to cover them up and Twinkle is shaking her head a lot again after the vet told me to stop the ear drops yesterday... he thinks she had ear mites before, but would they come back that strong after no drops for a day?

Its getting me down that I cant seem to get her better completely

ETA: On searching the forum for answers I have more questions!!

If Twinkle has mites then why is she being treated with antibiotic ear drops and not mite stuff called Invectim (sp?)? Also why has vet not said to treat her partner too, or clean her bedding/hutch as they are contagious?

I am not sure what I am to do with all this now... wonder if the mites caused her stasis all along?

Last edited:
I agree if she has mites I would expect ivermectin injections and a series of them- 2 or three over 2 week periods. I would also get her hutch mate done, just to be sure, although if she is a bit run down she will be more susceptible to them. It would also be good to give the hutch a good clean but the mites may be coming in on the hay, so a more effective control might be to treat her monthly with xeno 450 monthly after a course of injections this time.

Ear mites are caused by the Psoroptes Cuniculi and this can cause inflammation of the external ear canal which can be uncomfortable for bunny and cause them to shake their head. Apparently the crusty deposits in the ear can break off and keep the mites alive in bunny's surroundings for several weeks.
I think Ivermectin is the drug of choice here, from what i've read it does not actually kill the eggs but breaks the cycle of mite infestation. Badly affected buns can get ulceration in the ear I think - and maybe make bun more prone to infection in the ear so perhaps this is why the antibiotics have been prescribed?

Did the vet take a sample for analysis from the ear? To check it definitely is canker? Perhaps your vet suspects a straightforward ear infection already?
If not, Ivermectin is needed really yes.
Buns tend to get mites when they are run down with other illness or can't keep their ears clean properly due to disability for example.
I think giving the hutch a thorough clean once bunny is on the correct treatment would be sensible and after each treatment interval (ivermectin is usually once every 2 weeks). If your other bun is in good health I would be surprised if they caught it :?
I suspect your bun with the poorly ears has an under parr immune system caused by something else and that the mites in the ears are secondary to this, but anything is possible.

ETA I agree with halfpenny that it is usual to treat partner buns anyway just to make sure. :)

Ear mites are caused by the Psoroptes Cuniculi and this can cause inflammation of the external ear canal which can be uncomfortable for bunny and cause them to shake their head. Apparently the crusty deposits in the ear can break off and keep the mites alive in bunny's surroundings for several weeks.
I think Ivermectin is the drug of choice here, from what i've read it does not actually kill the eggs but breaks the cycle of mite infestation. Badly affected buns can get ulceration in the ear I think - and maybe make bun more prone to infection in the ear so perhaps this is why the antibiotics have been prescribed?

Did the vet take a sample for analysis from the ear? To check it definitely is canker?

No. Just looked in ear with his little tool :oops: I do trust my new vet so am not criticising but just wonder if we have moved on another step in her illness.

Perhaps your vet suspects a straightforward ear infection already?

He did say could be mites due to her being run down/stasis

If not, Ivermectin is needed really yes.

Buns tend to get mites when they are run down with other illness or can't keep their ears clean properly due to disability for example.

I think giving the hutch a thorough clean once bunny is on the correct treatment would be sensible and after each treatment interval (ivermectin is usually once every 2 weeks). If your other bun is in good health I would be surprised if they caught it :?

How would you clean the hutch/run on concrete? I am actually upgrading the hutch to a playhouse over the weekend so it will be completely clean in the playhouse, so would need to just clean the run somehow?

I suspect your bun with the poorly ears has an under parr immune system caused by something else and that the mites in the ears are secondary to this, but anything is possible.

Thank you for your comments.

I think an experienced vet can spot canker in the ear just by looking at it, so i'm surprised the vet diagnosed this but didn't prescribe Ivermectin? :?

To clean the hutch/run you don't need to be hugely fastidious as you would for E.C perhaps or coccidiosis.... as if bun gets back into good health their immune system will control the mite populations they carry. I would just change all the bedding and disinifect the hutch and any toys and give the run a good spray down with water and let it dry in the sunshine if you can.:)

Hope your bun feels better soon x

ETA as halfpenny says - check your recent hay - if it is a bale from a farm I would personally bin it and order some more hay or buy some bagged for a while just to rule this out as a source of the infestation.

I think an experienced vet can spot canker in the ear just by looking at it, so i'm surprised the vet diagnosed this but didn't prescribe Ivermectin? :?

To clean the hutch/run you don't need to be hugely fastidious as you would for E.C perhaps or coccidiosis.... as if bun gets back into good health their immune system will control the mite populations they carry. I would just change all the bedding and disinifect the hutch and any toys and give the run a good spray down with water and let it dry in the sunshine if you can.:)

Hope your bun feels better soon x

ETA as halfpenny says - check your recent hay - if it is a bale from a farm I would personally bin it and order some more hay or buy some bagged for a while just to rule this out as a source of the infestation.

I got a new bale of hay yesterday so am using that, but have put it in the same container as the old hay was in.. would it spread? Also been using bagged hay - Oxbow and other stuff from Hay Experts.

Thank you for responding x

ETA: I have Jeyes fluid.. can I use that on the concrete run?

I got a new bale of hay yesterday so am using that, but have put it in the same container as the old hay was in.. would it spread? Also been using bagged hay - Oxbow and other stuff from Hay Experts.

Yes the mites would spread if one bale was contaminated heavily. Might be worth asking if the farm you get it from has animals? The bales I get - boxed up, come from a farm that doesn't have animals so we've always been lucky in that respect, although they did have an infestation of book lice once and a few years ago we had them in our boxes - they cause no harm to bunnies as live on the yeasts and hay mites on the hay itself.

I would put the bales to one side for the mo and just use the bagged hay unless you are certain the bales are ok? Humidity and heat will increase mite populations naturally and it has been very warm and muggy.

I would not personally use Jeyes as it contains ammonia doesn't it? I think I would just wash it down with water and let it dry right out in the sun before putting the buns back in. But it's up to you. :)

Yes the mites would spread if one bale was contaminated heavily. Might be worth asking if the farm you get it from has animals? The bales I get - boxed up, come from a farm that doesn't have animals so we've always been lucky in that respect, although they did have an infestation of book lice once and a few years ago we had them in our boxes - they cause no harm to bunnies as live on the yeasts and hay mites on the hay itself.

I would put the bales to one side for the mo and just use the bagged hay unless you are certain the bales are ok? Humidity and heat will increase mite populations naturally and it has been very warm and muggy.

I would not personally use Jeyes as it contains ammonia doesn't it? I think I would just wash it down with water and let it dry right out in the sun before putting the buns back in. But it's up to you. :)

How can such tiny creatures cause so much trouble :?

I used the same hay for Pickle/Pootle and they have not been itching at all.

If you use Jeyes- keep your cats from the area until it drys.

Canaural Ear Drops will treat some ear mites

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Dec...ops__Suspension_for_Dogs_and_Cats/-36458.html

Ivermectin is a nasty chemical and IMO should only be used if absolutely essential and on the advice of a Vet who has examined the Rabbit xx

Thanks.

I have rung Mark at Trinity and left a message for him to call me. Apparently she had an Invectimin injection around 26th June..

I hope I can get this long drawn out saga sorted for Twinkle :(

Spoke to vet. Am to continue the antibiotic ear drops until next Wednesday when Twinkle sees him again. She had a mite injection towards the end of June apparently but I didnt realise. Seriously thinking of moving house to Maidstone :lol:

Back