• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spay advice - post op. Several issues........U/D page 2- only grass?

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Twig is back from her spay, she also had a few molars filed whilst she was under as she had a few spikes........

She is back but not eating :( I know this is to be expected for a short while. She has only been home an hour. She had a sip of water but thats all. Do dentals cause buns to not want to eat too?

They have used disolvable stitches with glue...... She is wearing noodles 'nighty' but not sure that will stop her getting to the stitches if she decides to chew them........

Do many people on here have problems with does pulling spay stitches??? Do they rupture easily?

The nurse at the vets say they spay loads of does but No-one ever brings them back in with aftercare problems.

Also, they said to keep her 'rested' and away from other buns for ten days - that seems a bit excessive? I was thinking maybe 3 or 4 - is this wrong?

any advice welcome please. I have never been through this with a doe. Just a buck (cleo was spayed by the rescue when I had her) I have also never had a bun thats had molars filed....

Thanks

Jemma

Last edited:
Sorry hun, only been through castration and the after affects of an op but it took Pye a long time to come round after his GA's, he's such a wuss tho!

NicolaTervit had awful problems with her girls after spays but then I've heard many stories where they are fine.

I was told after both ops that Pye wouldn't be totally healed till after 10 days, so keep him quiet and confined for a couple and then he was a llowed out but no jumping on the couch or anything over stressful on his wound.

Hope she pulls round soon, sending loads of vibes xxx

Sorry hun, only been through castration and the after affects of an op but it took Pye a long time to come round after his GA's, he's such a wuss tho!

NicolaTervit had awful problems with her girls after spays but then I've heard many stories where they are fine.

I was told after both ops that Pye wouldn't be totally healed till after 10 days, so keep him quiet and confined for a couple and then he was a llowed out but no jumping on the couch or anything over stressful on his wound.

Hope she pulls round soon, sending loads of vibes xxx

Thank you!!

What awful problems did she have???

I have put food, hay, grass, fresh sage, oat rings (about 1ch square of hob nob too) crunchy cubes , dried veg treats, apple treats and locust bean treats!!!! She has a little pile in her cage but she not interested!

Shes now digging newspaper.............

Both of them pulled their stitches :shock: little beggars, they are daft Geordie girls tho so I wouldn't worry too much:)

Sounds like she's perked up if she's having a dig! Did she get pain killers metacam maybe?)

Her mouth might feel a bit weird I would guess, sorry not had personal exp with a dental bun and I would guess if she's like Pye then she'll also be feeling mega sorry for herself, Just keep her surrounded with nice foods and a bowl of water and she should be ok x

My advice would be to leave her in a quiet, dark room and just check on her every hour (or half hour) and tempt her with nice things to eat. She has had a big op for a bun and needs to rest. Apple is usually worth a try along with dandelion leaves. I do think taht buns tastes change after GA and they go for things that aren't usually a favourite. I think after being in a bright room with lots of strange people at the vets, they like somewhere quiet and dark. As soon as i leave mine in the dark, out they come from their hiding place in the indoor cage (i usually put the smaller carrier in the cage so they can hide)

It can take a good while for her start eating and pooing. Amber didn't start pooing until i rang the vets in the morning - as soon as i came off the phone there was a big mound of poos :roll: If she hasn't eaten and pooed by late morning tomorrow you would need to have a chat with your vet. Some buns need extra gut meds afterwards

Did you get pain relief?

Hope bun eats/poos soon:)

Hi, I had problems with maisy after her spay...

If she is not eating or hasn't wee'ed/pooed when you wake up I would get her to the vets. Maisy was on metacam, zantac, fibre plex, maxalon and syringe feed cuz she wasn't eating. It felt like forever but she got there in the end!

Also 2 days after the spay we went back to the vets and she had torn open where she had been cut open on the inside and she basically had a hernia. Vets said it could of happen from one jump. So i know 10 days seems alot and cruel but I would definatly stick to this!

Hope she is ok :)

thanks all. Just offered dandelion leaves, and wild strawberry leaves..........

will leave her for a bit......... i can be way to attentive- just scared to leave her incase she gets he stitchs.........

also. When i put her cloak on i felt under her and she had nipples! is this normal? they are quite prominent......

I wouldn't expected her to be eating yet if she has only been home an hour, so don't worry too much, see how she is in a little while, if she hasn't eaten by morning back to the vets.

also. When i put her cloak on i felt under her and she had nipples! is this normal? they are quite prominent......

Yep, I noticed maisys nipples a day or two before she went for her spay but afterwards they were much bigger. The vet commented on it too just saying that she had swollen nipples (mammary glands i think) The vet gave me no reason to worry about it at all. They aren't even noticable now :)

she has been munching VERY sparingly and has only tiny tiny poos! but its better than lST NIGHT. will have to syringe her some water later. She has been eating ONLY grass (3 / 4 pieces) and the occasional leaf of rocket or dendelion. Think maybe her mouth is sore its like she only wants soft things and sparingly.............

Is there a limit on how much fresh stuff she should have if its ALL she will have?

I'm not sure about limits sorry, normally when Pye isn't eating I'll give him anything he wants but I'm a soft touch :oops: hope she feels better soon, glad she's managing something on her own x

Back